Needing recharged already!?

Post your Cit/Peu/Ren air conditioning queries or advice.

Moderator: RichardW

R9UKE

Needing recharged already!?

Post by R9UKE »

Hi,

I got the air con regassed on my 2003 Mégane in May last year by Kwik Fit. It's been used regularly as it automatically comes on with the demisting programme so was on quite a bit in winter. But now that the weather has got hot, it's hopeless. There is no difference with the AC on or off. I can hear it kicking in, but the air is not cold!

Is this normal for it to be needing done once a year?
I've also tried one of those air con cleaners - no difference.

I recieved a letter from Renault saying they regas for £49 (Kwik Fit is £45), so I was thinking of booking it in - but not if it needs a repair first!
Could there be a leak?

Oh and it's the digital automatic climate control by the way, not just the regular AC button.

Thanks.
French is best.
Xaccers

Post by Xaccers »

I'd say there's a leak
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad »

If the AC is cutting in but its not cool then it sounds like there is a leak in the AC system.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

I would say there is a leak too, the pressure has not dropped enough for the A/C to break the feed to the compressor clutch but its getting that way.
When they get regassed they always check for leaks with a vacuume test first anyway i believe so just get it booked in.
Are there any oily residue's around the hose unions or on the windscreen?

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
DoubleChevron

Post by DoubleChevron »

Have you checked the mixer flap in the car is working correctly ?? You can have the freezing cold air-con system, but if your heater box flap doesn't move to allow the refrigerated air in .... it'll never work :)

If you feel the compressor hoses, are the suction/discharge sides getting hot/cold ??

seeya,
Shane L.
'96 Big BX 2.1TD exclusive slugomatic (aka XM)
'85 CX2500 GTi Turbo Series II (whoo hooo)
'96 Xantia VSX slugomatic (sold !!)
and of course, lots of old Citroens, slowly rusting away in pieces ;)
R9UKE

Post by R9UKE »

Thanks for advice so far, unfortunately I have very little experience when it comes to AC systems so wouldn't know where to look.

OK so today was warm. I put it to the coldest and blew the fan, pressed the AC button, but I noticed no change in engine tone or any noise, it didn't look as if the AC is kicking in at all now. But the air was cold, colder than a car without AC, but yet not cold enough for you to know it was AC.

I'm off all this week. I'll book it in somewhere and keep you updated.
French is best.