Repairing a Hydractive Electrovalve...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Repairing a Hydractive Electrovalve...

Post by CitroJim »

One fatal problem with Hydractive Electrovalves is corrosion to the base of the alloy valve block that results in an LHM leak. They corrode because they're in contact with the steel sphere base and moisture causes electrolytic corrosion. The corrosion continues until the large hexagon at the base is sufficiently corroded to expose the green sealing O ring.

New valves are likely to be NFP soon and anyway, if they are available they are very expensive.

This is a typically corroded one, showing the green O ring just peeping out as pointed to by the arrow.

I have a lot of these and today I set about seeing if they could be recovered and made good again. I may have succeeded...

This is a really bad one where the hexagon has almost completely corroded away. This is the innards of the valve after the coil and shuttle, slug and springs have been removed.

First job was to machine off the corrosion until it was just gone.

Leaving a nice circle of clean metal...

The diameter of this circle was very carefully measured and a replacement ring machined from alloy bar stock. The outer diameter was set to that of the original hexagon (24mm) and the inner bored to just a tad under the diameter of the cleaned-up valve body...

The end result of the machining was a ring 4.5mm thick...

This was carefully fitted over the cleaned-up circle on the valve body...

The valve reassembled...

And installed onto a spare Hydractive Sphere Block...

And there it is, one electrovalve that should be good to go again. I'm looking for a guinea pig locally to try it on but before doing so I shall seal the new ring onto the valve body with some strong bearing retainer adhesive and treat it to some new O rings.

Any I do in future I'll make the new ring a heat-shrunk fit and I think then no adhesive will be needed.

It may not work but as the valve was scrap anyway it is worth a go...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Re: Repairing a Hydractive Electrovalve...

Post by citroenxm »

Was that the valve I gave you Jim that was completely gone.... If so, it came off a V reg Estate Exclusive!

Nice one... If I was closer, Id certainly stick it on one of my blocks to try out!
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

That is excellent Jim, if anyone could make a fix it was you :-D

You could have a little sideline going here!

I can guarantee that if I walked into my local Citroen dealer and said "My car is a Xantia, can I order a replacement hydractive electrovalve please?" they would just look puzzled and say "that part is no longer available". They would have made their mind up about this upon hearing the word Xantia ... :twisted:

Very good job indeed :-D
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

citroenxm wrote:Was that the valve I gave you Jim that was completely gone....
Yes, it was your valve Paul :-D Thanks for that, it was an excellent guinea pig for the repair test. I'd let you have it back but want to trial it on a car locally first for a few weeks to see if it is successful.

From a V reg car? :shock: Gosh, it looked like it had been under the sea for several hundred years...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
bxzx16v
My Cars: Past Frenchies , 4xBx16v,1xBxGti,1xBxTzd,2xZx Volcanes,1xZx reflex,1xPug 405mi16, 3x Xantia 1.9td's,1x Xantia activa, 2x Renault 25 V6 turbo, 1 Zx16v ,1 Pug 406 V6 coupe ,1x C8 , 1x Berlingo van , 1x Xanti 2.1td , 1x Renault Laguna 3

Post by bxzx16v »

The majority of Citroen dealers now are useless now , it's only those that have been agents for years who have a slight idea about the older stuff .

Mark
2009 Landrover Freelander 2 TD4se (killed an Audi) , sadly now gone .
2012 Landrover Freelander 2 SD4 AUTO Love it . Now gone .
2014 Ford Bmax 1.0 Ecoboost Zetec . Fantastic little machine .Gone now.
2014 Ford Focus 2.0 Tdci Zetec S with the French heart.
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

CitroJim wrote:
citroenxm wrote:Was that the valve I gave you Jim that was completely gone....
Yes, it was your valve Paul :-D Thanks for that, it was an excellent guinea pig for the repair test. I'd let you have it back but want to trial it on a car locally first for a few weeks to see if it is successful.

From a V reg car? :shock: Gosh, it looked like it had been under the sea for several hundred years...
Jim, Send it to me, Ill fit it to my car and try it!
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Citroenmad wrote: You could have a little sideline going here!
Maybe one day Chris but not right now. That one is a definite one-off until fully tested and then I'll be happy to advise anyone who wants to do the same how to do it in much more detail. You'd be amazed at how much work is involved, not only in the machining - which has to be done carefully and to tight tolerances - but in the disassembly of the valve, cleaning and reassembly. On and off it kept me amused all day today...
Jim

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

And Jim the resident magician!
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Looks like a nifty repair there, Jim.

What was the grade of alloy you used? It might be possible, if this repair works, to use a corrosion resistant grade of alloy to stop the electrolytic reaction or to get the alloy assembly anodized, prior to reassembly. There are also some high grade inhibitor coatings (paint) that might stave off the corrosion. Makes you wonder how much thought PSA give to some of the stuff they design and build. Its not as if cathodic reaction is something new! :shock:

I see you put the ML7 to good use. :yeah: =D> Mine now looks alot sadder than yours. Telling thing though is the most important object in the last photo. Was it still warm?

Handyman
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

handyman wrote: Telling thing though is the most important object in the last photo. Was it still warm?

Handyman
I was on duty, so yep :)
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim wrote: I'm a pink fairy
A 1/3 of Team WFA 'Clarkson'
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

handyman wrote:Was it still warm?
Yes, it was :-D That was a celebration one made by Chris570 following some success or another with his XM :lol:

I've no idea what the material was, it was just a scrap of alloy bar I had in in the useful bits of metal box. All I know it is hard and may be of aeronautical provenance... That was my last bit...

That's a tragedy loosing an ML7 :cry: I might not use it every day but by golly it's one of the most valuable tools I have. I'd be lost without it. Mine's a 1953 model and been in the family for three generations now. It's an heirloom :lol:

The only easy way I can think of corrosion proofing is to cover the base and block in something like Waxoyl but it would be critical to do it when everything is bone-dry and salt free otherwise the agents of corrosion just get trapped under a protective layer and can work unseen and unhindered...
Jim

handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Hi Jim, some of the inhibitors available in the marine industry will offer a solution to this corrosion problem. I#ll dog out some of the data sheets for them and post up. As I stated earlier, the part can be remade using one of the ali-bronze alloys, as used in the marine industry, as these provide excellent corrosion resistamce and are rated even for total immersion. :shock:

The replacement part is of a fairly simple form so is easy to recast and machine.

H
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

The original valve body material appears to be coated with something Handyman, not sure if it's anodising though. Certainly the underlying metal as exposed by the lathe was a different colour to the surface...

Yes, be most interested in any data on corrosion inhibitors you can find :-D Anything that can help prolong their lives is only for the good...
Jim

Diabolical
My Cars:

Post by Diabolical »

I'm fairly local to you Jim be happy to try it out.
06 C5 2.0L HDi Exclusive Estate 20020k and rising. :-)
1987 Citroen CX Prestige. De Corps Brun Maya - cuir blond tabac, très chic
08 Jaguar X-Type 3.0V6 Sovereign Estate - Green (HGZ) - Leather Ivory seats.

citroencx.co.uk
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

That's got to be galvanic corrosion - taking out the aluminium as 'sacraficial' annode. Just need to clag a bit of something more sacraficial onthe side of it to move the corrosion point - something like magnesium (which AFAIK is what they bolt to the bottom of ships - although buying a few kg lump of magnesium and trying to stick it to an electrovalve may be a bit tricky =D> ). Alternatively coat the whole thing in glass flake epoxy which is what they've just painted the Forth Rail Bridge in - good for 20+ years exposure to the elements.
Richard W