Picture(s) of the day....

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Picture(s) of the day....

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Peter.N. wrote: 02 Oct 2021, 14:34 Well done that man. Can you be anymore precise -
Peter
Lairg
I passed an old garage on my Google drive down through Lairg (no pumps) which I think would have been in my holiday snaps :-D
temp2.png
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Well done. If that old garage was opposite the loch its no longer there, I think it was called Sutherland transport. It also contained a TV shop which was run by a friend of ours. When they knocked it down he had a shop up toward the fire station. He is in Australia now - or was, I can't make contact with him any more.

Peter.
NewcastleFalcon

Peter.N. wrote: 02 Oct 2021, 15:21 Well done. If that old garage was opposite the loch its no longer there, I think it was called Sutherland transport. It also contained a TV shop which was run by a friend of ours. When they knocked it down he had a shop up toward the fire station. He is in Australia now - or was, I can't make contact with him any more.

Peter.
I'll revisit, might have been one of the buildings, I think the google cameras were 2015.

July 1971. Now I would definitely have taken a picture of this..

https://flic.kr/p/bo3cRM

Regards Neil

PS This is the very ordinary looking garage down by the Loch I noticed on my google drive, with the flaking blue paint on the doors, and the lonely Michelin men stuck to the windows.
Attachments
temp2.png
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Hands up if you know who the Poet Laureate is.

He cropped up on "Winter walks" available on the BBC Iplayer, having sampled Selina Scott in Wharfedale, I gave Simon a go. Walking from Ravenscar to Robin Hood's Bay. Here's one of his finest lines.

"These must be Ravenscar Bricks, local bricks, I like it when they have got the makers name..."

Couldn't agree more Simon, as several posts on this very forum testify :-D
temp2.png
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)

Post by Dormouse »

Is that UK Poet Laureate or Makar? The Makar used to be Jackie Kay. I think it is Kathy Jamie now. I think the Poet Laureate is now a man, Simon somebody I think?
NewcastleFalcon

Dormouse wrote: 03 Oct 2021, 13:08 Is that UK Poet Laureate or Makar? The Makar used to be Jackie Kay. I think it is Kathy Jamie now. I think the Poet Laureate is now a man, Simon somebody I think?
It is indeed Simon somebody......(full name on the screenshot I posted from I player on my POTD post :-D )

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
quintet
Donor 2023

Post by quintet »

It's only when the nights draw in & i use my lights more do i remember just how useless they are, i quite often have to glance down to the dash panel & check the tell tale dash bulbs that i know that my lights are actually on.
Attachments
Taking the dash panel out is a bit long winded on mk1 xantia
Taking the dash panel out is a bit long winded on mk1 xantia
Music keeps me going.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Sounds a bit like they way John Betjeman wrote. I liked him, knew what he was talking about.

Peter
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

DSCF2982.JPG
I remember them when they were working, looks as though they are being broken for spares now.
DSCF2983.JPG
Altnahara, lovely spot on about the most scenic road in Scotland. Anyone been there? It has the distinction of often being the coldest or hottest place in the land.

Peter
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)

Post by Dormouse »

Loch Naver has a caravan park and it is a beautiful area in season. Because of the cosseting of the valleys and it's "central" inland location it has recorded some of the highest and lowest temperatures in Scotland consistently over the years.
NewcastleFalcon

POTD is always open for business. In a slow start today good job I clicked the shutter a couple of times.

When Bobby and Jackie got tired of kicking a tennisy around the back streets, they may have had a stroll down here, although in their day they would have had to walk past North Seaton Colliery, and Riverside Country Parks were few and far between.
DSC00654.JPG
DSC00655.JPG
Sea Buckthorn
Sea Buckthorn
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

Odd coincidence Neil, I saw some of those sea buckthorn berries this morning, in the park I went through. I presumed they were unripe elder berries. (younger berries)?
Not anything I have noticed previously and a fair way from the sea.
NewcastleFalcon

Its very much made its way into the "health food" market. Squeeze a few berries into a 750ml bottle and some people wil pay £15 for it in a health food shop. Its also made it way into a garden plant/hedging plant, and farmers diversify and plant their fields with it :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

Screenshot_20211004-191344.png
Great grandson/daughter on the way.

All the ones my wife had done looked like lunar landscapes.
quintet
Donor 2023

Post by quintet »

Oooohhh congratulations to the expectant parents & future baby sitter :-D
Music keeps me going.