C4 (Coupe), C4 (B7),
C5 (X7)

Renault
R4 Van
Fuego
Clio Campas

C5 Radios - Sat Nav and everything esle audio

Post by Sloppysod »

I am putting this here but I think our Peugeot Friends may be able to help.
Having just missed a bargain and having my appetite moistened, I am now a little confused, so can someone please help.

What radio does what?
My C5 2011, has a "RD4/MP3" RDS COMPACT DISC AUDIO SYSTEM, it plays CD's and has a USB connection, Bluetooth phone & audio included linked to the standard orange screen
Now what about the other units out there, Nreg, Nreg2, NG4......................
Radio/Satnav/CD/Harddrive/Hifi system/speaker in boot/scrreen/touch scrreen/Amplifier/ - anything audio

If I get the information I will try to assemble it and create a wiki page, unless someone already has or beat me to it!!

Thanks in advance.
Stu
Stu 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

"Some cause happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go"Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Major interventions
C5 Steering rack @ 58,000 mi
4 discs & Pads @ 63,585 mi
2 (AM6) oil exchanges @ 58,876 & 72,378 mi
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Re: C5 Radios - Sat Nav and everything esle audio

Post by jgra1 »

hi Stu,
my X7 2010 has a full size screen, which has :
sat nav with a 3d element to it.. you can see hill relief - which is a nice touch (but then my job is mapping using satellite imagery*!)
it has Bluetooth (for phone calls only)
USB
HD (don know how big, probably not very)
SD card I think
Video/Aux in
speaker wise I suspect 4 large ones and 4 small ones, although I haven't looked much ;)
no touch screen
DVD player/MP3 format disc player (not used yet)#
annoyingly, analogue radio (no DAB)
that is it I think..

*I would love to add my own imagery into the system, is it even a possibility? strange question really..

I don't really know what the system I have is called.. RT something, Navidrive something ;)?
John
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

You brave soul :shock:
Here's your starter for 10 Stu:
Navidrive 3D (NG4) made by Harman Becker

Features
Combines a 16:9 7" hi resolution screen with the following features:
Voice Commands for the Audio System, Navigation System, Telephone and Address Book management, Volume and SMS Reading etc.
DVD Player (Region Coded)
MP3 CD Compatible
10 Gb Jukebox Function
Music CDs can be copied to the Hard Drive directly
30 Gb Hard Drive for Navigation mapping
RCA Audio / Video Connectors for connecting the unit to external video sources / Games Console etc.
SD Card slot for additional storage and playback of Music (WMA, MP3 etc)
USB connector for updates and additional connectivity.
GPS system, incorporating Audible and Visual warnings for fixed Speed Camera locations and speed restricted Zones, updated as required via USB port.
2D, Overhead or or 3D display of buildings and major Landmarks in Cities
Live Traffic Information incorporated into Navigation
Bluethooth Telephone Connectivity
Built in GSM Telephone in addition to Bluetooth with dedicated SIM slot.
Provides Emergency Services: Citroen Emergency, Citroen Assistst and Citroen On Line which utilises the phone and GPS functions, making it possible to locate the vehicle if the driver is ill or has had a severe accident, or to access call centre services. In an emergency situation and depending on the severity of the impact the system will call the Emergency Services.

I think that's about it for this system :-D
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

I think i have the above ;) and have learn't a bit!
I didn't know about sms and 3d buildings !
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Re SMS, the system will only read SMS messages out from the built in phone, not from the Bluetooth connected phone. One option I have used is to create a contact on my iPhone that diverts my calls to the Carphone and then switch to the internal phone. When I've finished the journey I hit the Undivert contact and call revert back to my iPhone.

Regarding the Sat Nav 3D, this is dependant upon the mapping system from HERE, formerly Navteq, who make the maps. They are updating these all the time, and it depends were you are as to whether they have created a 3D layer. Obviously. The Eiffel Tower is! as well as the bigger cities.

Marc
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

There is also the rneg and rneg 2 systems and rt5 iirc

The rneg system has no drive in it but has an sdcard slot(only for maps) and cd drive. For USB inout it relies on a media interface box from Citroen.

The rneg2 system has the ability to have a USB input without adapter just a cable which is relatively cheap. It ha no sd card slot though but does also allow Bluetooth audio streaming. The screen is larger than the rneg unit but uses the same lvds connecting cable.

There is the. The smeg unit which is touch screen and has a hard drive for maps but again size is unknown to me at least.

The ng4 unit I believe has a 30gb hdd drive which is known for reliability issues but some people have swapped out for other units although it's not a modern hdd connector that's used so takes some digging to get one
Sloppysod
Donor 2024
My Cars: Citroens
1 x GS, 1 x GSX (Banger raced), 1 x GSA,
2 x CX Famililles, 1 x CX GTI,
BX, XM, Xantia, C5 Mk1,
C4 (Coupe), C4 (B7),
C5 (X7)

Renault
R4 Van
Fuego
Clio Campas

Post by Sloppysod »

Thanks all for the replies, I think I have decided a way forward, if I go ahead with the upgrade which depends on availability of parts and the OEM wiring behind my dash.

