Gear box problems

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

renagade
My Cars: had:
2 citroen ds super 5
1 citroen ds pallas
1 citroen bx
1 citroen cx pallas
1 citroen dyan
1 citroen ami
1 citroen 2cv
2009 c5 x7 in Black 84k
2011 c5 x7 in Black Semi Auto on steel springs 76k

now
2011 c5 x7 1.6 e-hdi egs6 black 70k

Gear box problems

Post by renagade »

Hi guy's
Well Monday morning came along and I went to reverse the car off the drive, would not select reverse gear and came up with the warning I had a gear box fault. I took the near side wheel arch lining out and sure enough the oil tank for the gear box actuator's was empty. 2011 1.6 egs6 e-hdi by the way. First mistake was to order of e-bay the actuator oil @ 10.77 agains Citroen 30 quid all for a litre. Wed .came and so does my actuator oil so outside filled the little tank and started the engine and then as the oil dropped filled the tank to the top level mark.I put the car back together ( by the way THE pipe was wet with oil ) and went my merry way down the road to my Citroen garage with the car not missing a beat and the auto gear change so smooooooth. Well about a mile into my journey I had to stop at the traffic lights and then that was when the fun began. The engine cut out (stop start system) and the gear indicator was tell me I was still in gear no 5.
To cut a long story short Citroen came and transported me back to the garage. I booked the car in for a computer check and was told that Citroen had done a recall for that car ( timing belt and pulley ) so that was to be done. Computer check came back telling them that the car had been run in a dry position and that more that likely the actuator's were up the spout.
I was sick at thinking of a bill of 1800 quid but the guy who is doing the job said he was going to fit a new pipe fill the system up with Citroen oil and was quite convinced that would cure the problem.
The moral of this story is, make sure IF you have the same problem to fill with the Citroen oil and no the e-bay oil.I am hoping to get my car back this weekend.
Attachments
E-bay oil @ £10.77
E-bay oil @ £10.77
e-bay oil @ £10.77
e-bay oil @ £10.77
There are so many roads to travel but so little time, (Paul Cofield )
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 109k one of two remaining
'03 206 GTi180 - 97k in pieces being brought back up to snuff
'03 206 1.9TD - home-built veg-fuelled B-road bruiser
'99 306 SE 2.0i cabriolet - 92k awaiting service work ready for next summer
'97 306 XS 1.6i 3 door, Bianca White, from dead 12 years & seized solid to road legal in 7 days

Re: Gear box problems

Post by ekjdm14 »

Hang on, from what you say it's the fact the actuators ran dry of oil & not the fact you used ebay oil that is your issue? And there is a pipe that caused the leak in the first place.

Surely one would think in this situation the ebay oil is not at fault, unless there's something I missed in the post?
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 109k
'03 206 GTi180 94k in surgery
'03 206 1.1S XUD9TE/veg project :mrgreen:
'99 306 2.0SE cabriolet 95k summer toy
'97 306 XS 1.6i 99k sat 12 years, fixed in 7 days, 150mile maiden voyage :rofl2:
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

There have been a lot of posts about Auto box oils and sticking rigidly to the known approved types - but not much has been mentioned on the hydraulic oil for the actuators on the EGS system. Fingers crossed they solve it for you and fair play to the dealer for trying to help you out, where many would probably want to replace the whole thing! Not all main dealers are stealers thankfully.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

This listing: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Citroen-Peuge ... 2038680376 implies that the Petronas stuff is the 'genine' article without the excessive Citroen mark up. How true that is I don't know! Seems more likely low oil level was the problem....
Richard W
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
'97 306 XS 1.6i 3 door, Bianca White, from dead 12 years & seized solid to road legal in 7 days

Post by ekjdm14 »

Good point on the Citroen dealer, may be worth naming them if they're a good one. I'm sure they'd appreciate a mention on this site & possible extra trade that may bring.
'97 306 XS 1.6i 99k sat 12 years, fixed in 7 days, 150mile maiden voyage :rofl2:
demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Post by demag »

Does it have to be bled? I would also think dry actuators and not the new oil.

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk
Dave
2011 Peugeot 3008 1.6hdi Exclusive EGS.
'04 C5 auto estate 2.2 hdi. Gone.
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
renagade
2 citroen ds super 5
1 citroen ds pallas
1 citroen bx
1 citroen cx pallas
1 citroen dyan
1 citroen ami
1 citroen 2cv
2009 c5 x7 in Black 84k

now

Post by renagade »

