Remember these.? All our yesterdays

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Re: Remember these.? All our yesterdays

Post by Gibbo2286 »

So now Jim's mentioned 'secret' I'll wander of subject a little further, for Neil, :wink:
My daughter back from the RAF in Berlin got a job at GCHQ, I bought in a white BMW 518, she "oh dad I like that." so I let her have it.
Barely five feet tall she was tucked away a bit, one day reading through signals received she got one saying "Observations to be made for a white driverless BMW travelling on the Golden Valley by-pass." :-D
Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new. (Albert Einstein)
bobins
Donor 2023

Post by bobins »

CitroJim wrote: 08 Oct 2023, 14:22
bobins wrote: 08 Oct 2023, 14:17
Presumably now at the irrecoverable stage :(

No, they're Creeds... They can be got going again ;) All you need is a selection of hammers, screwdrivers, a pair of adjustables and a quart of oil after giving them a bath in paraffin :)

Might need one of them as a spares donor though....

I have this lovely mental image of a slightly broken teleprinter being careful delivered to the electrical engineering department by a slightly concerned head of a section expecting the bods wearing lab coats to carefully examine it and tinker at it with jeweller's screwdrivers.

"Nah, Mate. Drop it in that bucket of paraffin and we'll have at it with the hammers and adjustables in a couple of days" :lol:
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I heard that somebody dropped a teleprinter out of the twelfth floor of an office block, where it landed on a Volvo. The Volvo was written off, but the electrical engineering department got the teleprinter working within an hour (15 minutes of that was for making the tea).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

bobins wrote: 08 Oct 2023, 14:17
CitroJim wrote: 08 Oct 2023, 13:44
It always used to amuse me when looking at classified documents with pages marked SECRET top and bottom and the only text on the page reading 'This page left intentionally blank'
Or as a mate used to write it 'This page left intentionally vague' :lol:

Reading through an insurance policy document in PDF format this morning I was delighted to see this :D
Screenshot 2023-10-10 10.13.20.png
bobins wrote: 08 Oct 2023, 14:17 Presuably you've just committed an offence under the OSA by revealing the contents of a secret document :rofl2:
Happily, as of Tuesday morning I'm still a free man and have not felt the long arm of the law descend upon my shoulder :) - yet ;)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Try shining an ultraviolet light on it. :wink:

Peter
bobins
Donor 2023

Post by bobins »

I thought you were supposed to use lemon juice and a candle. Is that where I've been going wrong ? 8-[ :shock:
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
MarcusMcGuinness
Donor 2023

Post by MarcusMcGuinness »

One of the first grown-up books I read as a young boy in the late 60s, was On Her Majesty's Secret Service, by Ian Fleming.

"There are hundreds of secret inks, but there was only one available to Bond, the oldest one in the world, his own urine. He went into the bathroom (what must the televising eye think of his digestive tracts?) with his pen, a clean nib, and his passport. Then he sat down and proceeded to transcribe, from the flimsy pieces of paper in his pocket on to a blank page of his passport, the names and approximate locations by county of the girls. The page showed nothing. Held in front of a flame, the writing would come up brown."
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Post by mickthemaverick »

I remember it well Marcus. Coincidentally the first grown up book I bought and read was Fleming's Live and Let Die. I bought it in the newsagent opposite our school gates, Luxton's, attracted by the bullet holes in the front cover.
As a result I was hooked on 007 and embarked on a lifetime of fanship. However I have only ever been a Fleming fan rather than a Bond fan so the more recent films not based on Fleming's work have not intrigued me at all.
Buying that book made a huge impact on the rest of my life but I wouldn't have believed it if someone had told me it would!! :-D
Last edited by mickthemaverick on 13 Oct 2023, 08:05, edited 1 time in total.
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I've tried to read one of John le Carr's 'Smiley' books, 'El honorable colegial.' but my Spanish isn't good enough. :-D so it sits here on my shelf.
Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new. (Albert Einstein)
MarcusMcGuinness
Donor 2023

mickthemaverick wrote: 13 Oct 2023, 07:49 I remember it well Marcus. Coincidentally the first grown up book I bought and read was Fleming's Live and Let Die. I bought it in the newsagent opposite our school gates, Luxton's, attracted by the bullet holes in the front cover.
That cover was something else! I remember we had quite a few of the Pan Books series at home, and none of the earlier ones from the 50's. Typographically, they were really emphasising the James Bond brand.

https://fontsinuse.com/uses/50074/james ... ks-1963-19

Mac
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Post by mickthemaverick »

I still have the full set including some duplicates and the later Robert Markham/Kingsley Amiss ones: :-D
MTMO
MTMO
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
MarcusMcGuinness
Donor 2023

Blimey!
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

MarcusMcGuinness wrote: 13 Oct 2023, 07:10 One of the first grown-up books I read as a young boy in the late 60s, was On Her Majesty's Secret Service, by Ian Fleming.

"There are hundreds of secret inks, but there was only one available to Bond, the oldest one in the world, his own urine. He went into the bathroom (what must the televising eye think of his digestive tracts?) with his pen, a clean nib, and his passport. Then he sat down and proceeded to transcribe, from the flimsy pieces of paper in his pocket on to a blank page of his passport, the names and approximate locations by county of the girls. The page showed nothing. Held in front of a flame, the writing would come up brown."
Nice thread debut Marcus, hope you become a regular contributor to the quirky and enjoyable little world of the many threads in FCF Off Topic Chat Section. I like a nice font/typeface and a bit of graphic word art. Several examples are scattered through the pages of the threads.

viewtopic.php?p=427389#p427389

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
MarcusMcGuinness
Donor 2023

Thank you, Neil,
Over the last few days I've binge-read All Our Yesterdays from the beginning. Very entertaining, very nostalgic.

Mac
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Neil, we spotted these in the Cambridge Museum of Technology and thought of you :)
20231013_150209.jpg
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...