The joys of shopping online!

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Re: The joys of shopping online!

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Those three legged fuses were designed to meet the strict rules on the Isle of Man!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

mickthemaverick wrote: 06 Jan 2023, 08:12
CitroJim wrote: 06 Jan 2023, 07:58 A special fuse to allow both positive and negative legs to be fused simultaneously ;) :lol:
Come on Jim you'll be confusing people, that is clearly a 3 phase fuse!! :-D

Love it! You're absolutely right Mick :-D :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Hell Razor5543 wrote: 06 Jan 2023, 08:16 Those three legged fuses were designed to meet the strict rules on the Isle of Man!
Cracker :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
bobins
Donor 2023

Post by bobins »

I think those three legged fuses were designed to overcome the fact that an awful lot of people didn't realise that the two legged ones were directional and they'd been putting them in the wrong way 'round :lol:
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Hell Razor5543 wrote: 05 Jan 2023, 12:37 Screwfix Direct are part of the Kingfisher Group, who also owns B&Q.
Yes I used to work for them many moons ago, but just because they are owned by the same umbrella group, doesn't mean they have the same products or suppliers. Take stellantis group, I won't be seeing any Lancia or Maserati components in my Aircross anytime soon even though these are part of the same group. :wink:

And yes, I know that the C3 Aircross is built at the Zaragoza Spanish factory that produces the Opel Crossland X which is a similar vehicle in many areas.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
MattBLancs
Donor 2024

Post by MattBLancs »

bobins wrote: 06 Jan 2023, 10:05 I think those three legged fuses were designed to overcome the fact that an awful lot of people didn't realise that the two legged ones were directional and they'd been putting them in the wrong way 'round :lol:
The one who put a 10 fuse in place of a one amp as read it as 01 the other way up? :-D

I shudder to think about a three legged fuse finding its way into a PSA vehicle with one of those two position fuse spots (commonly cigarette lighter socket, allowed it to be on permanent live or switched live depending on which pair the boring old 2 legged fuse was occupying) imagine the crazy faults with permanently fed 12 volts to circuits intended to go off with the ignition! :?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

MattBLancs wrote: 06 Jan 2023, 13:16
I shudder to think about a three legged fuse finding its way into a PSA vehicle with one of those two position fuse spots (commonly cigarette lighter socket, allowed it to be on permanent live or switched live depending on which pair the boring old 2 legged fuse was occupying) imagine the crazy faults with permanently fed 12 volts to circuits intended to go off with the ignition! :?
:lol: Cor yes! The mind boggles :roll: :lol:

Back along and especially those of us older radio engineers brought up on thermionic valves used to call early transistors 'three-legged fuses' :lol:

To be fair, they were quite delicate and would not tolerate any abuse at all, unlike good old valves...
Jim

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Back in the day householders used iron nails to replace blown fuses. :shock:
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Post by mickthemaverick »

I remember my Dad wrapping a blown plug fuse in kitchen foil to bring my bedside light back to life when I were a lad!! :shock:
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
MattBLancs
Donor 2024

Post by MattBLancs »

On the topic of fuses, and of a complete disregard for safety. Take a look at these innocent looking fairy lights.

In particular the plug (about 3:50 in, I think)

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

Gibbo2286 wrote: 06 Jan 2023, 15:10 Back in the day householders used iron nails to replace blown fuses. :shock:
It is not that long since that I had to dispose of a lot of electrical equipment from a factory unit that was being refurbished. It was quite horrifying how many 13A fuses had been replaced with nails.
Also how the light-boxes had been wired with the switches in the neutral line.
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

They are horrendous Matt!! Just shows how the internet has permitted a total dismissal of standards in our country, I shall add that to my list of reasons why the internet was and is a bad idea!! :-D
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

There's a Facebook meme doing the rounds showing different 'emergency' fuses from screws, ring pulls from drinks cans, foil and right up to spanners and big bolts...

One is a live ammunition round rated at, I think, 800 amps... If it blows it gives you a visual and audible alert :lol:

Actually not so far off the truth... Some fuses used on 3-phase overhead electricity distribution networks incorporate an explosive bolt to forcibly operate a breaker to ensure that it one phase fuse blows for any reason all three phases are taken offline as bad things can happen if one phase is lost...

These can be spotted high up on the poles and often in the vicinity of pole-mounted transformers that step down the 11Kv to supply a small group of households and outlying farm buildings... Many farms have three-phase supplies and again, if they loose one phase the results can be quite serious... Always best to loose all three...
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

mickthemaverick wrote: 06 Jan 2023, 15:34 They are horrendous Matt!! Just shows how the internet has permitted a total dismissal of standards in our country, I shall add that to my list of reasons why the internet was and is a bad idea!! :-D
Indeed... It's shocking (no pun intended)... I'm a member of a forum where this is often discussed and the scale of it is truly horrifying...

How this country - and indeed most of the world - has not gone up in flames is quite remarkable. So much is a disaster just waiting to happen...

The worst thing is that BS, CE and UK markings are no guarantee of safety whatsoever now as so much is allegedly counterfeit and the safety compliance marks likewise...
Jim

mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Couldn't agree more Jim, it's a pity we can't "Brexit" the internet!! :-D