sagging headliner

Yes, place your time and money saving tips here.Nothing illegal or dangerous please!Motoring related only please.

Moderator: RichardW

Vic Evans
Donor 2023

sagging headliner

Post by Vic Evans »

I hadn't used my '99 Pug 806 for ages & when I went to use it found the head lining had come unstuck & was sagging around my ears.
A professional recover would have cost more than the car's value so as the glue was still tacky I had a go at re-fixing the lining.
My first attempt with a hair drier was nearly OK but didn't seem to have stuck it back on concave curves so I tried steam from a hand held steamer & a small paint roller to push the liner into place which appears to have done the job.
Just to be sure it didn't fall down again I fixed it with rows of press studs which were screwed to the liner board.
So far so good & after a few trips out nothing has moved & the fix seems to have done the job.
IMG_20220912_102935_compress10.jpg
sorry about duplicate photo. dunno how to get rid of it.
IMG_20220912_163935_compress18.jpg
Last edited by myglaren on 16 Sep 2022, 13:32, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Redundant image removed.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: sagging headliner

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ideally, you should of used some double sided tape. This is used when undertaking official operations requiring the headlining to be removed and is just used at key points front centre and at the sides where needed.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Vic Evans
Donor 2023

Post by Vic Evans »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 16 Sep 2022, 18:34 Ideally, you should of used some double sided tape. This is used when undertaking official operations requiring the headlining to be removed and is just used at key points front centre and at the sides where needed.
The front & sides were attached & held in place by grab handles, lights etc. Only the rear had 'come adrift'.
To gain access to apply tape or glue would have meant dismantling numerous fittings & once this was done I might have well taken the liner board down & replaced the lining which would have been a longer, more expensive & unwarranted job on the old gal.
I was looking for a 'cheap & cheerfull' repair to an old car hence my experiments with ways to reconstitute the existing glue.
The job took about 6 hours with the help of a mate & cost 16€ for the press stud buttons which will hold the liner sufficiently in place if all else fails.
I posted my efforts on here in case it might help someone else in the same predicament.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Very inventive. I just thought I'd mention it as that's what they use officially if they need to remove any parts of the headlining, but you have sorted it now, nice job.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc