DIY Car Maintenance with function over finesse!!

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Re: DIY Car Maintenance with function over finesse!!

Post by mickthemaverick »

Maybe I was lucky but I have no memory of them being poor compared to the Montego, mind you I have to say that it used to be standard practice for me to fit 'illegal' bulbs in all my cars having learned how good they were in Rallying. I don't do it anymore as my sequence of Toyota cars showed me standard lights are perfectly adequate for normal use. :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Montego ones must have been quite 'interesting' in the dark then! Too long ago to recall how good (or bad) Metro ones were now...

Products of Joe Lucas - the Prince of Darkness :twisted: :lol:

Ahh yes, those illegal bulbs :) They certainly were good for perking up many below-par lights, not least the XM!

Back in my XM and Xantia days, the hunt was always on for the best bulbs. Osram Night breakers were generally well regarded... A good mod on the Xantia and XM was to power the headlights via relays and improve the earths. Up to a volt could be lost 'twixt battery and bulb on the standard setup.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

The illegals I was referring to were 100/80s rather than the standard 65/55s . Tended to counter the plastic lens issue by melting it out of the way after a few hours! :-D
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

mickthemaverick wrote: 17 Mar 2024, 15:47 The illegals I was referring to were 100/80s rather than the standard 65/55s . Tended to counter the plastic lens issue by melting it out of the way after a few hours! :-D
:lol: :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
moizeau
Donor 2024

Post by moizeau »

Well the special tool didn't make an entrance
1710163230913.jpg
The idea was to strap the bike up to walls then wollop the special tool with a sledgehammer whilst standing on a pallet lifted by a tractor to try to square up the headstock.
IMG_20231001_132059_5.jpg
After more thought I came up with this
1710678840534.jpg
More controlled and I could see what other forces were being put on the frame so some re-positionng of ratchet straps was required.
Not spot on yet but gained 2mm.
The steering geometry was even worse now although wheel alignment had improved.
Bugger, the bottom yoke is twisted. one fork rakes 1 degree different to the other. Now that the headstock is better and after I removed the top yoke, front wheel and mudguard it was clear to the naked eye.
On the hunt for a set of yokes now......at least I know me method works
Pete
Notice the BX is still top the list but sadly gone
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent work Pete :D
Jim

bobins
Donor 2023

Post by bobins »

Your starter for 10.
No conferring please.
Some wires and stuff - own work
Some wires and stuff - own work
Is this....
A: A random collection of electrical bits found at the back of a drawer ?
B: A primary school project to show the basics of electricity ?
C: A highly sophisticated piece of diagnostics equipment used on a Mercedes ?

I'm sorry, I'll have to hurry you for an answer :-D

More details over at.....
viewtopic.php?p=794651#p794651
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

A pulse flash detector? :)
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

With the Wales Wander coming up fast I need to get the Subaru ready which means finishing the re bushing by doing the nearside lower control arm and give the car a full service. Unfortunately the track rod end for the nearside has still not arrived so I cannot get into that today, and I cannot do it here as there is not enough room to work on that side of the car on the flat part of the drive:
As far down as it will come with access to the nearside. Jack would not be on flat ground.
As far down as it will come with access to the nearside. Jack would not be on flat ground.
Knowing that would be the case yesterday, I called the dealer in Cambridge to check they had all the service parts I'd need and they said yes!! So I drove up there yesterday and when he went to get the air filter there wasn't one there!! It had been used by the workshop in the interim. I wasn't over amused as I had made the effort to call before going but he simply apologised and said he would have it delivered to me today by UPS. So far no sign but I got on with the cabin filter change:
Very much overdue!!
Very much overdue!!
and then put the car on the ramps which, with my drive, leaves it fairly level but accessible underneath:
Good for fluid levels etc.
Good for fluid levels etc.
Under I went and removed the undercover, 3 x 12mm bolts and two body studs with the central pin and expanding surround. Drain tray in place and removed the sump plug which, coincidentally with Matt's order, is a magnetic one and I was very pleased to see it was completely clean:
Nothing attached at all!
Nothing attached at all!
The oil filter is too small for my trident adapter so it was a chain wrench but no problem at all. Replaced the plug with a new washer (£1.99!) and fitted the new oil filter and filled her up. Next job is to change the spark plugs which are not the easiest to get at:
The red arrows indicate the securing bolts for the coil packs
The red arrows indicate the securing bolts for the coil packs
So in view of that I came in for a cuppa and to post this much, hoping that the air filter will arrive soon as I have to remove the entire airbox to get to the offside plugs so it would be good to replace the filter at the same time! :-D To be continued............
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Well sadly the air filter has not arrived but I decided to attack the spark plugs anyway so all that will be left is the air filter swap, 5 minutes and of course the lower control arm. I was going to take the car to my mate's man cave to do the arm but he has been served a notice to evacuate as the building is up for redevelopment and now they have turned off the power. So I set about the spark plugs and for what should be a simple 15 minute job I can confirm that it is a real nightmare on this car. However I managed to work through it and get them replaced and methinks it's just as well I did:
Well past their best!!
Well past their best!!
New plugs!
New plugs!
In order to access the offside plugs I had to remove the entire air box so I was hoping for the new filter to arrive but, as it didn't, I was pleased to discover the existing one to be in pretty good condition. I gave it a good vacuum and refitted it in order to get the car back into service. I am pleased to say it started on the first turn and purred into life sounding a fair bit sweeter than before so I took it for a quick run round the block and was very pleased with the improved power and hopefully the fuel economy will be even better!!

