I-Spy AA Village Signs

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re: I-Spy AA Village Signs

Post by CitroJim »

That one near Amesbury and the two Wiltshire ones are not far off my routes to Somerset either ;)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Just seen these pop up on Facebook :D

Barely a couple of miles away from where I was born and brought up...
Credit: Celia Tanner via Facebook
Although I know the locality well, I have no conscious memory of ever having seen this one!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

CitroJim wrote: 30 Mar 2023, 05:25 Just seen these pop up on Facebook :D

Barely a couple of miles away from where I was born and brought up...
Although I know the locality well, I have no conscious memory of ever having seen this one!
The milestone society recorded it on Geograph in 1995. Click on the Pic and it takes you to the geograph page which has the OS map extract where it was taken.

Old circular AA Sign on Law Lane, Muchelney

© Copyright Milestone Society and
licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

"Old circular AA Sign on Law Lane, Muchelney
Old AA Sign on the south facing gable end of The Parsonage, a house on the east side of Law Lane in Muchelney, 4½ miles southwest of Somerton. Muchelney parish.

This is the circular, village name on black band, no Motor Union symbol or name type, dating to 1923 and showing distances Langport 2 Crewkerne 11 London 132.

There were five series of AA signs, mostly dating from 1923 and made by Francis & Co / Franco in Deptford, London. The village name and distance to London were usually displayed."

Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 30 Mar 2023, 11:40, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That's nicely covered it Neil :D

I know exactly where it is and been past it hundreds upon hundreds of times. I can't believe I've never consciously seen it!
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Another one that popped up on Facebook today...
Via Facebook
Via Facebook
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote: 10 Apr 2023, 18:09 Another one that popped up on Facebook today...

Jim, the back pages of our thread will have a little piece on Caldbeck. The Falcons had a little visit there May 14th 2018, on a nice sunny day :-D
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 14 May 2018, 22:41 Trip to Cumbria today, Very much an AA Village Signs Hotspot. So here are my original photo's

First up Caldbeck a pictureque little village with a crystal clear stream, rustic stone bridges, nice cafes for coffee and cake, and local arts and crafts. A village shop and garage. Could have done with a slightly more ancient set of pumps for perfection but not bad.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 10 Apr 2023, 18:14 Jim, the back pages of our thread will have a little piece on Caldbeck. The Falcons had a little visit there May 14th 2018, on a nice sunny day :-D
Sorry Neil,

I should have looked... Being up in your patch I ought to have realised you would have been there... Looks a lovely place :D
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote: 11 Apr 2023, 05:17
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 10 Apr 2023, 18:14 Jim, the back pages of our thread will have a little piece on Caldbeck. The Falcons had a little visit there May 14th 2018, on a nice sunny day :-D
Sorry Neil,

I should have looked... Being up in your patch I ought to have realised you would have been there... Looks a lovely place :D
No apology needed Jim, Caldbeck needed that revival :-D Caldbeck has lain lost and unloved since my post in 2018, invisible to everyone (bar me and that's only because we woz there!).

Following on from that post a few others in Cumbria were visited the same day... and I make no apology for my own repetition!

Great Ormeside, followed By Nateby, followed by Melmerby
and this from nice places to stop off at summarises a Great Day out! inspired by the thread!
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 14 May 2018, 22:28 Went to "The Lakes" today without actually going to the lakes. Had a lovely drive around rural Cumbria threaded loosely around 4 Cumbrian Villages which still retain their original yellow AA Village signs.

Calldbeck, Great Ormside, Nateby, and Melmerby. Lovely weather, the countryside looking very green and very pleasant, and excellent refreshment stops.

..and the great benefit of the random thread....you go places you wouldn't normally go to, have conversations with people you wouldn't otherwise have met, and can confidently write the words "great day" in your diary :-D

The pictoral record of the 4 AA Village signs I will put in the appropriate thread so here's a bit of a scenic view from the hill above Caldbeck although my photographic equipment didn't get to record the 3-way battle in the sky above involving a Buzzard, a Peregrine Falcon and a Crow.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Didnt quite get this in for U day, but its one very close to CitroJim's former stomping Ground.

In 2007 it was there, the milestone society recorded it, but I think it is missing now.
Old circular AA Sign on Hermitage Road, Upton
Old AA Sign on the west facing stone wall of a building on Charity Farm on the east side of Hermitage Road in Upton, 2 miles east of Langport. Long Sutton parish.

This is the Circular, village name on black band, no Motor Union symbol or name type, dating from 1923 and showing distances Pitney 1½ Long Sutton 1¼ London 126½.

There were five series of AA signs, mostly dating from 1923 and made by Francis & Co / Franco in Deptford, London. The village name and distance to London were usually displayed.
Old circular AA Sign on Hermitage Road, Upton

© Copyright Milestone Society and
licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

One very close to my birthplace :)

It's a lovely little hamlet...
Jim

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

CitroJim wrote: 25 May 2023, 04:28 It's a lovely little hamlet...
A.jpeg
NewcastleFalcon

How much would you pay for an original AA Village Sign?

Matthewsons are auctioning a few at their July 20th Sale

https://www.mathewsons.co.uk/auction/lo ... 6&pn=1&g=1

You would think they may want this one for themselves.
https://www.mathewsons.co.uk/
https://www.mathewsons.co.uk/
Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I believe we will be going quite near there this week :) Completely new territory for me!
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Spotted yesterday on our way back from Somerset :D
20240125_154311~2.jpg
Apologies for quality, snapped out of Mick's car...
Jim

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

That's right, blame Mick's car :roll: