Strange sound coming from sphere/strut

This is the place for all your Diagnostic related questions or advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Dom_81

Strange sound coming from sphere/strut

Post by Dom_81 »

Bit of a strange one folks.
On a 4 poster, I lift the xantia up and pull it down, at the bottom of travel there is a knocking/popping sound which is quite distinct and audible. My mechanic said it could be felt through the sphere when touched. It can be heard and felt when driving, almost like a drop link type sound but its at the rear of the car (drivers side)
The car appears level on both sides and drives great. It makes the knocking sound over rough areas of road, not noticeable at higher speeds or over speed bumps.
Wheels aren't turning inward and no crunching sound or uneven tyre wear so I don't think its trail arm bearing, and car is level so unlikely to be the strut, thats my thinking anyway. The car did recently slam the Bumpstops or beyond, as the bumpstop is missing on that side now, or maybe was already gone. The road shelved steeply due to subsidence and the metal tow hitch at the rear is bent almost sideways as a result. Im wondering if maybe it could be hidden subframe damage or otherwise, the option in hoping is that something inside the sphere could be making that sound like the baffle if that's what its called.
Has anyone else encountered or experienced something like this. Any help gratefully recieved as always 🙏 🙂