My replacement Xantia Accumulator sphere looks different to the one off the car

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Re: My replacement Xantia Accumulator sphere looks different to the one off the car

Post by xantia_v6 »

In this case the seller appears to have shown the original packaging which correctly identifies the part, but the sellers written description refers to it as a front accumulator, which may be technically correct, but not aligned with common usage for these parts.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: My replacement Xantia Accumulator sphere looks different to the one off the car

Post by GiveMeABreak »

If you are in Aus, I'm not sure what the regs are there - as the consumer protection rights may be different. Here you can return the item within 14 days of receiving it - although there may be a return postage cost involved on your behalf.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
white exec
Moderating Team

Post by white exec »

Have to say, the ad does make it pretty clear what the sphere is, if you read the label on the box.
Not helpful having the seller describe it is an "Accumulator" sphere, but sellers are not always helpful.

I think the best you can argue is "ordered in error", or - as you say - keep it, and get it re-gassed to something useful. I will have a squint at the damper orifice figure for that sphere, if I can find it, and see whereabouts else it could be used. The Private Cars booklets should have that data, if anyone wants to look it up.
Chris
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)

Post by Stickyfinger »

Can you not re-sell it in Aus ?
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
white exec
Moderating Team

Post by white exec »

Found it - the missing damper data for that sphere:
400/70/... :?:
Really difficult to track down, as various folk (Citroen Parts, IFHS...) don't list it, only the volume and pressure.
Get the damping figure wrong, and you could be All at Sea, literally. (Ask Graeme.)

Had forgotten all about this old table, which contains rather some very full info on sphere for the various vehicles. The part numbers are mostly still current.
sphere_data_p1of3.jpg
sphere_data_p2of3.jpg
sphere_data_p3of3.jpg
Not sure where this came from, but it does tell the whole story.
Check also against Private Cars data, and Parts, when ordering.

So our unloved 95 666 858 appears at the top of p.3, and is 400/70/1.65, in case anyone wants to use it elsewhere. \:D/
Chris
kenbw2
(Donor 2017)

Post by kenbw2 »

I probably will keep it here as I know they're well sought after here - at least I can bring something to the local Citroen owners. They have a passionate Citroen Car Club of Victoria who are really helpful.

I've got a guy who regases spheres here in Melbourne who I'll speak to tomorrow and see if I can get my existing one back to life. Failing that try to source a replacement.

If it's gonna be a while I'll put the anti sink one on the accumulator and use that to tide me over.

Thanks for the help guys, I notice posting Xantia questions is like flies to honey on here!