Eolys?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: Eolys?

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Correct, it shows a reservoir.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
H4wkeye
(Donor 2022)

Post by H4wkeye »

When should Eolys be topped up? Also, how big is the reservoir on C5 X7?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

You will get a warning when it needs topping up based on estimated fluid level remaining in the tank and the remaining miles until your next service (from the service / maintenance counter). So if the engine ECU calculates there won't be sufficient fluid remaining in the tank for the mileage until your next due service, it will flag the warning light and message up.

On your specific engine the tank capacity is approx. 3 litres.

On this vehicle, the remaining estimated Eolys in the tank at 120k KMs (75k Miles) is about 300ml.

Obviously this can vary according to driving conditions.

Marc
H4wkeye
(Donor 2022)

Post by H4wkeye »

Cheers Marc.
electronmirror
Donor 2024

Post by electronmirror »

So I finally succumbed and bought a C5 Touring Exclusive , 111,260miles, as a replacement for the Xantia estate.

The C5 is a 2010 2.0l HDI Exclusive 163 manual transmission. VIN No: VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff].

RPO: 12300 (which I think indicates a build date of 13th July 2010).

So the question is which type of EOLYS is required?
From much reading on the forum and researching on the internet I think it should be Powerflex 9736A1 (3 litres), is this correct? I've not yet been able to check the colour of the reservoir connectors but have sprayed all the nuts securing the plastic cover with Plus Gas before tackling removal.

Curiously the Lexia scan I did showed: "Volume of additive tank 1350ml" which seems odd, I thought the tank was 3l capacity.

Other values noted:
"Particle filter in/out pressure difference 1mb", at tickover speed 780rpm.
"Total weight of soot in PEF 1.3g/l".
"Degree of particle filter soot clogging 73%".
Any comments on these values?

Thank in advance for any help,
Ted
Ted
2010 C5 2.0 diesel(163) Exclusive Tourer (119,290miles)
1999 Xantia Exclusive Estate 110 Hdi Mauritius Blue with self peeling lacquer finish (276,174miles)

1991 XM Prestige 2.0 Auto(157,000 miles) gone but not forgotten
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

For your build date and the C5 X7 you require Eolys EXTEND (black).

The percentage of soot just shows the current state of the particle filter and will reduce after the next regeneration.
The tank is 3 litres, but the value show may be the estimated amount of Eolys remaining. You'll get a warning when it needs topping up.

Marc
electronmirror
Donor 2024

Post by electronmirror »

Many thanks for that info Marc.

I'm now puzzled why I thought it should be Powerflex. The "Additive low" warning and "SERVICE" messages have now come up on the dashboard.

However there seem to be several sources of Eolys Extend so I shouldn't have a problem sourcing it.
The reason I queried the reservoir volume is Lexia showed another value "Amount of additive in tank 556ml". I took that to mean the volume of Eolys left in the reservoir.

Hey ho it's all a steep learning curve after nineteen years of Xantia ownership.

Thanks, Ted
Ted
2010 C5 2.0 diesel(163) Exclusive Tourer (119,290miles)
1999 Xantia Exclusive Estate 110 Hdi Mauritius Blue with self peeling lacquer finish (276,174miles)

1991 XM Prestige 2.0 Auto(157,000 miles) gone but not forgotten
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I can't be exact without seeing the Diagbox screenshots, but add a minimum of 1 litre during the operation, top up and reset the additive counter to zero. It should be a guided procedure though.

Marc
bubbleberry

Post by bubbleberry »

I folks, having read the full thread, I see it asked, but not answered - how long, or how many miles have I got from the time it warns me that the additive level is too low ? I’m guessing there must be a safety net built into the system, have done about 30 miles since the warning but have a 100 mile round trip tomorrow, will I be safe ?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

That's for a very simple and good reason....

Each case is different. If you've read through the thread you'll see it has been answered indirectly. The Engine ECU estimates the amount of additive remaining based on the quantity of additive already injected.

To determine when the warning is shown, the engine ECU looks at the estimated remaining mileage before the fluid is too low and the mileage remaining from the maintenance service counter. If it deems that the remaining distance before the next service is greater than the additive fluid will last, then the warning is flagged up. So it depends on each person's vehicle and that is why there is no standard distance.

Marc
bubbleberry

Post by bubbleberry »

Hi Marc, thank you for the info on the non standard formula. I guess my next question would be how many miles have I got, assuming that they give some margin for safety.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Well to answer that what does your maintenance indicator say - how many miles until the next service is due? This usually tells you on the dash / LCD screen when you turn the ignition on and usually has a spanner flashing with the mileage. Whatever that mileage is, the engine ECU thinks there isn't enough fluid to last that distance, so I can't give you a definite., but it's due to be done.

If you leave it for too long, you risk dry-running the additive pump and then that will have to be replaced....

Marc
bubbleberry

Post by bubbleberry »

It says “ maintenance due 4900 miles” then flashes over to “ particle filter additive level too low”. I bought it with full service history but no mention of the additive and it’s has 109262 miles on it. I’m thinking of doing the additive myself, along with an oil and filter change within the next week, and then getting someone to rest it with a Lexia. Will not be doing any more than 100 miles before putting in the additive, so around 150 miles total since the warning appeared, which I’m hoping is ok ?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

You should be fine for that mileage.

The additive top up is not a regular service operation. It only needs topping up between 50-70k miles depending on engine and model though and depends greatly on driving behaviour, types of journey etc. A dealer would have designated service schedules to check the fluid and top up if necessary, so this is where this operation gets overlooked by using the non-dealer /franchised garages for general servicing as your seeing now.

Marc
bubbleberry

Post by bubbleberry »

Thats great Marc, I appreciate the reassurance!

Many thanks !