Hi Guy's
I was taking my wife to work and started the engine to find reverse gear would not hold in and would slip back to nuteral after trying a number of times switched off the engine.
It went like this. I pulled the wheel arch protector and found the tank ( for the oil ) was below the bottom line so I rang Citroen and was given a price for the one litre of oil at 30 quid so me being tight look up the oil on eBay and reading the notes at the bottom of the advert thought I will get some of this at £10.77 plus £7 for dell. The said oil arrived a day early so I was out on the drive like a shot and filled the tank to the top and started the engine and the oil level dropped 1/2 inch and then two great big bubbles of air came up and then I topped it off. Replaced the wheel arch liner and reversed of the drive and went for a ride. I must say I did think that the pipe was leaking so I had decided while I was out to go to Evanshalshaw Doncaster to order the pipe. About 3/4 of a mile into my drive I had to stop at the traffic lights near Tesco on Thorne road ( stop start system on my car ) so I noticed that the gear indicator on the dash was showing the car had stoped in 5th gear. I pressed the brake peddle ( you need to do this to start the car engine ) and turned the key and all I got was sweet f a ,only a bing bong from the dash and a message to say Gear Box damaged needs Citroen Attention. The rest of the story you will know about. Citroen did call to day and told me the cam belt and water pump ( paid for by Citroen as a recall ) was nearly done and they were just waiting on the pipe and then they would start and drain the oil and refill with Citroen oil. Having read the post by the guy at the top of this page I hope it is not a problem with the actuators as that will be big money. £1800.00 plus fitting.
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

No, I'm not sure I'm following this at all. The lack of drive (if only in reverse) was due to loss of oil. Refilling it with a budget product solved the immediate problem - but caused another.
I hope I'm proved wrong 'cos I can't see how changing the brand will make any difference. Fact is, Citroen don't make oil, so that could be anybody's (although I'd hazard a guess at Total) so no magic there, save it should ensure it's the right spec. - & THAT is what's important!
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
renagade
2 citroen ds super 5
1 citroen ds pallas
1 citroen bx
1 citroen cx pallas
1 citroen dyan
1 citroen ami
1 citroen 2cv
2009 c5 x7 in Black 84k

now

Post by renagade »

I don't know the procedure ,I thought just filling the tank with the correct level of oil would do the trick but I am informed on another thread (c4 piccaso egs6 ) that after you fill the tank you need lexia to bleed the system ,what does the team think. Citroen have just phoned me to say the lexia that they have is now tell them it is the actuators that are at fault and it would cost me all in £1650.00. I carn't tell you how sick my wife is.
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)

Post by ekjdm14 »

Hmm, I don't know. I'm still hopeful that there may just be air entrained in the system due to running empty (and possibly also entering through damaged pipe, or maybe pressure loss through the same?) and if there is some bleed through procedure possible for the actuators then I would have to at least replace the pipe, fill with fresh genuine oil and attempt a thorough bleeding before condemning the actuators.

Assuming they were in good condition prior to the fault/s, I can't see how less than a mile of driving can have killed them off even if the oil were of the wrong spec. Not being familiar with how the system works, could they have been damaged previously by the low oil level maybe though?

For the price of new actuators, I have to believe it's worth someone looking into how they fail and what (if anything) can be done to repair/refurbish them. I'm sure if they're fixable there'd be some kind of demand for them if they could undercut new prices by a few hundred quid!

If anyone has some dead EGS actuators lying about the place, I'd quite like to take a look myself TBH.
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

Absolutement! With you on all points. It would be crazy not to see what affect bleeding has AND not to explore alternatives to replacing the actuators - at Citroen prices.
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
renagade
2 citroen ds super 5
1 citroen ds pallas
1 citroen bx
1 citroen cx pallas
1 citroen dyan
1 citroen ami
1 citroen 2cv
2009 c5 x7 in Black 84k

now

Post by renagade »

Well Guy's . latest update from Citroen is that the actuators are (-expletive removed-). Bill so far is £2209.55p not bad for as they say putting the wrong oil into the gear actuator pump. A load of bollocks but they have my car in pieces on the ramp, what can I do now.They said they had filled with correct fluid and lowered car and it went into gear forwards and backwards ten times so they put it on the ramp to fit the underbody panel and when they lowered it to the ground it would not go forwards or backwards. The actuators will take over a week to get to them.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Really sorry to hear that - you're stuck in a situation now, with little option at this point apart from walking away from it. I will never buy a vehicle with this type of system - not much comfort I know. I had to have my Auto box rebuilt on the XM after it failed - clutch packs I think, but the whole rebuild cost me a £1000. £2.2k just for the actuators so far is criminal... Are they saying it is down to the oil you bought on the bay?

Marc
renagade
2 citroen ds super 5
1 citroen ds pallas
1 citroen bx
1 citroen cx pallas
1 citroen dyan
1 citroen ami
1 citroen 2cv
2009 c5 x7 in Black 84k

now

Post by renagade »

I have sent this message to the e-Bay seller.
I thought I would tell you that I used the actuator Oil I bought from you and according to Citroen Doncaster it is the wrong oil for the actuator use and I now have a £2209.55 bill for a damaged gear box all through putting the oil you sold me. This is Citroens findings not mine.
Thank You.
Yes Citroen have looked at the container and tested the oil and say that the oil is the cause of the damaged actuators. Now have to wait a week for Citroen to get the parts delivered from France.
By the way did I tell every body I still like my C5 X7.
If only I could afford a Lexia I might have been able to call their . ( Citroen) bluff.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I think there is a valuable lesson here for others regarding types of oils. I've put a link to the recommended oils here: There are 2 types depending on the Actuator types MCP / MTA or DCT (near the bottom of the guide):
https://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/wiki/C ... arbox_Oils

Marc