BX crunching gears

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ohms69

BX crunching gears

Post by ohms69 »

Hi all,
I changed the gearbox oil yesterday on my BX TD and refilled with EP80 gear oil. All good, or so I thought!
The shift action is particularly crunchy now, nowhere near as smooth as it was before I drained. Do you think the gearoil is too thick?
Anybody got any ideas for curing this nasty shift action?
I've previously used redline MT-90 in a crunchy MR2 with great results...Although it is very expensive! Can I add a thinner synthetic engine oil to the box to help sort the notchy cahnge?
Thanks chaps[:)]
Dave Burns

Post by Dave Burns »

Drain it and refill with Total BV, the use of EP (extreme pressure) gear oils will produce this problem every time in one of these boxes, the syncro cones need a certain amount of friction to function.
Dave
ohms69

Post by ohms69 »

Thanks Dave.[;)]
Where's the best place to buy BV? Is it synthetic?
ScottFromNZ

Post by ScottFromNZ »

I put Redline synthetic gearbox oil in my MX5 to cure a rough gear change when cold. It worked well.
AndersDK

Post by AndersDK »

The BV oil is BV abbreviation in french for manual gearbox - gearoil.
Which means any old type gearbox oil will do - if you can find it - since all sellers seems convinced that new types synthetic oils is wonders from heaven. Simply wo'nt do the job in earlier Citroen boxes as DaveBurns explains.
The BV gearoil should be available from GSF - an early type 75W/80W API GL4 spec transmission oil.
Newer synthetics gearoils have higher spec - more importantly the API GL-5 spec - which won't do in earlier Citroen boxes. May even eat your brass-made syncro's because of the sulphuric additives in newer synthetics.
Donno on the redline MT-90. It should be explicitly spec'ed for boxes with brass made syncro's - else no good.