Trivia Investigation Team

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re: Trivia Investigation Team

Post by CitroJim »

Robin, that's magic :D Love it!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Rp0thejester
Donor 2024

Post by Rp0thejester »

Big Trivia question...What idiot bought the FCF tax disc and didn't show it due respect by cleaning the inside of the windscreen first???
IMG_20230929_183139.jpg
Ryan

'99 Xsara 1.6 X (Red) with Sunkissed bonnet. T59 SBX
'54 Astra Estate 1.7DTI (Artic White)
'06 C8 2.2Hdi Exclusive (Aster Grey)

Champion of Where's CitroJim :-({|=
Yes I ask the stupid questions, because normally it is that simple.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Another trivia question, when does an 'underpass' become a tunnel?
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Rp0thejester
Donor 2024

Post by Rp0thejester »

When it comes to divorce lawyers?? Or is an underpass just under 1 road and a tunnel is under many roads?
Ryan

'99 Xsara 1.6 X (Red) with Sunkissed bonnet. T59 SBX
'54 Astra Estate 1.7DTI (Artic White)
'06 C8 2.2Hdi Exclusive (Aster Grey)

Champion of Where's CitroJim :-({|=
Yes I ask the stupid questions, because normally it is that simple.
bobins
Donor 2023

Post by bobins »

At a guess, I'd say an underpass becomes a tunnel when it's been bored or dug out of the virgin ground ?
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
deuchebleu

Post by deuchebleu »

As far as traffic management, required signage and evacuation procedures go,normally if it is over 300metres in length then it's classed as a tunnel otherwise it's an underpass and less onerous rules apply. Even with 'concrete canyons', i.e. cuttings, if they are over 300metres then the tunnel rules apply. It's largely to do with evacuating drivers and passengers in the event of a crash and subsequent fire.
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

The advantage of this particular video is that it is only a couple of minutes long. Many of the "Longest tunnel" type videos go on way past the casual viewer's attention span unless they are particularly interested.

One thing can be learned from this short film...it is indeed currently the longest rail tunnel in the World. Others will no doubt come along and take the crown. All to achieve the often pointless goal of getting from one place to another quicker. A tunnel from Austria to Italy is under construction which will be longer and in 2028 Innsbruck to Fortezza in Italy will go from from 80 minutes to just 25. As Shanai Twain once observed "That don't impress me much"! Can't even see any scenery out the train window in your 25 minutes as you travel.

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Trivia Investigation Team-Jim's Bricks

Jim's Bricks
CitroJim wrote: 14 Oct 2023, 05:43 Neil, we spotted these in the Cambridge Museum of Technology and thought of you :)

Brocross.com is the go-to site for named Bricks.

First up Buck
Co-incidentally just down the road from the "Worm" favoured lodging place of the dynamic duo/trio when venturing North is Low Fell, where another Brickmaker called Buck plied their trade there, and also in Gazzaland down at Dunston in the 19th C. The Cambridgeshire Buck, in the Brocross listing, contains much the same info as on the card in the cabinet at the Museum.

"Thomas Buck junior is listed as brickmaker at Stanley Road, Newmarket Road, Cambridge in Kelly's 1892, 96 & 04 editions & his works was operational between 1880 & 1912."

This is a brick from the Co.Durham Buck

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

There could be Trivia sprouting from this so this is the thread for it.
bobins wrote: 10 Nov 2023, 13:33
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 10 Nov 2023, 10:40
On the subject of distilled water a job I have never got round to finishing is to re-route the condensate drain pipework from the gas boiler following a freeze-up last winter. Over the summer it has just been dripping into an open water butt outside. Collects a fair quantity of what must effectively be distilled water. Obviously dripping into an open water butt it soon looses its purity but should I wish to collect some pristine distilled it wouldn't be too difficult to collect it in a 5L container :-D

Neil
OMG ! :shock: If you do that then your crops will fail, you'll be unlucky in love , your castle will crumble and pestilence will be upon you. Etc, etc.
In reality, boiler condensate isn't much use for anything as it can be quite (surprisingly) acidic and can have 'stuff' ( note the technical term there :-D ) dissolved in it.
There's me thinking it was just condensed pure water vapour from
CH4+2O2=CO2+2H2O
But Natural gas isn't pure Methane and Air is 80-ish percent Nitrogen.

Wonder how typical natural gas boiler condensed "water" from the products of burning natural gas compares to our Chinese tap water. :?:

Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 10 Nov 2023, 17:05, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Just to show what Robin says is correct, just look at the state of the bottom of your water butt Neil. I found this out when I had to allow my boiler to drain into a container for a few weeks.

It was pristine at the start but after a few weeks it was horrible and permanently stained... Definitely not the stuff for a cooling system...

I avoid freezing condensate pipes now by keeping mine entirely indoors. My boiler is in the attic and the condensate pipe now runs straight into the top of the stink-pipe...

LPG isn't very clean either... Next time you cut open a cylinder, just have a look at the amount of rubbish in there! Hence why car LPG systems have filters on them...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

CitroJim wrote: 10 Nov 2023, 15:04
I avoid freezing condensate pipes now by keeping mine entirely indoors. My boiler is in the attic and the condensate pipe now runs straight into the top of the stink-pipe...
Mine is similar. Boiler on the top floor and the condensate pipe runs into the stench pipe in the attic that vents at the roof ridge.
I've see a few frozen condensate pipes.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 10 Nov 2023, 14:08
Wonder how typical natural gas boiler condensed "water" from the products of burning natural gas compares to our Chinese tap water. :?:

Last time I was in Northumberland Neil, I found the water to be very agreeable, especially that just off the beach in Cresswell!
Jim

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

You wouldn't want to drink it or put it in your radiator though Jim!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

myglaren wrote: 10 Nov 2023, 17:20 You wouldn't want to drink it or put it in your radiator though Jim!
No, that would not be good Steve, my radiator is full of blood! And it's a bit salty too... The water, not my blood...
Jim

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

Been for blood tests today. Mine is overdue for servicing, going for a blood and filter change in March :)