Where have all the xantia posts gone?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ksanturion10

Re: Where have all the xantia posts gone?

Post by ksanturion10 »

I can fill a whole blog about all the stuff I've changed and found ;) (and that still have to be repaired) , but unfortunately I like to drive it, so... think to just enjoy it for now 8-)
Only himself the stupid makes wrong, many are being confused by the clever :P
jauv

Post by jauv »

white exec wrote: 19 Aug 2020, 17:18 The sill bung (blanking plug) is still available from Citroen, under that pt.no. 96 130 325.
Any Cit/Peu parts counter should be able to supply.
Thanks! Asked the local Cit shop by mail, they didn't answer. But I'll just visit them when I get to make time - welding job is scheduled for next week.

However, today it was raining and I noticed an LHM leak. Not quite sure of the exact location, I only got to look at it alone (I suspect turning to lock might make it leak). Otherwise it's dripping a drop every few seconds. Took some quick photos in the rain but couldn't find a definite location of the leak. :|

Looks suspect
Lower hose is wet
Welp, at least it's fairly green

Temptation to run away from this car is at all time high :lol:
Last edited by xantia_v6 on 04 Sep 2020, 02:38, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Inline images
admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

jauv wrote: 03 Sep 2020, 17:40
white exec wrote: 19 Aug 2020, 17:18 The sill bung (blanking plug) is still available from Citroen, under that pt.no. 96 130 325.
Any Cit/Peu parts counter should be able to supply.
Thanks! Asked the local Cit shop by mail, they didn't answer. But I'll just visit them when I get to make time - welding job is scheduled for next week.

However, today it was raining and I noticed an LHM leak. Not quite sure of the exact location, I only got to look at it alone (I suspect turning to lock might make it leak). Otherwise it's dripping a drop every few seconds. Took some quick photos in the rain but couldn't find a definite location of the leak. :|

Looks suspect
Lower hose is wet
Welp, at least it's fairly green

Temptation to run away from this car is at all time high :lol:
You need to get the excess cleaned up so you can then see where it is really leaking from, it does spray everywhere and looks way worse than it probably is.
I have read back and it is a car that was sat up for 10 years so expect a few issues as the system gets used to being used again, if it is dripping every few seconds maybe a seal fingers crossed
white exec
Moderating Team

Post by white exec »

No running away! (Forum Rule number 99) [-X

A slow leak can often be a low-pressure return pipe (rather than a high pressure one, which will usually leak faster). Looks like it's coming from above/high up, and dripping down on the subframe. Might even be up near the reservoir. The rubber elbows/joiners on the return pipes (eg those on the height correctors) can split, perish, or come loose.

Someone here will know Xantia pipework better than I do, so could interpret your photos better.
Chris
jauv

Post by jauv »

Thanks for the pointers and encouragement, on a more serious note I won't run without knowing exactly what's wrong and the cost to repair. I do love the car after all. :)

But timing is a bit unfortunate, as I've got an extended weekend trip coming up starting tomorrow, right after work. Managed to arrange an egg-shaped loaner car (Xsara Picasso) but this means Xantia has to wait. Well, it's better than blowing the seal (or whichever component responsible) during the trip.

And indeed, the car has lots of old rubber.
jauv

Post by jauv »

Well, the MOT failing rust is no more!
(Inside was of course done as well but fumbled the phone while attempting to picture those...)
Missing blanking plug was replaced with a tac'd on sheet of metal and chassis coating - might be a mistake but couldn't figure out a reason to access that compartment.

But the leak isn't fixed - but source is one of the lines going into the power steering rack, according to a local shop. Also a sweaty drive shaft bushing was identified. I'm on the lookout for a local shop who knows their way around Xantias.

