206 1.4 HDi cruise control

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dfabrici
(Donor 2021)

206 1.4 HDi cruise control

Post by dfabrici »

Hello everybody!
I already have a strange question for you all :D
I own a Peugeot 206, 1.4 HDi from 2004. Despite all the things you see online, with the ECUs locked by the factory, I managed to successfully activate the cruise control with diagbox, which works perfectly (how delightful it is motorway travelling now :-D ). However, since my car has been built long before Peugeot decided to actually implement CC in 206s (mid to late 2006), I could only activate "cruise control type 1" in the BSI, and the instrument cluster doesn't have the indicator light for CC operation. The latter is not such a problem, I've already found (and installed) a suitable cluster from mid 2007 that supports CC visualization, for next to nothing, moneywise. The biggest problem I'm facing is that I can't telecode "cruise control type 2" in the BSI, it is an existing option in the BSI menu, but if I try to telecode it, diagbox automatically reverts to type 1, no matter what.
Searching online, I found a french forum in which someone said you need to have BSI software from version 40. I'd like to know if, given my BSI specs and software numbers (attached), there's a chance to update my BSI to version 40 or higher and be able to telecode type 2.
The only thing that's stopping me from just going to a dealer to have my BSI updated is that I dread that in newer versions Peugeot might have completely blocked the ability to activate CC in cars not meant to have it like mine, so I'd completely lose the CC itself.
Maybe some Peugeot experts/dealer know that!

BSI sticker:

BSI specs (you see version 34.01):

ECU specs:

COM2000 specs:

VIN is VF3**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff], should you need.

Thank you a whole lot of times!
Davide
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: 206 1.4 HDi cruise control

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Hi Davide

Most software updates especially BSI updates are downloaded directly by the dealer from PSA servers, unless you have a garage that is accredited from PSA that pays for the access. So very unlikely you will get this on the open market and for good reason - putting an incompatible BSI software on has the risks of failing or rendering the BSI unusable. If I was you I'd be happy that you have cruise activated and leave it at that or you are likely going to end up with more problems than you solve.

Also be warned that if you are attempting to fit a different dash, the electronic architecture may not be compatible between your vehicle and the donor, depending on the type of multiplexed architecture and whether the vehicles are VAN, CAN or a mixture of both.

Secondly, bear in mind if you did manage to connect it up - once the BSI detects the newer display / dash, the unit with the highest mileage recorded will get updated on both systems - so if the donor dash had a higher mileage than your car then it would be updated with the higher mileage.....
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
dfabrici
(Donor 2021)

Post by dfabrici »

First of all, thank you very much for your reply!
Sure enough, I was just wondering whether some crazy guy like me already tried and managed to get it working. Obviously, should I have the reassurance that the update won't remove the ability to activate cruise control, as that's the only fear I have with the new software shoud it exist (I can't even take a full dump of the BSI to go back, since the flash of the NEC processor inside is not readable...), I'd go to a dealer to have the BSI updated. If I can't have that reassurance, I'll keep my smooth CC working without dash infos.
For what concerns the dashboard, I've already mounted it and got it working, from what I know all 206s (not 206+) had VAN architecture, while the + models had CAN (but I may be wrong :-D). Mileagewise, before installation I dismantled the dashboard and reprogrammed the EEPROM to match my mileage, it was indeed more than 40000 higher than my actual one.

Thank you again
Davide
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

No worries, you’re obviously aware of the issues 😀, so best if luck in getting it sorted. Just be advised that on earlier models they had different levels of BSI depending on model and trim level / options, so the BSI you have fitted may not have the option you are looking for, so any software won’t change that.

