C5 Fuel Filter (Where??)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

seanodwyer

C5 Fuel Filter (Where??)

Post by seanodwyer »

My wife was driving my c5 2.0 HDI 110 yesterday when it just cut out on her three times with no warning whilst driving along. I suspect I may need to drain water out of the fuel filter. But I can't find it! Sorry about this but the picture in the manual just doesn't appear to match up with the real engine. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm a complete new comer to car DIY.
Thanks
Sean
JohnD
(Donor 2022)

Post by JohnD »

You need to undo the four plastic turn buckles which will release the engine cover. The filter is at the front of the engine with two fuel pipes attached.
Patxi

Post by Patxi »

Sean, the filter is in the middle of the engine, as seen from the front. Behind it you can see the common rail tube. It's surrounded by some pipes.
It's just a big black or greenish type of can.
I'll try to get some pics of it (darn, why did i glued the engine cover with epoxy? [}:)])
Cheers!
Patxi

Post by Patxi »

Oh, BTW, those plastic turn buckles... put a pint of cyano on them or they will fall. Self experience....
bencowell

Post by bencowell »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Patxi</i>

put a pint of cyano on them or they will fall. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I'm sorry, I don't know what you mean?
I've removed the cover before, but don't have the foggiest idea what you are going on about.
seanodwyer

Post by seanodwyer »

Thanks guys for all the help I found it! I presume to bleed the water out I just had to loosen the screw cap at the bottom (the one with the tube hanging out of it). Couldn't see anything coming out but heard gurgling noise. Undid it for a few seconds and then tightened it again. I presume this should have done the trick.
Patxi

Post by Patxi »

Ben, it happened to me when i removed the cover and put it back on. I thought the turn buckles were secured, but they fell... That's why i advise putting a bit of glue on them.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

It seems unlikely it would be water in the fuel. What mileage has the car done?
It seems that at around 60k the low pressure fuel pumps give up the ghost. Symptoms can start with random cutting out, rapidly pregressing to a total no go situation.
You may need to cut your arm off and let the dealer read the fault codes....
seanodwyer

Post by seanodwyer »

Richard, she's got 57K miles on her. It's due a service in around 2K miles (1 months driving for me!). Thanks for the tip I'll make sure to get them to check it out. Are the pumps expensive?
bencowell

Post by bencowell »

If the car isn't 3 years old yet, forget waiting 2000 miles and get the service done now, it will give you a month and a half to get the car back again for any more diagnostic and guarantee work.
Ben
seanodwyer

Post by seanodwyer »

The Citroen warranty in Ireland is only two years :-(