e-fuel, synthetic fuel, bio-fuel still alive?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re: e-fuel, synthetic fuel, bio-fuel still alive?

Post by CitroJim »

Good stuff Neil :D Some steam locomotives were indeed converted to burn oil... And diesel is oil... Oil burners were installed in steam locomotives as early as WW2 when coal was in great demand. Oil firing is not quite as good as firing on real coal... Several GWR locomotives converted to run on oil were converted back to coal post-war... Mainly due to coal being cheaper than oil suspect...

There seems to be no great push to convert to oil again these days despite the coal issues... Partly the huge cost of conversion and the ongoing cost of oil I believe...

Several narrow gauge railways in the UK are happy enough with e-coal to be using it almost exclusively...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Having been selected at Random by the FCF Archives February Ferret 2023 it would be a shame not to put up a new post.

Just a couple of posts back, the Electric Viking puts his own slant on the Porsche e-fuel latest. I like his offerings probably with an acknowledged bit of my own confirmation bias. If you want to view it here's the link viewtopic.php?p=740155#p740155

any new news today... have to say a bit thin on the ground in general everything is moving in an electric direction.
There is a story today about JCB getting permission from their friends in high places, to run their hydrogen combustion engine JCB on the roads of the united kingdom to get them to site. Goodness knows where they get the hydrogen from. Should really go on the Hydrogen thread but finding new news on the e-fuels front is a bit sparse today, so here it is...

https://www.commercialfleet.org/news/tr ... n-uk-roads

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
bobins
Donor 2023

Post by bobins »

As ever, an insightful video from Harry Metcalfe (Harry's Garage) on sustainable fuels. Very much worth the watch IMO.

Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
NewcastleFalcon

e-fuel, synthetic fuel, bio-fuel still alive?

Clear as mud and many legal and regulatory hoops to jump through but one of those in principal things, but the Headline reads...

"Germany and EU compromise on e-fuels discussion"

Not carte blanche for e-fuels to escape the EU's ban on sales of new petrol and diesel cars from 1935, a strict definition likely to follow of CO2 Neutral e-fuels, and some reports of stringent requirements for vehicles manufactured under the category, to be only able to be run on CO2 neutral fuels, and be prevented from running on conventional petrol/diesel.

https://www.electrive.com/2023/03/25/ge ... iscussion/

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Not one of my favourite pontificators but Harry from Harry's garage and Harry's farm does hold sway with some, and Mick has put one of his recent efforts about "Everything you need to know about using sustainable fuels" on the energy matters thread here
A future thread perhaps....
I-Spy a Synthetic Fuel Pump

Even more of a rarity than an H2 Refuelling Station or a fuel cell car right now :-D

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Post by mickthemaverick »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 30 Jul 2023, 22:17
Even more of a rarity than an H2 Refuelling Station or a fuel cell car right now :-D

Neil
According to that video there is currently only one in the UK but they do say where it is so not impossible that we can get a picture!! :-D
Bftw
Bftw
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
NewcastleFalcon

No idea what this stuff is but someone makes it, and you can buy it in Hexham, at a lawnmower-ey type business which I used for turning round in while looking for MKM builders merchant.
Falcon Original<br />Alpen Alkylate Petrol<br />apparently better for man, machine, and environment!
Falcon Original
Alpen Alkylate Petrol
apparently better for man, machine, and environment!
Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
bobins
Donor 2023

Post by bobins »

Aspen is ideal for use in such things as lawnmowers and small engine powered machinery as it doesn't go off, doesn't gum up the carb, and doesn't suck up water. It's also bleedin' expensive. It does, however, get the Bobins Seal of Approval for use in petrol powered machinery that doesn't get used that often as it'll pay for itself due to not having to strip the carb or break out a can of 'Start yer bast*rd' every 6 months or so.
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
Rp0thejester
Donor 2024

Post by Rp0thejester »

Weren't diesel engines originally designed to run on peanut oil, if that was the case it would of helped to stop global warming. I do remember at the garage doing gas conversations/added to car so could run on gas but not seen a pump for it in donkeys
Ryan

'99 Xsara 1.6 X (Red) with Sunkissed bonnet. T59 SBX
'54 Astra Estate 1.7DTI (Artic White)
'06 C8 2.2Hdi Exclusive (Aster Grey)

Champion of Where's CitroJim :-({|=
Yes I ask the stupid questions, because normally it is that simple.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Rp0thejester wrote: 20 Sep 2023, 20:05 Weren't diesel engines originally designed to run on peanut oil
Indeed it was. In fact old-school diesels with tough, robust mechanical injection pumps will run on any sort of heavy oil. Witness early XUD-engined Pugs and Cits with mechanical Bosch pumps running happily on 100% straight vegetable oil. They'd even run on old chip fat from MaccyDs if you filtered out the lumpy bits...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...