How to Replace the Internal MicroSD Card - RT6

This unit is the eMyWay system, also referred to as RT6, RNEG2, or WIPNAV+ for the Peugeot platform and made by Magneti Marelli.
Main Features: The eMyWay colour satellite navigation has high resolution mapping, Bluetooth Telephone & Audio Streaming supported profiles, USB support for Media files & CD

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

Moarmo

Re: How to Replace the Internal MicroSD Card - RT6

Post by Moarmo »

Hey everyone. My RT6 stopped working around last december and I was simply ignoring it until next time I head for the workshop for something. There they told me they have no idea how to fix it and I should contact an official Peugeot dealer about this. But they also hinted that this is gonna be expensive. That's when I found the threads here on the board.
Long Story short: I got the RT6 out of my car, disassembled it and removed the (11 years old) micro sd card. And sure, it is done for. My linux pc can read the partition table and sees three primary partitions on the card (sda1, sda2, sda3) together with their sizes but when I try to read any data from that block device, the driver starts popping I/O and "device offline" errors into the kernel log. Means there is no easy way I get any information from that card and the hard ways I read about won't probably work, too, if the controller is busted. Sadly this includes the user dat files.

I put a new card into the radio and from what I understand I now have to install the firmware. And I cannot do this via USB since there is no firmware at this point. Where can I get the ISO image and can I install v2.86 directly in that case or do I need to install an earlier version first and do the updates via USB afterwards? Also: I know I have to flash my VIN via Mirascripts and then try to reconstruct whatever was set in user_dat (button mapping? Localization? Branding for Peugeot?). Is there some kind of documentation for the possible options so that I don't have to do so much trial and error? Sorry for all those questions, I do work in IT for over 20 years now and do electronics and microcontroller projects in my free time (means I can solder SMD by hand) but all that car stuff is quite new for me.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Obviously we can't go into the specifics of the system here - as you probably are aware of now, the time to take the backup was when it started to go wrong and before the damage was done.

At this point there's nothing to loose by installing the new MicroSD card and just inserting the 2.86b firmware into the USB. It will reconstruct the partitions nad install the operating system onto the card when it detects this as missing or corrupt.

The only issue you will have is potentially losing some functionality of the system. What, if anything you will lose is not known 100%, and will depend on your pre-existing firmware version as this affects different vehicles with different options and firmware all differently.

If you do find after the firmware update that the system is missing some options and that it has reset to factory defaults, offline Diagbox wont be able to fix it as the system is locked down. A dealer can initialise it as if they were replacing it like any other part to be configured, which they do via server connection. Getting technician with experience of this is another thing though.

I can't speak for the other functions of Mirascripts, as that is something you'll have to find out for yourself as we don't support the programme here. Maybe you can find some info on Mira's website for other functions - but make sure you're only using the RT6 files as earlier systems are not compatible with some commands / functions.

I can provide you with the V2.86b firmware if you require on ISO or zipped files. Let me know which.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

The only other function I used Mirascipts for was to remove the requirement to input a code when updating the map data. it can be used to adjust echo on a Bluetooth hands-free link to your mobile phone. There is a strong possibility that installing 2.86b will give you this problem.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Moarmo

Post by Moarmo »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 21 Feb 2024, 21:10 Obviously we can't go into the specifics of the system here - as you probably are aware of now, the time to take the backup was when it started to go wrong and before the damage was done.
Yes. Fully aware of that. And if I'd know back then everything is on a simple SanDisk 8GB Consumer MicroSD, I'd ripped the thing out of my car and dd myself a full disk image in that very second because it doesn't take much to realize that this is the single point of failure, especially with a FAT32 file system that writes a timestamp to the partition table whenever the file system gets mounted, even if it's just readonly. Ah, but that's the IT guy in me who had to deal with this kind of s**t too many times...
GiveMeABreak wrote: 21 Feb 2024, 21:10 I can provide you with the V2.86b firmware if you require on ISO or zipped files. Let me know which.
If possible I'd take both just in case. When I talked to a colleague of mine about this case he was like "Oh... wait a second" and start digging in his desk drawer pulling out a few unused CD-R disks. So I can go the USB way and if that fails I can try it with a CD as plan b.

Also I THINK I already had v2.86b installed on the unit, that number somehow clicked with me (since an intel 80286 was my moms first pc). But we'll see what happens. Thank you SO MUCH, you are awesome!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Well that may be the saving grace if you already had 2.86b on the system as it also updates the unit internally and that may mean it won't reset. I will send you the links in a Private Message.

Marc
straki007

Post by straki007 »

Navyrum wrote: 12 Jul 2021, 11:26 Hi all

As anyone worked out how to reset the language back to English on a RT6 everything seem to work after changing the SD card and installing firmware 2.86 but the unit is in Czech and i can't see any options to change it

Hello.
Don't you have a backup of your SD please?
I have been struggling for a long time with inserting the Czech language into my RT6.
Thank you.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

If you have lost some settings, then a dealership should be able to re-configure it from their servers for the cost of a diagnostic. They just need to treat the procedure as i they were installing a replacement RT6 and configure it.

Marc