The go faster fan mod

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tomsheppard
My Cars:

The go faster fan mod

Post by tomsheppard »

I have uploaded better pictures of the modified BX heater control on my site www.tomshep.co.uk. You will not be able to see them because my domain provider has spammed it with their advert and privides no way to the site. THANK YOU 123.COM, I'M SURE WE'LL ALL USE YOU AGAIN.
Jon

Post by Jon »

why don't you send me the pics and I'll upload them to andyspares or my space??
jack.dempsey
My Cars: BX TZD @ 250K miles (J reg),
Xantia TD @ 165K miles (R reg),
Xantia 2.1 TD (R reg)
and tow a caravan with them all (not at the same time)

Post by jack.dempsey »

Tom - I did the mod on my old 'duff' PCB (burned out carbon track) just for fun - couldn't resist hanging it into place and yes a nice healthy and unheard before 'click' of the relay and twelve juicy volts applied directly to heater fan hurrah! How did that fault get through quality control (was there any?). Sanity now slowly returning. What next? BX or Xantia problem - hmmmm not sure - watch this space.
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

My site now seems active again, Please feel free to use the images as you will, jon.
Jack, if you solder a 680 ohm resistor across the broken carbon, the board will work fully.
A few pence from Maplins or a friend who deals with 'tronics will surely be able to get you one fer nowt!
jack.dempsey
My Cars: BX TZD @ 250K miles (J reg),
Xantia TD @ 165K miles (R reg),
Xantia 2.1 TD (R reg)
and tow a caravan with them all (not at the same time)

Post by jack.dempsey »

Alas its not the carbon 680 ohm 'printed on' resistor that's gone, but a great crack and burn on the fatter end of the variable potentiometer track. My little 'wiper' emits a burning glow and a faint column of smoke when in this position on the track. I suspect that it was at this point when the transistor on the speed control 'took its bat home' and a current surge did what current surges do. Anyway I've got a new working (and as previously stated - correctly wired) PCB now - but it was good to experiment with the 'dicky' one.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Hi again [8D]
Sumitted a poll on the Swedish Citroen Akuten - and it showed up to be the same problem here [:D]
- odd really - is'nt it [?][8)]
BTW : got a suggestion from an experienced BX 16V DIY'er to use silver repair paint - instead of soldering.
The connection made is for driving the coil of the fan's fast speed relay - some 0.15Amp (150mAmp) - which the silver paint would easily handle.
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

how strange, but it explains a lot.
On the old BX, if i HELD the fan speed knob all the way clockwise there was a 'turbo boost' point, and the fan would be at full tilt! And i guess this is something to do with the reason. Maybe it was thought of as a demist setting but someone forgot about it after designing?
Off to get the soldering iron!
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

That's our Vanny! A hint of More Speed and he's off to get the soldering iron!