On your Bike

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re: On your Bike

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent Richard :D You well beat me! I only made 2600 miles but did do 1700 miles running...

I need to do much more cycling this year, I feel I'm loosing my cycling fitness at the expense of my running fitness...

I'll be back doing a few duathlons this year...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Ordered up a new chain and cassette., then set off to wash the bike ready for overhaul. To be greeted with this when I turned it over...
IMG_20240102_115125546.jpg
Full house of riding frames to destruction😜 think that is the 4th one I've had since I was 16, and broken them all :twisted: can get the the latest version of the frame for £600, so will get one ordered up.
Richard W
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Post by mickthemaverick »

£600 :shock: :shock: What's wrong with some duct tape and a couple of cable ties? :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
Skull
Donor 2024

Post by Skull »

mickthemaverick wrote: 02 Jan 2024, 19:36 £600 :shock: :shock: What's wrong with some duct tape and a couple of cable ties? :-D
Or a try at welding [-o<
On my 4th Citroën Xantia (X2 HDi (110))
Citroën sAXo Memphis Mk II
Gone
Xantia x3 (2.0i TCT Activa)(2.1 TD SX)(1.9 TD Estate)
Xsara HDi VTR Coupe / Saxo 1.1i / BX 1.9 d / 4 x AX's (1.4D /1.5D)
2 x 406 (1.9 TD Estate/2.1 TD Saloon) 405 1.9 D Estate 306 1.9 XTDT Hatch
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

:rofl2:

You don't get much bike for under a grand these days.... In theory it could be TIGed or brazed but it's heat treated cro-mo tube and it's very thin so low chance of success, and it's cracked 3/4 of the way round. Not sure I would want to ride it at near 50mph with a suspect chain stay! And anyway, the new one is shiny😁
Richard W
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Post by mickthemaverick »

I've only ever bought 2 bikes in my life. The first was my 24" wheeled teenager bike to go to school on and came with a bell and saddle bag for the princely sum of £8 15s and the second was my Claude Butler 27" 10 speed racer which cost me £56.95. I've bought many cars for less than £600 so I'm glad I gave up cycling!! :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

I've only bought one, a Raleigh somethingorother.
I needed the bike to do my paper round and the paper round to pay for my bike.
One of the only two things bought on the never-never.
Haven't a clue what it cost. Half the paper round money for a few months, lucky I had two paper rounds every morning and worked in the shop on a Saturday.

One of my grandsons is a bike - assembler/technician? Their bikes cost thousands.
As do my two sons numerous bikes.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

RichardW wrote: 02 Jan 2024, 19:28 Ordered up a new chain and cassette., then set off to wash the bike ready for overhaul. To be greeted with this when I turned it over...

Oh gosh Richard... That's definitely for the bin. Now to treat yourself to that lovely titanium one with a lifetime warranty you've been eyeing up ;)

I heard a big crack out of my carbon road bike the other day but all seems OK. Likely my bottom bracket bearings... If not then I have the perfect reason to upgrade! Mine is now 7 years old and carbon does have a finite life... I'll be looking at Ti next time...
RichardW wrote: 02 Jan 2024, 22:19 :rofl2:

You don't get much bike for under a grand these days.... In theory it could be TIGed or brazed but it's heat treated cro-mo tube and it's very thin so low chance of success, and it's cracked 3/4 of the way round. Not sure I would want to ride it at near 50mph with a suspect chain stay! And anyway, the new one is shiny😁
Exactly, I'd never trust any repairs in that area of the frame or for that matter, any... It's scrap and new frame time. End of. Not worth the risk.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Maybe take a look at AMS auctions, they frequently have long lists of bicycles in their general sales. Could probably get half a dozen bikes for your £600.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Sloppysod
Donor 2024

Post by Sloppysod »

When I go to the local amenities area (tip to us oldies) i see loads of realtively new bikes available to buy, and much less than £600! Some possibly £6.00.
Stu 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

"Some cause happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go"Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Major interventions
C5 Steering rack @ 58,000 mi
4 discs & Pads @ 63,585 mi
2 (AM6) oil exchanges @ 58,876 & 72,378 mi
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Sloppysod wrote: 03 Jan 2024, 13:38 When I go to the local amenities area (tip to us oldies) i see loads of realtively new bikes available to buy, and much less than £600! Some possibly £6.00.
Yes, I'm always quite shocked at the sheer volume of them - mainly kids bikes at ours... The tip near to Mick the Maverick looked more like a bike shop! There were hundreds...