As I said in the first post, I will try to put all this, plus the information I have found on the web, on a wiki page, so if anyone else asks the same question it is all in one place, however, it may be a month or so before this happens.
Stu
Stu 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

"Some cause happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go"Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Major interventions
C5 Steering rack @ 58,000 mi
4 discs & Pads @ 63,585 mi
2 (AM6) oil exchanges @ 58,876 & 72,378 mi
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

KP wrote:There is also the rneg and rneg 2 systems and rt5 iirc
The rneg system has no drive in it but has an sdcard slot (only for maps) and cd drive. For USB inout it relies on a media interface box from Citroen.
The RNEG can also play back MP3 and WMA files from the SD card - but you can't have the navigation on at the same time, as the navigation requires the Nav SD card in to operate. So when not using the Nav, just pop in an SD card with your tunes on.
KP wrote:The ng4 unit I believe has a 30gb hdd drive which is known for reliability issues but some people have swapped out for other units although it's not a modern hdd connector that's used so takes some digging to get one
Actually, these NG4 Navidrive 3D units are the least problematic of systems - it's the RT6 units that seem to have the majority of issues with their chips frying and is well-documented on various Forums, often necessitating a replacement unit. On the Navidrive 3D, there is a 40Gb Hard Drive, of which 10Gb is available to the user for music storage, CD Ripping and Jukebox function if desired. 30 Gb is reserved for system operations such as Voice Command, European Mapping, Phone and Address Data etc.

Marc
Richard_C
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: C4 Picasso 1.6 Blue Hdi 120 Manual Excl+ 2016
C3 1.2 Puretech 110 Auto Flair 2017

Post by Richard_C »

My former 2010 one had a RNEG system, also known as myway ( not the same as e-myway which might have come to the very last batch). It was a VTR+Nav, I think only the Exclusives had RT4s with the disc drive and 3D maps.

As others have said, maps on SD card, CD player that will also play MP3 files from CD, FM/AM radio, TMS traffic alerts so no data connection needed. Nota touch screen (maybe e myway is?)

No USB port, but in the glovebox there is a pair of phono plugs so with an adaptor you can connect the headphone output of your phone/i whatever but you have to control it via the phone.

Bluetooth for phone, can dial and receive calls using buttons on steering wheel, but does not stream music from phone

2 changes which I think happened about 2010/11 - added the ability to stream music from phones, and some had 3rd phono plug in glovebox so you could send video to the screen.

Mine would read out texts, but I never worked out of that was a RNEG feature or Cortana on my Windows OS phone.

They are heavily integrated with the steering wheel controls and other display, summary navigation instructions and street name can be put up on speedometer, and probably other things as well .
Richard_C

Current: , C4 Picasso 120 BlueHdi, C3 1.2 Auto
Past Citroens: Dyane (x2), 2CV, Visa, BX (x2), Xantia, Xsara Picasso, C3 (x2) C5 X7 Tourer, Synergie 1.9TD, C1
Others: Hillman Hunter, Cortina Mk 1, Maxi, VW Type 2, Granada, SAAB 900, SAAB 9-5, R5 Gordini
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Richard_C wrote:My former 2010 one had a RNEG system, also known as myway ( not the same as e-myway which might have come to the very last batch). It was a VTR+Nav, I think only the Exclusives had RT4s with the disc drive and 3D maps.

Not quite - the Navidrive 3D is was a expensive cost option - Part of the Navidrive / Concert Pack and not standard spec. From 2009, the VTR, VTR+ and Exclusive all had the same RDS, MP3 / CD Player and Dual Tuners, but in addition the VTR+ had the MyWay as standard (which included Bluetooth), whilst the Exclusive also got the Bluetooth connectivity and USB Socket. The Myway Sat Nav didn't have 3D mapping, and didn't have the higher res. display screen.

As others have said, maps on SD card, CD player that will also play MP3 files from CD, FM/AM radio, TMS traffic alerts so no data connection needed. Nota touch screen (maybe e myway is?)
No, the E-Myway was not touch screen, but was supposed to be an improvement over MyWay, but many thought it was a step back

No USB port, but in the glovebox there is a pair of phono plugs so with an adaptor you can connect the headphone output of your phone/i whatever but you have to control it via the phone.

Bluetooth for phone, can dial and receive calls using buttons on steering wheel, but does not stream music from phone

2 changes which I think happened about 2010/11 - added the ability to stream music from phones, and some had 3rd phono plug in glovebox so you could send video to the screen.
This was also present as part of Navidrive Pack L/R Audio sockets plus Video input and additional built in phone as well as Bluetooth phone connectivity.

Mine would read out texts, but I never worked out of that was a RNEG feature or Cortana on my Windows OS phone.
SMS can be read from the built in phone, but not on from the Bluetooth on earlier models - so maybe a later improvement

They are heavily integrated with the steering wheel controls and other display, summary navigation instructions and street name can be put up on speedometer, and probably other things as well .
I've used some of the newer touch screen systems (on the Cactus for example) and I don't like them at all - the displays get very marked with grubby finger prints and they can sometimes take a while to respond - which is very annoying considering that just about all the controls are activated from these - heating, fan speed, Start / Stop, Audio, etc. so I was constantly pressing the screen. This took away my concentration, so I would not opt for one of these given the choice. I much prefer the voice commands of my Navidrive system to do all the Navigation, Telephony and Audio, Traffic etc., without having to faff about :-D

Marc