New car (aparently...)

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

ActivaV6uk

New car (aparently...)

Post by ActivaV6uk »

Those of you who know me well know my wife is from America and also probably know I’m about to be made redundant. Well it looks like the V6 Xantia will be sold as soon as its finished as the wife has decided that my redundancy money and a bit more is going to buy us a new car!
A 1970 Ford Mustang fastback BOSS!
Shipped all the way from her home country! I have to say I’ve seen pictures of the car and its probably the nicest thing I have ever seen on 4 wheels the question is can I trust my wife to drive a 470bhp car????
Still in shock!
Andy
http://i6.ebayimg.com/03/i/03/bc/04/fa_1_b.JPG if you want to see it!
Richard Gallagher

Post by Richard Gallagher »

Yo Dude!!
ActivaV6uk

Post by ActivaV6uk »

i guess i will have to re-morgage the house if she wants to use it very often!
[:0]
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

HHHmmmmmmm Mustangs, OK if you want a girls car.
I've owned a few yank motors, my favourite of which was the big block 6.6 1978 camaro. That was set up to run NO2.
But seriously whats the BOSS costing? Buy a mopar (thats a Chrysler group muscle car)
Plymouth GTX, Roadrunner, Dodge Dart, Charger or challenger. They make and hold the best money, are better performers than the ford and in my opinion are a more exciting car. Money no option get a 68-70 Dodge charger 440RT. Money really no option then any hemi engine car.
alan s
RIP 2010

Post by alan s »

There's heaps of them out here Andy and don't worry, she won't be driving it too much. Ever seen the fuel consumption figures (genuine, not fanciful makers figures)[:0] Given the price of petrol over there, I'd imagine a Sunday drive would soon become an annual event. Maybe you can put a N/A diesel into it...[:D][:D]
I have to admit, when I saw the opening statement, you had me wondering if there was a connection.
"my wife is from America and also probably know I’m about to be made redundant." [}:)][;)]
Alan S
DoubleChevron

Post by DoubleChevron »

Funny bit is you'll drive it like a granny.
You see it'll probably get 8mpg around town, and 15mpg on the highway .... I can't see you driving it really hard with the price of petrol over there.
How about I store it for you in Australia. Petrol is a LOT cheaper over here so I could *almost* afford to give it a run for you each weekend [}:)] The local airport has some old abondoned landing strips for me to 'amble' down in it [:D]
seeya,
Shane L.
jeremy

Post by jeremy »

Great fun - sort of thing I'd like to hire for a week, blow the holiday money on fuel and get out of my system.
Fuel cost could be a serious problem. Its not that you can't aford it or anything like that but the thought that to go 50 miles will cost you £20 and a smaller car will cost £6 will always make you say 'Not today - I'll do something else with the £14.'
Mind you - shame it will consume all your redundancy and more - imagine all the fun you could have blowing the cash in it!
jeremy
vanny

Post by vanny »

you could build a decent size garage with that money andy! Surprised you didnt think of it to begin with!
ActivaV6uk

Post by ActivaV6uk »

lol yeah but the house isnt worth the garage! its the first car becky has ever really wanted and to be honest it would be nice to have her interested in cars :)
Andy
bikeboyz

Post by bikeboyz »

Get a bigger container, and pop in a few nice rust free Citroen DS and good Peugeot 604 Turbo Diesel!
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

Dont tell anyone i said this, but do a container both ways.............. a good CX or two purchased for say 2000 a pop over here will be worth easy 4500 a pop to the right people in North America/Canada.
And in my opinion if you can justify a yank v8 of any sort you will fill it with fuel and just use and enjoy it. I defy ANYONE to have a nice big V8 burbling away below not to hit the kickdown when the road opens up. I couldnt help it, not ever. Even in the sedate oldsmobile delta 88.
And the big block camaro was a different matter entirley, start off in first, manual shift to secon (spinning the wheels all the way through) shift to drive (chirping the wheels again).
I broke the rear sway bar on this car, gave it a big bootfull one day coming out a bend and it just gripped and then lurched. Peek underneath, broken sway bar, whoops. You cannot help it, really ociffer.
ACTIVE8

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Nice car, looks lovely, and 470bhp great. [8D]
yangreen

Post by yangreen »

I can't even resist the "puny" 3528cc V8 in my Rover! You have to get 'em screaming. It's in the rules!
Stuart McB

Post by Stuart McB »

ACTIVE8, which one you going to be then? Boss Hogg or Daisey Duke?
(I know it's not the general lee but it's American after all)
ACTIVE8

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Well the Dukes of Hazzard has now been made into a film, and will be released this summer. Johnny Knoxville is playing the role of Luke, Seann William Scott as Bo, and Burt Reynolds as Boss Hogg, with Willie Nelson as Uncle Jesse.
Who would I be ?
I would like to be Luke, although if I wasn't Luke then at least I might get a chance to date Daisy [;)] who is being played by Jessica Simpson. [;)] [:p]