DS5 suspension

This is the Forum for all your DS Automobiles Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CC1701

Re: DS5 suspension

Post by CC1701 »

antonioprm wrote: 28 Nov 2022, 02:46 Can the Bilsteins be fitted to the hybrid? The parts linked to by CC1701 do mention a 2.0 HDi 165, but I'm not sure that's the one.
The fronts are the same but the rears are not as the hybrid has different rear suspension.
its likely that there is something to suit the hybrid rear.
Dannio636

Post by Dannio636 »

With regards to the hybrid, i have a 2012 model, the suspension was improved in 2013.. i think.. was both the front and the rear changed? what did they change? For the front it seems to be quiet different.. i think i need to change my front springs at the moment.. so wondering if i can upgrade a little...
CC1701

Post by CC1701 »

Dannio636 wrote: 07 Jan 2023, 18:54 With regards to the hybrid, i have a 2012 model, the suspension was improved in 2013.. i think.. was both the front and the rear changed? what did they change? For the front it seems to be quiet different.. i think i need to change my front springs at the moment.. so wondering if i can upgrade a little...
Not sure about changes to the Hybrids suspension, we never got them here.
I do recall looking at the citroen parts list when we were doing this and all the damper part numbers - and here were a lot of them - eventually superseded to just one number.
Presumably there were several attempts by citroen to tame the DS5 ride.

The Bilsteins have worked wonders for us. Still, its no C5 or any other hydro sprung citroen. But drives quite ok now and is comfortable enough to be in.

The diesel and petrol models rear damper number supersedes to the same as that used on the C4 PIcasso. I believe its a Sachs damper.
There is some threads around on fitting the Sachs dampers to the back and getting a good improvement.
CC1701

Post by CC1701 »

As an asside, now the Bilstiens have been in for >6 months, either we don't notice the low speed jiggle mentioned in the original post or the dampers have settled and its gone away. It was never an issue though.
stormer
New User

Post by stormer »

Hi Rick, - I just Googled my Citroen DS5 suspension experience and this thread turned up. I know that it is a thread that ended without conclusion, but .. did you ever get a solution to this? I have the exact same experience as you.
CC1701

Post by CC1701 »

stormer wrote: 02 Feb 2023, 19:28 Hi Rick, - I just Googled my Citroen DS5 suspension experience and this thread turned up. I know that it is a thread that ended without conclusion, but .. did you ever get a solution to this? I have the exact same experience as you.
Solution - Good quality tyres in 225/50, Bilstien B4 all round.
The car is now just great, suspension is so good.
The boss has been away and I've been driving it, regularly now.
It ride is far, far better than when we got it. And it handles so well. Its a hoot to drive now (probably was originally, but the ride was so miserable it was impossible to enjoy the handliing).
It grips great, the balance is fantastic, almost no body roll even when pressed reasonably hard, sharp steering.
Tyres and shock absorbers have transformed our DS5 into some nice to ride in and really fun to drive.

If your DS5 is too harsh to enjoy, this is the route to happiness, imho.

The DS5 must have been a real hoot with the turbo petrol engine and a manual transmission.
earlam

Post by earlam »

Hi I have a DS5 2913 hybrid4. Lovely on motorways but some A roads Jesus. What can I change to get. A softer ride.

VIN VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
MacSlavko

Post by MacSlavko »

Not much if you're on 19" Cairns rims and 240/40 tyres. If your DS5 is DSport version than some parts of suspension are different to DStyle models (with smaller wheels) as well.
You cah change tyred shock absorbers (either standard Sachs or indipendent Bilstein 4 will do), but for a smooth drive you'd need 17" or at least 18" wheels...
DS9
Donor 2024

Post by DS9 »

In a way I kinda envy you. The KYB's are available. 3348037 and 3348038 which are compatible for the DS5. Take a look around.

As fitted to the C5 Aircross but with different part numbers. https://kyb-europe.com/blog/double-hydr ... termarket/

I have a DS9 and these would be my first choice but after enquiring with KYB direct earlier in the week they replied with.....

Many thanks for your enquiry

At present there is no information regarding the DS9 however this doesn’t mean KYB won’t introduce at a later date so we will keep an eye out for any future data release.