I suppose I should make my own thread for this particular vehicle to avoid taking over this one. :D
admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

Repair looks well done, actually very well done :)

Yes make a thread in the members area Blogs and Galleries trust me it will run and run lol
jauv

Post by jauv »

admiral51 wrote: 15 Sep 2020, 18:51 Repair looks well done, actually very well done :)

Yes make a thread in the members area Blogs and Galleries trust me it will run and run lol
Going to continue there once I have actual updates - meanwhile, I think the Xantia looks mighty fine this morning. :-D

superloopy

Post by superloopy »

Well, it's been a while since I asked the question and today has been a decent day up here in the northeast, so good that I gave my 'resting' activa a scrub up. She didn't come up that well, the lacquer (Dante red) has moreorless lifted everywhere and it crossed my mind ... should I bother or get rid? That lasted for all of a minute and I spent the rest of the afternoon dragging all of my tools into a known place ready to make a start on fixing her leak. Question is, she's been standing a number of years, what is the routine for bringing her out of hibernation? Will the engine be seized, how do I check? I assume if not then a quick oil change, followed by a turnover and if successful an lhm top up, there's not much in there after the original leak. Any advice on bringing her to life again appreciated ... cheers.
Mike

Xantia Activa Dante Red MK1 (96) 121k - SORN, to be broken
Xantia Activa Silex Grey MK2 (98) 120k -SORN, ditto
Xantia V6 Silex Grey MK2 (98) 95k - non-runner
Xantia TD Storm Grey MK1 (95) 95k - non-runner
Skull
Donor 2024

Post by Skull »

superloopy wrote: 07 Sep 2019, 14:59I've got four on my drive need fixing up 😁
Well I'm down to just one Xantia now and I've got it in for MOT on Tuesday [-o<

Mike if you're worried about the engine being seized up - remove the spark plugs and spray a little oil in there, then either put it in gear and rock the car a little and watch the crankshaft pulley rotate / or out of gear, socket on crankshaft pulley and try to rotate the pulley clockwise thus turning the engine over ...

If all seems well with the engine then get the pipe/hose/leaks sorted if you know where they are ....if you don't know where the leaks are add some fluid (old lhm will do initially) run the engine and observe ...get them leaks fixed then you can clean out the LHM tank add new LHM+ and bleed through the brake lines / turn the steering wheel lock to lock a couple of times ....if all is well the old fluid will be bled out ...nice green LHM+ will come out the brake lines, close the bleed nipples and [-o< she will pressurise and rise up .... gl
On my 4th Citroën Xantia (X2 HDi (110))
Citroën sAXo Memphis Mk II
Gone
Xantia x3 (2.0i TCT Activa)(2.1 TD SX)(1.9 TD Estate)
Xsara HDi VTR Coupe / Saxo 1.1i / BX 1.9 d / 4 x AX's (1.4D /1.5D)
2 x 406 (1.9 TD Estate/2.1 TD Saloon) 405 1.9 D Estate 306 1.9 XTDT Hatch
Skull
Donor 2024

Post by Skull »

8-)
Skull's MOT PASS
Skull's MOT PASS
On my 4th Citroën Xantia (X2 HDi (110))
Citroën sAXo Memphis Mk II
Gone
Xantia x3 (2.0i TCT Activa)(2.1 TD SX)(1.9 TD Estate)
Xsara HDi VTR Coupe / Saxo 1.1i / BX 1.9 d / 4 x AX's (1.4D /1.5D)
2 x 406 (1.9 TD Estate/2.1 TD Saloon) 405 1.9 D Estate 306 1.9 XTDT Hatch
Gildas

Post by Gildas »

Another one makes it back onto the road.
My 2.0 petrol auto is back. It has been off the road for over a year and a half.
I bought it with an expired MOT and it has taken a lot more work than I thought it would to get it roadworthy
I have changed the auto box fluid cooler and the strut mounts. I had no idea that these were weak points when I bought the car.
Have fitted comfort spheres on the front have the rears to do.
Its still on the original cambelt but I think I will take it up to Wolsey House to do that plus at least one high pressure pipe needs replacing.

Best wishes

RW
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Just for info, there were 537 Licensed Xantias on the road in the UK at the end of the first quarter in 2022, and 2128 on SORN.

I was just looking at some data for another member, so thought you all might be interested on the Xantia situation.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc