C4 Diesel Adblue Tank

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Paul-R
Donor 2023

Re: C4 Diesel Adblue Tank

Post by Paul-R »

Uncle Tom Cobley wrote: 10 Oct 2022, 10:15
Paul-R wrote: 10 Oct 2022, 09:47
Uncle Tom Cobley wrote: 10 Oct 2022, 08:01... and reset the urea countdown timer from 700 miles back to 1500 miles for me.
I don't understand this. The countdown is either at 700 miles counting down (or some figure on the way) or no countdown at all. There is no 1500 miles countdown to prevent starting on the urea system to my knowledge.

You're not confusing it with the servicing information message as you approach the regular service time/distance are you?
Hi Paul,
No my 2016 C4 Picasso Grand it’s definitely 1500 miles .
When the Urea light comes on it says starting prevented in 1500 miles and always has done and starts its countdown.
With the fault it never came on then suddenly it started coming on warning 700 miles left before starting would be disabled.
Also the main dealer set it back to the 1500 miles.
Ah, this now making sense. There are two systems at work here. The 700 mile countdown is when there's a fault and the 1500 miles is when the Adblue level is getting low. The second is easily rectified, the first is quite often very expensive!
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 10 Oct 2022, 12:44 No it's not that. The 1500 countdown is the same on mine and on many later vehicles.
Yes but that's NOT a fault, it's a gentle warning.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

No, not that either. As I said that is the default figure - even when the tank is full. It is the default shown when the check button is pressed and stays at this reading until the fluid actually reaches the estimated remaining 1500 before any warning is displayed and countdown begins.

I should also say that Euro 6.2 vehicles consume more Adblue than Euro 6.1 vehicles, so this may be why the countdown warning has been introduced earlier on later vehicles.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

Well I still maintain that is not a fault. Is the countdown start mileage for low Adblue on Euro 6.2 700 miles for sure?

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I didn't say it was Paul.

The countdown starts on my Aircross and the OPs vehicle when the remaining UREA equates to 1500 miles of range. That's not a fault it's normal behaviour. What I also said is that this value remains at 1500 range on the Adblue countdown check at any fluid level equating to above this range. In other words my Urea range check stays at 1500 when the Ablue tank is full. It only starts falling when the fluid actually falls to the level that equates to the 1500 mile range, then the warning will come on and the countdown decreases.

It is a fact that Euro 6.2 vehicles use more Urea than Euro 6.1.

As for the reason that the mileage range warning has been extended on later vehicles is my own speculation, to give ample notice possibly.

Marc
Gmacs

Post by Gmacs »

Hello,

I'm considering buying a 2016 C4 Picasso Diesel with 21k on clock...but I'm worried about this AdBlue issue. Should I be looking at petrol models instead? Or are some models fitted with another tank...can I check if this car is effected?

I really can't imagine any point in the future where I'd be able to afford a £1.5k repair bill.

Also never bought a Citroen before, are they on the whole reliable?

Thanks in advance for anyone who can spare the tind to help.

Thanks
G
Uncle Tom Cobley

Post by Uncle Tom Cobley »

I have owned mine from new ( 73000 miles now ) and this is the first problem I have had with it to be honest and like any car they have to be serviced and maintained.
I had a BMW K1200GT motorcycle with just 11k on the clock and the ABS module went ( a known and common problem ) the cost quoted was a disgusting £1500 to replace that, so these kind of problems and prices are not unique to Citroen by any means. Would I buy another ? Most certainly but with stupid European rules getting tighter on emissions ( all to ease in the flow of EVs) I would probably buy a petrol version but the Diesels are extremely economical and overall very reliable.
Yours is very low miles, just make sure it has full history.
They are great reliable cars and remember Citroen have picked up a big slice of my Bill despite car being six and a half years old , out of warranty and serviced independently for the past three years.
Last edited by GiveMeABreak on 12 Oct 2022, 19:26, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed Previous Post Quote
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I would of advised getting a Citroen Approved Used Vehicle which should come with a 12 month warranty, which can (depending on age and mileage) by renewed for peace of mind. I'm not sure it would be available though, as it's coming up to 7 years old, even though the mileage is well below average.

Marc
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

21k over 6+ years may not have done a diesel any favours. Is it one owner? What's your usage going to look like - a petrol may be a better option. Having said that quite a few of these will be 1.2 puretechs, which are not without issue either. The AdBlue issue can affect any PSA car (and most other marques as well) - although the pump tank all in one combo at ££££ is a PSA special. Car prices are high at present, if you can wait 6 months you may well find prices have dropped.
Richard W
Uncle Tom Cobley

Well my car is booked into Citroen tomorrow for the fitment of the new tank as the part has now arrived.
The strange thing is ? Three weeks ago ( I’ve been away for two weeks though ) all the warning lights went out and have stayed out and no more problems although yesterday a fault warning sound came on and quickly went off with no lights illuminated ( it did this though prior to the initial problem rearing it’s ugly head ) so I am not holding my breath and hope that this new tank will actually solve the problem. 🤞
They are also welding a hole in the cat so an additional £70 and I also mentioned that the touchscreen or the computer controlling it hasn’t quite worked properly from new ( I mentioned this a few times to them in the past ) It often reboots to a black screen but never when driving along. It also rarely though, puts out cold air and nothing you do will alter it and I must actually stop the car, get out , lock it then get back in and restart it for it to work.
And as a fair few other owners have posted on here , I have never been able to get mp3 tracks on a usb pen to play in order, only playing the first track.
Also mentioned that to them but they want £80 + vat to update the computer ( should be done free of charge ) as reading on here there definitely seems to be a known problem with 2016 cars.
I told them of this and he said we can discuss it when I’m there and he can have a word with the management to see if something can be worked out so again fingers crossed 🤞
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Unfortunately Head Unit updates, along with the mapping updates (if you have this option) are down to the customer to do. Any updates are notified via the MyCitroen App, where you can download them and apply the update directly via USB.

If you ask a dealer to do it they will generally charge you diagnostic / labour time to do it. The updates are relatively simple to apply, it's the time to do that is a pain as it can take up to 40 minutes to do and requires the engine running throughout the update. That's why they will charge you as time is money for a technician to sit in your car twiddling his thumbs.

Marc
Uncle Tom Cobley

All work completed new tank in and filled up with adblue.
System reinitialised.
Hole in Cat welded.
The cost to update the touch screen unit would have been £60 but it didn’t need doing as my car had the latest software installed .
They said the most likely culprit was multiple devices ( my old phones ect ) paired to the cars blue tooth system ( there were five ) so on their advice I deleted the lot and just reinstalled my iphone.
It maybe something others on here could possibly try ? But I don’t quite see how that would effect the USB system not playing Mp3 tracks in order ( except track 1 ) on a fat 32 formatted usb pen ?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Glad you have that sorted. I agree with what they said about the phones and it is something I too would of suggested if I'd known that's how many phones you had paired.

As for the MP3 order that's down to the metadata attached to the file most likely and your file naming.
The best thing is to use some software like 'MP3Tag' to go through your music files and re-write or update the tags on your tracks. It will very easy and will quickly write the tag data and also rename your files properly from lots of options, like Track Number, Artist, Album, Track Title etc.

Marc
Uncle Tom Cobley

Cheers for that Marc.
Fingers crossed the Adblue system is now all sorted.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I've moved your MP3 Topic here:
viewtopic.php?t=72773

Marc