Key for 2003 Master

This is the Forum for all your Renault Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Eeconyn

Key for 2003 Master

Post by Eeconyn »

Hi everyone, I'm having trouble finding somewhere to get a key replacement for my 2003 Renault Master.

I tried a local key guy first - he said the vehicle was too old to be picked up by his machine.

I tried my local Renault dealership - they say their machines can't detect the computer in the vehicle. They also spoke to the Renault commercial centre and they said the same.

Any ideas where to turn to? The key is messing with the immobiliser on my van (horsebox conversion) and it's becoming increasingly difficult to get it to start because of that.

Sorry if any of my terminology is off - I'm not the best with cars.

Thanks for any help, greatly appreciated.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: Key for 2003 Master

Post by GiveMeABreak »

If Renault can't help you then it's quite possible that somebody has changed the engine ECU or modified it with different software or worse. Without access to your engine ECU or BSI, there's likely going to be an issue with getting a replacement key programmed to the vehicle, so don't lose the one you have!
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

Maybe the best path is to get a key and ECU set from a breaker?
wheeler

Post by wheeler »

What makes you think the key is the problem?
2003 was the changeover year for the newer model do you know which one you have?
If you are not bothered about having a remote you could always get a cloned key done, the old and new versions are both ID46 key chips so these can be cloned no problem without needing to plug into the van.
Eeconyn

Post by Eeconyn »

To explain the original issue - from time to time I'd been having trouble getting the van started. It would sometimes struggle to start, and sometimes be fine, and it was getting slowly worse over a period of about a year. I was planning on getting it looked at when it went in for MOT/repairs, but one day it did it and the service light came on (only for that drive).

I took it straight to my mechanic, who couldn't find any faults reading it - what he did find is that when it does do its starting issue, if you lock it then unlock it, it works fine (I've also since found this to be the case - leaving it for a bit and trying again without locking/unlocking does not help). So he recommended I replace the key as he thinks it is messing with the immobiliser - which is in turn 'unsure' about starting the van sometimes.

It's older and a cheap workhorse but aside from needing some rust repair, mechanically has been (surprisingly) reliable and I've had no previous trouble with the engine/electrics. My mechanic has connected repeatedly to check fault codes/dash lights/etc., though I'm not sure if that's the same 'computer' the dealership is referring to when they say they can't connect.

I have now got a new key from Renault, but I need to get it coded to the van. The Renault dealership I took it to seemed to be exclusively about new cars, so I'm planning to contact Renault Commercial myself and a more generalist Renault dealership as I wasn't left with the best faith in this place - I got a different story from each person I spoke to and they seemed reluctant to touch a van...

TBH I've suspected the working key I have might be on the way out for a while as it can be finicky to lock/unlock. I had a spare but I stupidly put it "somewhere safe" and of course now have no idea where it is - so I was planning on getting a new key done anyway.

Again, sorry if my terminology is off! The vehicle is an 03 reg and it looks like the older 1997-2003 model. It was obviously converted to be a horsebox from the standard van (which gives me the idea actually that I could ask the builder for any relevant info).

Thank you all for taking the time to reply.
wheeler

Post by wheeler »

Do you have a red LED on the dash (it’s usually in the middle at the top) that blinks when the ignition is off? When you switch the ignition on the LED should come on solid for a second or two then go out. If the key is not recognised the LED flashes rapidly when the ignition is turned on, if this isnt doing the rapid flashing when the van doesn’t start then i would probably rule out a key fault.