A lot of the adult ones fall into the category: 'I think I'll take up cycling...' One or two rides later 'Nah, cycling's not for me..'

The sort Richard and I ride are rarely, if ever, seen at the tip... There is a world of difference between them and they're just too valuable. If I replaced any of mine I'd be looking to spend somewhere north of five grand easily...
Jim

Sloppysod
Donor 2024

Post by Sloppysod »

That's something I have never understood about cyclists.
One of the reasons you cycle is to keep fit…so…why buy a bike that is as light as possible, surely a heavier bike will mean you have to expell more energy therefore, getting the same amount of pain/gain in a shorter time.🫠
My bike weighs about 16kg and after a 30 minute ride I know about it!🙃
Stu 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

"Some cause happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go"Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Major interventions
C5 Steering rack @ 58,000 mi
4 discs & Pads @ 63,585 mi
2 (AM6) oil exchanges @ 58,876 & 72,378 mi
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Sloppysod wrote: 03 Jan 2024, 15:46 That's something I have never understood about cyclists.
One of the reasons you cycle is to keep fit…so…why buy a bike that is as light as possible, surely a heavier bike will mean you have to expell more energy therefore, getting the same amount of pain/gain in a shorter time.🫠
My bike weighs about 16kg and after a 30 minute ride I know about it!🙃
Good point well made Stu... That is very true and I fully agree.

For me it's all about speed, endurance and racing. I compete in Duathlon events, Time Trial racing and ride long distances in excess of 100 miles on occasion.

A light, aerodynamic bike allows me to cycle consistently fast over a long distance and without loosing speed on hills. I need to have a bike and clothing that keeps me competitive in racing events.

I'm also a distance/endurance runner, light in weight and small in stature with a majority of slow-twitch musculature. In a nutshell, it means that a bike like yours is far too heavy for me to ride for any length of time. After ten miles on yours I'd feel as if I'd ridden 100 on one of mine and I expect the energy expenditure would be similar. One thing I do know, if you and I rode two bikes like yours together, you'd beat me hands-down over 30 minutes. I'm very slow on a heavy bike...

At the end of the day, it's all about horses for courses. Your bike needs are different to mine and again, Richard's will be too...

Main thing is that we all enjoy it... Cycling is a very broad church. We all find our own little niche in it.
Jim

Skull
Donor 2024

Post by Skull »

My current ride on a soggy muddy day 3 route was a freebie from a neighbour seen broken down outside his house.

Some parts where swapped over from my old Huffy, still cant bear to throw it away and it may yet be returned to service ....

I have tried to upgrade to a Canyon but keep missing out on EBay auctions 8-[

RALEIGH NORTH CAPE (FREE from No 37) 34Ibs (15.42 Kg) + accessories
Haughton-le-Side looking South towards Denton
Haughton-le-Side looking South towards Denton
On my 4th Citroën Xantia (X2 HDi (110))
Citroën sAXo Memphis Mk II
Gone
Xantia x3 (2.0i TCT Activa)(2.1 TD SX)(1.9 TD Estate)
Xsara HDi VTR Coupe / Saxo 1.1i / BX 1.9 d / 4 x AX's (1.4D /1.5D)
2 x 406 (1.9 TD Estate/2.1 TD Saloon) 405 1.9 D Estate 306 1.9 XTDT Hatch
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That's gorgeous cycling country Skull :D I need to ride around there, having seen the lie of the land with Mick last year :)

My Giant Propel Duathlon bike with custom wheels, brakes and Di2 electronic gears...
20231212_133859.jpg
And my Giant TCR Pro Road Bike... Absolute state of the art when new in 2017 but now very low-spec compared to 2024 models!
20231229_123151.jpg
Both together, compete with accessories, weigh roughly what yours does Skull...

I love both of these bikes as they have been with me so long and we've shared some great adventures together. They may now be old and outclassed but apart from catastrophic frame failure - can happen with carbon - I have no plans to replace them; my Propel is still competitive...

And I love riding them :)
Jim