Heater Blower

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

kinrsole
My Cars:

Heater Blower

Post by kinrsole »

My heater blower has just stopped working. I have done a search but the more I read the more confused I get [:I].
I have taken the blowner out and connected it to a 12 volt supply to the thick black and red wires which run directly into the motor and it worked OK. I have check the voltage from the thick red and black wires which come from under the dash into the heater blower resistor (I think this is what it as. The car has A/C) and get a reading of 6 volts. I have tried bypassing the resistor by connecting the thick black and red wire straight to the other thick red and black wires which go to the motor but nothing happened.
I'm not very good with electrics so could some one help pin point the problem.
I'm guessing it’s the resistor
Cheers
Kinrsole
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

If you have A/C then I'm afraid that it's not as simple as replacing a resistor - the fan motor is driven by an electronic circuit, the most common cause for failure is that one of a transistor pair - a so called "Darlington pair" has given up the ghost. You can either try and find a similar circuit board from a scrappy (it's the one directly behind the air control knobs (or display if you have fully electronic A/C), or try and get it fixed by a general electronics repair shop. Don't even think of going to Citroën - they will want more than you think your car is worth!
//NiSk
kinrsole
My Cars:

Post by kinrsole »

Sorry, I think you may have miss-understood the resistor I was referring to.
I meant the resistor which alters the speed of the fan which seems to be attached to the heater blower. If I bypass this using an external 12 supply then the fan works but not if I use the red and black wires which attach to the heater blower.
Are you suggesting it may be the heater controls which need replacing?
TomH
My Cars:

Post by TomH »

What car do you have?
Mine packed up and I put a new resistor in last weekend, working fine again now (I was chuffed!)... albeit with a big spray of leaves when I first tried it!!
kinrsole
My Cars:

Post by kinrsole »

Xantia 2.1 TD SX with A/C.
I'm hoping mine is the same thing.
There seems to be power reaching the resistor but I'm not sure if enough power is reaching it.There doesn't seem to be any power coming out of the resistor
Fingers cross they have one at the scrappy.
cheers
KinRsole
PeterMann
My Cars:

Post by PeterMann »

It is a known problem with the Xantia, that the ignition switch fails prematurely in feeding power to the blower circuit. I can supply a circuit diagram and photos of a plug-in for a shunt relay, a modification which restored the blower operation on my 1994 (airconditioned) Xantia. eMail request to nicolewis@optusnet.com.au, and I will send the drawing and photos. Peter Mann
kinrsole
My Cars:

Post by kinrsole »

Just got back for the scrappy with a heater motor.
tried it in but still no luck.
Either I have two faulty motors or its not that.
I also got the control panel which I'm about to change.
If this doesn't fix it then what else could it be.
Could it be ,as Peter says the ignition switch?
If it is this how can I be sure before spending all day removing one form the scrappy and replacing mine.
Cheers
KinRsole
den169
My Cars:

Post by den169 »

if the heated rear screen is not working aswell chances are its the ignition switch my Xantia did the same got an auto electrician to by pass the ignition switch and put a relay on and its been fine ever since.
kinrsole
My Cars:

Post by kinrsole »

Just fitted the controller and still no luck.
Looking like the ignition switch thingy.
What do I have to get from the scrap yard to solve this?
There is a Xantia with the ignition switch showing but I wasn't sure which bit I would need.
If I run a 12v feed from the battery which wire on the heater motor would I connect it to?
The thick red one which goes in to the resistor?
Thanks for the help so far
Cheers
KinRsole
kinrsole
My Cars:

Post by kinrsole »

Just started the car and the bloody thing's working again[:)]
At least I now know its ignition related.
Could still do with a few pointers on what needs to be replaced
Thanks
kinRsole
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

I had this problem for the first time yesterday although it reset itself next time I started the car. Looks as if it's time to redo the wiring. Peter, can I ask for a copy of the diagram and photo's? I'm not an auto electrician but I'll have a go if the instructions are clear!
PicassoPigeon
My Cars:

Post by PicassoPigeon »

Peter,
Please may i have a copy of this as well. Maybe it should be posted in the common problems & fixes.