DS4 2022 - stock audio upgrade - speakers, connectors and amplifiers

This section is for General Enquiries or for Systems not Covered Above

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

DS4 2022 - stock audio upgrade - speakers, connectors and amplifiers

Post by AvatarPL »

Hi!
I'm looking to upgrade my stock DS4 audio,
I've changed speakers in front to Morel Maximo Ultra 602HE 2-way set and Morel Maximo Ultra 602 Coaxials at the back but I'd like to add an amplifier.
Difference is substantial because stock speakers at front are 130mm (5.1/4") so changing them to 165mm with custom adapters changed a lot.
What is interesting, Focal HI-FI option does give 165mm speakers at front but it's hard to tell why with base audio there are 130mm speakers.
The same complies to new Citroen C4 2021->.

But my question is, does anyone have any information on where the stock headunit (with it's built in amplifier) without Focal Hi-Fi option is located?
If anyone would have connectors pinout that would also be very very helpful since I would take HI-Level speaker signal to the aftermarket amplifier to power-up the system :)
Such information is available to DS Service but they don't want to share anything about this topic, at least in Poland :?

In return I have photos and information about removing panels front/rear of the doors as well as what from available online connectors is available and how to make things work for things that aren't available - ex. tweeter connectors.
We could make good guide for others that would like to follow this path - in DIY way which is a lot of fun :-D

Regards from Poland!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: DS4 2022 - stock audio upgrade - speakers, connectors and amplifiers

Post by GiveMeABreak »

This data won't be available publicly and Citroen will not divulge this to you without a time based paid subscription for electrical diagrams. We don't support official parts requests for later DS Automobiles (post Citroen Branding) at present and we won't have access to these diagrams for the same reasons, sorry. :(
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc

Post by AvatarPL »

Thanks for reply, it's unfortunate but it is how it is :)
Regards!
marktt225

Post by marktt225 »

Hi Guys - just reviving an old thread!

I'm looking to buy a DS4 E-tense on the used car market, but finding cars with the Focal upgrade fitted is like trying to find hens teeth! :?
It's a shame as it's the only thing holding me back buying one at the moment, I've always had the upgraded hi-fi in my previous cars, as I spend a lot of time commuting.

AvatarPL - how did you get on with upgrading the existing stock audio? I'm not against going down this route even if it costs around £1K to do it.

Thanks
Mark
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

and the rest...

These units are all different from factory and practically not cost-effective to retro-fit, as you need the correct IVI Head Unit (specific for the premium system) which is £1200 alone, then there are all the updated speakers (and additional speakers to go with it that you won't have fitted), the amplifier unit, so I'd suggest over £2k without fitting, and then there's the programming that you simply won't be able to do as the units require secure internet configuration and a dealer won't be able to do this as the vehicle's systems are locked to the VIN, so you can't get the system configured if the vehicle was never fitted with it. You see the issues and I haven't included the aerial module that is another £600 on top that may be needed for the OTA updates and other telematic features.....

Best to wait and find one with it as it really is a non-starter trying to upgrade one of these, to say nothing of not being able to get updates for it for the same reasons.

Marc
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

What about an after-market sound system that works off the standard system? No idea of cost but it must be more do-able and probably more cost effective.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Not an option Paul. These built-in units are part of the vehicle and are required for correct operation of systems. He's talking about the premium version of the unit available on some models when ordered at new. Any 'aftermarket systems are really for older cars, not the later systems that are integrated into the vehicle (safety systems and control of just about everything).

FOCAL Electra® HiFi system 14 speakers including subwoofer, 16-channel amplifier, 690-watt total power, Includes Laminated Acoustic Insulated Glazing, and Dark Tinted Rear Windows. This was about an £1100 upgrade to the existing system.

Marc
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

I'm not talking about replacing the head unit but using that standard unit to feed an amplifier and extra speakers. Such things used to be possible. I can't see why it's no longer feasible.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

You don't seem to realise that these vehicles already have an amplifier Paul. The Focal is on a completely different level which is the system he wants and is all controlled via the Iris system. I wouldn't want to start tearing up a £47k motor vehicle to put in some aftermarket amp.... but each to their own.

Marc
marktt225

Post by marktt225 »

Thanks guys for your input.

Yeah I completely understand that retrofitting the factory Focal system is not cost effective.

I’ve no qualms about going down the aftermarket route. There are solutions out there that re-equalise the output from the head unit back to a “flat” response, making it easier to retrofit a new amp and speakers. I’d probably just upgrade the speakers first and see how it sounds though.
marktt225

Post by marktt225 »

Good news Guys, I managed to find an 2022 e-tense with just 5000 miles on the clock and it’s got pretty much every option box ticked from new - pan roof, massage seats, night vision…and most importantly the Focal Hi-fi pack. The sound quality is mind blowingly good, I’m a very happy bunny!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

... and no butchering of the car too, a good result - sometimes a bit of patience can pay off, well done.

Marc