Marc
dfabrici
(Donor 2021)

Post by dfabrici »

Thank you so much, didn't think about that variable, so that different trim levels with the same software versions might not be able to telecode some options... Guess it has to do with the MG/HG marking on the sticker itself (which I guess is Moyenne Gamme/ Haute Gamme)...
Nice to know! I'd love to know the differences, whether the're just software sided or hw too.
dfabrici
(Donor 2021)

Post by dfabrici »

NOT RELATED... just asking... In the next days/weeks, I should get some replacement parts for my COM2000 unit. I was thinking about doing an how-to to solve the very recurring problems they have (at least in 206/207s) of horn not working, turn lights not flashing, headlights that would turn on at random, and so on.
Could it be of some interest? Has it already been done?
Bye
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

If you’re talking about comms unit fixes or repairs, I’m sure it’s been covered plenty of times and there are loads of YouTube videos on the different types, but if you want to put something, buy all means do😀

Marc
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

dfabrici wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 12:05 Thank you so much, didn't think about that variable, so that different trim levels with the same software versions might not be able to telecode some options... Guess it has to do with the MG/HG marking on the sticker itself (which I guess is Moyenne Gamme/ Haute Gamme)...
Nice to know! I'd love to know the differences, whether the're just software sided or hw too.
Pop your VIN up for me (automasked from public view n post submission) so I can see exactly what you have, then I should be able to look into the BSI versions for your car if applicable.

Marc
dfabrici
(Donor 2021)

Post by dfabrici »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 14:44 If you’re talking about comms unit fixes or repairs, I’m sure it’s been covered plenty of times and there are loads of YouTube videos on the different types, but if you want to put something, buy all means do😀
Yes I wanted to do an how to starting from the removal of the wheel up to the actual cause of the issues, which is the flexible PCB inside the wipers stalk :)
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

By all means please do so.

Marc
dfabrici
(Donor 2021)

Post by dfabrici »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 14:46
dfabrici wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 12:05 Thank you so much, didn't think about that variable, so that different trim levels with the same software versions might not be able to telecode some options... Guess it has to do with the MG/HG marking on the sticker itself (which I guess is Moyenne Gamme/ Haute Gamme)...
Pop your VIN up for me (automasked from public view n post submission) so I can see exactly what you have, then I should be able to look into the BSI versions for your car if applicable.
Sure thank you! [-o< Vin number is under the pics (I masked the ones in the PP2000 screen and rewritten it under the pics so to have it obfuscated) :)
Should you need anything else, welcome to ask!
Davide
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

So you have the Mid Range BSI: These were fitted to the 206, Partner and 1007 (VAN multiplexed architecture).

BG => Bottom of the range
MG => Mid-range
HG => Top of the range

All the replacement BSIs for these cars were subsequently replaced with the HG version if they were ever replaced from Peugeot.

Marc
dfabrici
(Donor 2021)

Post by dfabrici »

So... if I find a second hand replaced BSI, or HG (I have a friend working at a car breaker)... I may try... and maybe that option would be there 8-[ 8-[
I was wondering... Let's say I have access to a proper diagbox account, activated and connected to servers. Is there a way to just download the update file (I think it's an .ulp one?) and not flashing it on the BSI? So to be able to open and analyze it a bite to understand what it would be writing in the BSI. More for fun than anything else, but was wondering nonetheless.
Thank you so much Marc!
Davide
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Using a clone interface is not recommended - if you do, you risk deactivation of the software / blocking of the interface. I would expect the software would have to be downloaded to the laptop first and then to the BSI in case of service disruption which could brick the BSI if this were to happen.

I can't confirm the exact process as any updates I needed were done via my dealer to cover myself and preserve extended warranties in the past.

Marc
dfabrici
(Donor 2021)

Post by dfabrici »

Yeah I thought that would be the case, because of the serial I guess... Well I may try to find a newer BSI to play with, so that if it bricks or anything I can always revert back reinstalling mine, even more so since I cant make a backup of the flash memory in mine. I'll let you all know if it's of any interest. I know my 206 is starting to get old and maybe less of interest, but I really don't want to put it down!

Thank you again
Davide