PSA all Aluminum engines - designations ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

AndersDK
My Cars:

PSA all Aluminum engines - designations ?

Post by AndersDK »

Is it possible to tell from the basic engine type designation - whether the engine is all alluminium - or cast iron block & alu head ????
I'm talking petrol engines - either 8V/16V - non turbo.
Has it anything to do with the XU9 / XU10 designations - or do these designations only refer to the basic cubic capacity ?
CITMAN
My Cars:

Post by CITMAN »

I think you can tell just by looking at the engine. An all alloy engine will look silvery in colour where as a cast iron motor will tend to be black. The XU6 1.6 XU9 1.9 are all alloy engines with wet cast iron liners. The XU10 2.0 has a cast iron block and a alloy cylinder head. The TU1 1.1 (1124cc), TU3 1.4 (1360cc) TU engines are all alloy, but some of the earlier 1.4s had a cast iron block, these are usually found in early pug 205s, 309s. The 1.6 TU engine has a cast iron block and alloy cylinder head which can be found in the saxo vtr.
cheesesliceking

Post by cheesesliceking »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by CITMAN</i>

I think you can tell just by looking at the engine. An all alloy engine will look silvery in colour where as a cast iron motor will tend to be black. The XU6 1.6 XU9 1.9 are all alloy engines with wet cast iron liners. The XU10 2.0 has a cast iron block and a alloy cylinder head. The TU1 1.1 (1124cc), TU3 1.4 (1360cc) TU engines are all alloy, but some of the earlier 1.4s had a cast iron block, these are usually found in early pug 205s, 309s. The 1.6 TU engine has a cast iron block and alloy cylinder head which can be found in the saxo vtr.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
The 1360cc AXGT is alloy Mk1 & 2, the 1360cc AX GTi Mk2 is Cast iron.. which is why the GTi is slower to 60 than the GT.. even though it has 15 more BHP..[:p]