Testing C5 Spheres with LHM

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

yoseff

Testing C5 Spheres with LHM

Post by yoseff »

I have a sphere tester that is currently loaded with LHM

I have some spheres that will be fitted on a C5

Do you think it could be an issue to test the pressure of those spheres with LHM? I don't think the residue that will be on the spheres can pose a problem , but what's your thoughts on that?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: Testing C5 Spheres with LHM

Post by GiveMeABreak »

No, the fluid is totally different (LDS is not a mineral based fluid, unlike LHM), so is not the same and you therefore risk contamination of the system....
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
yoseff

Post by yoseff »

Thanks , Marc. I had that idea too , but was hoping that the residue that it would be so little , that wouldn't pose any problem in a few liters of LDS.

Correct me if i'm wrong , but i from what i read around , i got the idea that LDS on LHM systems is less bad than LHM in LDS systems. (Some people seem to be using LDS on Xantias without problems , so i read)

My sphere tester is made with a main accumulator and a pressure pump from the LHM era. Hopefully LDS wouldn't damage those components?
What if i use LDS on the tester all the time , even to test Xantia spheres? Anyway , i need to change all fluid pretty soon with fresh LHM. Half a liter of a synthetic hydraulic fluid was added by previous owner... :oops:

I know that ideally should use only each one in each one , but changing fluid all the time on tester. to test spheres is a bit of a pain :D
cit-rotti
Donor 2024

Post by cit-rotti »

There is no new LDS tester from Citroen - the old LHM tester will continue to be used.
Although it is possible to operate the tester with LDS instead of LHM, it is not actually necessary because the fluid is completely pushed back in the case of balls that still have residual pressure and a few drops are completely unproblematic.

And if the membrane in the LDS ball is defective so that this LDS ball fills with LHM, it must be scrapped anyway.

Greetings Wolfgang
lcwin

Post by lcwin »

I does it all the time as I hv old LHM from my old car that is of no use when I pressure test sphere. When you remove the sphere the huge pressure inside will squeeze out most of the oiil. Most oil is actually a combination of different type of oils plastic and mineral additive to achieves the required characteristic needed for the task.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Despite the much vaunted LDS on the C5 the front strut return hoses, at least on the MK1, were the same as the Xantia, which was the same as the BX! So there should be no compatibility issues between the two. It's a bit like synthetic Vs mineral engine oil.

I'm also reasonably sure LHM would do in the EGS actuator, and it's good for bike disc brakes systems that use mineral oil😀
Richard W
yoseff

Post by yoseff »

I think Mark ir right on the "extreme" point that ideally we should not want any LHM contamination on LDS. It's however probably minimal, as before stated, almost all LHM will be put out by the pressure of the (good) sphere.
From what i've been reading , my thoughts gravitate to the side that it's less bad LDS on LHM than the opposite , so probably what will happen in the long run is that i will end adding LDS on the tester and will do all the testing with that LDS , even on the Xantia Spheres.
To make things a bit easier , any "contaminated" LHM will be less time on the system than would be the LDS , as on Xantias we must change Hydraulic fluid more often , and with the "natural" leaks , that will happen even more often. :-D I clearly remember that i used way more LHM in the past that i ever used LDS :D

By the way - does Hidrorinçage (If i well remember the name) still exist? I believe the activa could benefit from a run on it...