Pub/Cafe Gallery and the odd hotel!

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Pub/Cafe Gallery and the odd hotel!

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Did the Leyton Bakers Arms appear on the destination "roll" of a London Bus. It did on the one hanging in the Northern Edge Coffee Roasters in Berwick.

So in spite of it not being in existence since 2010, the former Bakers Arms becomes "Pub of the Day" on the basis of a completely random link. It has a wiki page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bakers_Arms

Bakers Arms, Leyton, E10
Ewan Munro from London, UK, CC BY-SA 2.0 <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0>, via Wikimedia Commons

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Post by mickthemaverick »

Indeed it did Neil! Often set as the destination for the number 38 bus which I used to catch from the Angel to Bakers Arms to visit my Nan who lived at 36 William Street which you will find is a side turning just down the road from the pub. The pub was sited on the corner of Wathamstow High Street (Hoe Street) and Lea Bridge Road and was the grimmest pub I've ever been in!!
My other grandmother, known as Grandma to distinguish, lived in a road which runs parallel to and south of Walthamstow High Street/ Hoe Street but I cannot remember its name. So my route was Watford Junction to Dalston Junction on a Broad Street train and catch the 38 outside or train to Euston and catch trolley bus or 30 to the Angel and then change onto 38 for the Bakers Arms.
Once they built and opened the Victoria line my route changed to using the tube from Euston direct to Walthamstow Hoe Street and then walk between the two houses! :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
NewcastleFalcon

Nice Extras there Mick, anything to add on the Crooked Billet which also was mentioned on the "Destination roll" in the Northern Edge Coffee Roasters at Berwick. On a smaller scale the "Hat and Feather" near Consett was also a Destination Board favourite of mine.
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 12 Dec 2022, 21:47 I think this thread has plenty of opportunity to get filled up with a bit of interesting content. Pretty easy to contribute to. I'll keep it ticking over to get it started.

The Hat and Feather...a pub on the top of a hill overlooking the Derwent Valley near Consett, on the Roman Road Dere Street heading from York to Corbridge and the Roman wall and on up to Scotland. Now demolished just this year and to be replaced with some anonymous little housing development. Not that the pub was a success in recent times, pretty run down.

One of its claims to fame...the area will probably always be known as "The Hat and Feather" hope it still survives on the bus destination boards as it did in my youth on the nice blue Armstrongs Buses from Ebchester.

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

As far as I remember the Crooked Billet was on the junction of the North Circular and Hoe Street. It used ro be used as the name for the roundabout that grew out of the development and widening of the North Circular. I remember Dad referring to it when giving directions to places in the area. The only such place I do remember in that part of the world was Walthamstow Stadium which was a famous Greyhound track used in a fair few TV shows in the late 20th century. I'll have to take a run down there and see what it looks like now! :-D
NewcastleFalcon

I wonder if amongst the FCF faithful anyone can add to the list of "Pubs that have made it to Bus Destination rolls" which currently stands at Leyton Bakers Arms, Walthamstow Crooked Billet, and Consett Hat and Feather.

I can think of at least one very famous one "Elephant and Castle", have a ponder see what you can come up with.
youtube vid screenshot<br />https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgGRC6wM7a4
youtube vid screenshot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgGRC6wM7a4
Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Well, in Reading the 17 bus route (purple) has The Three Tuns at one end of the route. The Black route has The Crown in Theale. The Leopard route has The Swan. The Lion route has The Three Tuns and The George. The Orange route has The Chequers.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
NewcastleFalcon

Hell Razor5543 wrote: 29 Aug 2023, 18:29 Well, in Reading the 17 bus route (purple) has The Three Tuns at one end of the route. The Black route has The Crown in Theale. The Leopard route has The Swan. The Lion route has The Three Tuns and The George. The Orange route has The Chequers.
Nice work James. Flickr has a photo of the 17 bus Purple Route, with the Three Tuns on the Destination Board here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/westernsmt/47992112678/

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Pub name of the Day

The "Contented Sole" in Eyemouth
AI Originals,  Falcon Montage
AI Originals, Falcon Montage
Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

If I was a sole living there I think I'd be quite content too :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

That sounds a bit fishy to me! :-D
NewcastleFalcon

What would be the most appropriate "Pub of the Day" for the Well-loved Rhyme "Pop goes the Weasel" :?:

I'll shove it up later on anyway but if someone comes up with an answer so much the better. There is a decent pic on wiki of it current website is worse than useless from a historic point of view.

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

As trailed...
Up and down the City Road,
In and out the Eagle,
That's the way the money goes,
Pop! Goes the weasel.
Eagle City Road London 2005
User:Justinc, CC BY-SA 2.0 <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0>, via Wikimedia Commons

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

The Boatman

Its right at the end of the Bridge, you cant miss it
Surprisingly Sunny but a river in spate rushing under the bridge
Surprisingly Sunny but a river in spate rushing under the bridge
Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Following the Boatman, Pub of the Day today is The Boathouse, and its not shy...
&quot;Arguably the best Pub in the World&quot;
"Arguably the best Pub in the World"
For the Train Buff it has a very pleasing location
DSC05036.JPG
Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 04 Oct 2023, 19:17 Following the Boatman, Pub of the Day today is The Boathouse, and its not shy...
I think Mick and I need to go and check that claim ;)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...