So now just the nearside control arm to do which should be straightforward with my new super rattle gun and we will be ready for Wales!! :-D
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Those plugs :shock:

Good work so far Mick!
Jim

mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Well it dawned sunny and bright so I thought with my new super rattle gun to hand I would get on and get the nearside control arm and track rod end and ARB bushes done. I decided to park the car askew on the drive and do the job here as the lack of power at the man cave concerned me for battery charging, lighting and maybe the odd grinding need.

I jacked up the car and removed the wheel, inserted axle stand and got stuck in. The 19mm bolts and the 17mm bolt that had all given me a nightmare on the offside all submitted instantly to my new toy so I was happy about that. Before removing them I replaced the ARB mounting bush and track rod end with no issues at all. I disconnected the drop link with the new toy, no problem and then attacked the 14mm lower ball joint housing clamp bolt. I knew it was all going too well!! :cry:

It was now 10.30 so I popped in for a cuppa and to give the penetrating oil a chance. After tea a long arduous story followed involving various tools, blowlamp and much vocal accompaniment resulting in me having to jump in the MX3 and go and buy a set of twist sockets. Returning with them I tried the 14mm one and sure enough out came the clamp bolt.
The new socket and remains of the clamp bolt
The new socket and remains of the clamp bolt
Now all that was needed was to fully remove the other mounting bolts which I had loosened at the beginning and tap out the arm complete with ball joint from the hub clamp. Another arduous story followed punctuated by a thunder storm, a change of clothes, numerous tools being brought into action including a 5lb club hammer, my two 4ft pry bars, two cold chisels, a bolster and in the end my 14lb sledge hammer although not easy to make use of!! :x
The problem joint housing
The problem joint housing
Suffice to say that my final decision was to wedge the clamp open with a jammed in screwdriver, soak the entire thing in penetrating oil and seal up the garage as best as possible including turning off the power to the roller door, for the overnight which I'm hoping will give me a fresh attack in the morning, providing its not raining heavily!!
Should keep the cats and foxes out!!
Should keep the cats and foxes out!!
Watch this space :-D
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

The difficulties overcome tales are always more interesting than the everything went smoothly ones.

That’s more like it. Mick, A proper tale of toil. Reminds me of my own, Clio driveshaft wouldn’t come out of the hub nightmare.

Hope it goes well in the end though :)

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

All best for full success this morning Mick 🤞😃 I'm sure it will be yours..

Those 'Twist' (Reverse Flute) sockets are magic. I have a set and they've saved the day on many occasions...
Jim

mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Sadly Jim your faith was misplaced. It was raining first thing this morning so I went to try and find a replacement pinch bolt. It's Good Friday!! The only option I had was my favourite parts and accessories shop in Watford, Midnight Motors, where I duly rocked up. Unfortunately he did not have the correct size and thread I need so I bought a couple of possibles which I may be able to use until I can get the correct one. They are over length so can be used with nylock nuts temporarily if needed.

I then called in to see my mate in Elstree to see if he had any better options which he did so I came home with three possible alternatives to use until I can get up to Cambridge for the proper one. So it was back to levering and hammering to try to release the ball from the knuckle. After 3 hours of many different approaches I had an accident which has never happened to me before!! :-D
Whoops!!
Whoops!!
Clearly I am going to have to invent or create something to get this pest out so I can spend the hour and a half needed to insert the new parts and get up and running. By now I was physically exhausted so I came back in to put a few ideas together for a tool and I have come up with a poor sketch which does at least illustrate my idea. :
A poor sketch but you can get the idea
A poor sketch but you can get the idea
So with that general plan in mind I measured the diameter of the exposed lip of the joint to work out what I need to make it from:
41 mm.png
So at the moment that is plan B. Tomorrow with the shops open I will see if I can find a knuckle spreader tool like this:
The knuckle spreader
The knuckle spreader
and then with that in place have another go with the big hammer. :-D

Watch this space!