Can't connect

Forum News, Announcements and any issues you're having with the forum

Moderator: myglaren

Steve Walsh
Donor 2024

Can't connect

Post by Steve Walsh »

Hi Admin

Has there been a change to the site over the last couple of days, The only way I can log on to FCF is through a VPN to show I am in UK, Never had a problem before and it only seems to be this site.
Also tried to log in via wife's Ipad and still the same

Steve
Thanx to Marc and all the admins & knowledgeable people that make this the best forum on the interweb. =D> =D> =D>
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Re: Can't connect

Post by mickthemaverick »

Dammit, he's sussed it!! It only happens when you haven't posted a joke for a while Steve!! :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

There has not been any recent change to forum configuration. We were also unaffected by the global internet outage earlier today.

Using a browser and connection that is having problems, open a "private" or "incognito" window and see if you can connect. If that works, then you have a cookie or cache problem in your browser. If that does not work, then maybe you have a DNS caching error, try rebooting your internet router.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

A global Internet Outrage?
First I have heard of that.
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

It made the news bulletins today on the Beeb. It took out the gov.uk, Amazon and some newspapers amongst others.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-57399628
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

Weird. Passed me by completely. I'm used to my broadband dropping out and it has hardly done that today, only a few seconds.
Perhaps I was doing something useful at the time. Unlikely but not impossible.
Steve Walsh
Donor 2024

Post by Steve Walsh »

xantia_v6 wrote: 08 Jun 2021, 20:34 There has not been any recent change to forum configuration. We were also unaffected by the global internet outage earlier today.

Using a browser and connection that is having problems, open a "private" or "incognito" window and see if you can connect. If that works, then you have a cookie or cache problem in your browser. If that does not work, then maybe you have a DNS caching error, try rebooting your internet router.
My internet access is a Windows Laptop using iphone hotspot on 4G mobile, I have been using it this way for at least 12 months. I have tried incognito and can't connect. I have cleared all cookies, cache and rebooted phone and laptop, but still wont connect direct to FCF without me using VPN. Problem must be my end but not a clue where and it is only FCF that I have to do this with

Steve
Thanx to Marc and all the admins & knowledgeable people that make this the best forum on the interweb. =D> =D> =D>
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Post by mickthemaverick »

Just a thought Steve. This sounds to me like the type of random issue that occurs after a windows update that microsoft keep endowing us with. Have a look at your windows firewall/ defender and see if there is a "safe sites" and " blocked sites" list. If so make sure the FCF is on the right list! As I said just a thought that occurred to me. Good luck, certainly need to get it sorted for all our sakes :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

I think that I have identified the problem. It appears that our ipv6 address is un-routable which makes the site unavailable for some browsers in some network environments. I have temporarily disabled our ipv6 dns records, which should help. I will raise an issue with our hosting provider to get ipv6 reinstated.
Steve Walsh
Donor 2024

Post by Steve Walsh »

Thanks very much for all suggestions and help. All seems to be working now, Got to have my daily fix of FCF

Steve
Armidillo
(Donor 2022)

Post by Armidillo »

Thanks Mike - that's fixed it for me too.

I commented in the Aussie Frogs sub-forum a couple of days ago that I had lost access using Firefox or Chrome, but could still connect using Edge (so Windows update theory not so plausible). Didn't try a VPN. Anyway, all is well now.