Renault Rlink-2 navigation system error

This is the Forum for all your Renault Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Old Man

Renault Rlink-2 navigation system error

Post by Old Man »

Hello everyone,

I have a car with a Renault Megane IV Rlink-2 navigation system. The car is one and a half years old. For more than a year, I have found that navigation is an unreasonably long journey when searching for the fastest route - in several cases. I first noticed this on a route I knew. On one occasion, when I was driving on this road, I inserted an intermediate point on a route that I thought was good when I started on the route planned by the navigation. I was surprised because the navigation counts 20 minutes shorter after my intervention than he had previously suggested. I checked several times later and always got the same result. Rlink-2 navigation is TomTom based. I also have a portable TomTom navigation and I checked the route with it. To my surprise, the portable navigation was designed differently with the same setting as the built-in navigation if I didn’t interfere with the built-in navigation by entering an intermediate point. I contacted the service with the problem. They said they couldn’t help because the car’s software and map were up to date and they didn’t get information from the dealership. I contacted the dealership (Hungary) where after a long agreement they would check the problem in another vehicle's system. The end result was the same, with the two built-in systems planning the same wrong route for the fastest setup. The deviation on the given route (approx. 250 km) is 20 minutes! Delaership claims that this design is a feature of the Rlink-2 system. It was suggested that I use an intermediate point when planning a route! After that, I started to pay close attention to the system and I experience similar deviations and faulty designs. I’m starting to not trust the system because I don’t know the greater distance of 500-1000 km when it plans poorly. Has anyone experienced anything similar to Rlink-2 navigation?

Thx,

Old Man
George the Old Man
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: Renault Rlink-2 navigation system error

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I can't help you with Renault systems unfortunately, but it is common for navigation systems to provide several options for route calculation.

Usually a fastest route, shortest route or an optimised or 'Eco' route. In addition to of these options, you may also need to configure TMC or live traffic intervention. If you enable this, some systems can dynamically avoid traffic or accidents that have been reported and incorporate the changes into your calculated journey.

Then there are the places or preferences settings that can be avoided, like toll roads or ferries for example. So it's not really feasible to compare a mobile sat nav with a factory fitted option as they may have different capabilities and this can affect the route planning and calculations.

Furthermore, the mapping software versions may be slightly different for each system. Bear in mind that mapping data is rarely up to date - the data is usually collected the previous year, prepared and finally rolled out the following year.

So this can be a combination of multiple factors that can cause a difference in route calculation.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Old Man

Re: Renault Rlink-2 navigation system error

Post by Old Man »

HI GiveMeABreak,

OK I understand and I am aware of these. Even though, I don’t understand why navigation is planning a longer journey with the “fastest” setting when, when directed to the other route, it realizes that it is more than 15% faster than the original. In my specific case, both roads are known in navigation in addition to the faster road on the highway as opposed to the original plan. There is no traffic incident, there may be a highway ban, no dirt road, etc. In any case, thank you for your opinion.

Thx,
Old Man
George the Old Man