Flat battery after freezing nights

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

modi

Flat battery after freezing nights

Post by modi »

Flat battery after freezing nights ... but works fine in non-freezing weather, is it a faulty battery indication??? thanks
oilyspanner

Post by oilyspanner »

The cold kills em when theyre old, all of the chemical reactions slow down with the low temperatures.
Stewart
Kowalski

Post by Kowalski »

The battery on my '97 Xantia looks fairly old, possibly its the original.
When its very cold, the battery will barely turn the engine over if I don't wait for the glowplug light to go out. If I do wait for the glow plug light to go out it turns the engine over happilly. Turning the glowplugs on must warm up the battery... in warmer weather the battery is fine.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)

Post by JohnD »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Kowalski</i>

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
So it doesn´t owe you anything. The battery on my 1998 Xantia failed just on three years old. Although my 1998 Saxo is still on original.
modi

Post by modi »

guess what.. my battery is the original too, i am not going to replace it i think i will buy a jumping lead, the summer is coming [:D]
ItDontGo

Post by ItDontGo »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Kowalski</i>

When its very cold, the battery will barely turn the engine over if I don't wait for the glowplug light to go out. If I do wait for the glow plug light to go out it turns the engine over happilly. Turning the glowplugs on must warm up the battery... in warmer weather the battery is fine.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Sounds more like the battery is struggling to power both the glow plugs and the starter at the same time. Or am I mistaken?
G4EIY

Post by G4EIY »

Hi Modi,
On one of mt BX's, I made an insulation cover for the battery out of polysyrene sheet, held in place with nylon strapping.
This will help to conserve the heat in the battery on those cold nights...
Don't forget to depress thew clutch pedal while cranking...
But in your case, it sounds like the poor old battery is on it's last legs...
Cheers
Brian
Kowalski

Post by Kowalski »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ItDontGo</i>

Sounds more like the battery is struggling to power both the glow plugs and the starter at the same time. Or am I mistaken?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
No, the battery can power both at the same time, the glow plugs stay on long after the light goes out (havent you heard of afterglow)?
I think my battery will need replacing soon, but not just yet. This winter didn't kill it but perhaps the next one will. The car gets used 6 days a week, generally on long enough journeys so keeping it charged must be the secret to a long and healthy life (at least as far as a car battery is concerned).
oilyspanner

Post by oilyspanner »

An old remedy is a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda in each cell, then a good charge, it is best done before the battery is totally gone, I have had an "extra" 18 months like this.
Stewart
druist

Post by druist »

Mine was dying on me all the time a few weeks ago and i got a quote from Halfords for 68quid for a new one. Instead i bought a battery charger and its worked fine since.
paranoid

Post by paranoid »

https://secure.gsfcarparts.com/shop/results.asp
Extremely decent batterys as well!!!!!