Peugeot 207 - when I put it in 1st I get 5th!! HELP!!

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MANDY

Peugeot 207 - when I put it in 1st I get 5th!! HELP!!

Post by MANDY »

Hello - I would really appreciate any advice or signposting you guys can give me. I’m not very mechanically minded and I’ve taken on the replacement of my gear selection cables on a 2010 Peugeot 207 - one of the cables literally snapped at the rod selector end inside the engine bay. I’ve had huge difficulties finding the match in cable replacement as I simply can’t afford the Peugeot parts prices but I’ve finally got something that will fit. I’ve managed to fit them myself, attaching correctly to the bracket inside the engine bay however I’ve some how managed to do it in such a way that if I select 1st gear it’s going into 5th (or something similar), it seems to be happy enough selecting reverse but the rest are all muddled up.

Hoping this is just a rookie (I don’t know anything about cars) error?!? Can anyone help?
quintet
Donor 2023

Re: Peugeot 207 - when I put it in 1st I get 5th!! HELP!!

Post by quintet »

Im trying to visualise what might have happened here but without physically seeing the vehicle and trying it it's a bit hard to guess as to what might be the issue. My initial thoughts are, 1 are they the correct part (might be worth double checking with the supplier). 2, Are they connected the wrong way round at the gear lever or gearbox, might be worth trying to swap one end around (if actually possible to to swap id start at the gear lever end).

Ive not done 207 cables but I've seen 206 cables done wrong, they have an automatic adjustment built into them which sets the cable length after fitment, the clips for the automatic adjuster must not be removed before fitment, however this makes overall poor gear selection & im not sure thats the same issue you have.

I presume your car had no gear selection issues before the cable snapped & only afterwards so it can only be a cable(s) issue imo.
Music keeps me going.