On Xantia Heater Matrix Elbows and Rad Sealants...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

On Xantia Heater Matrix Elbows and Rad Sealants...

Post by CitroJim »

This weekend we swapped the heater matrix is Xac's Cassy. The elbow connector was stuck so fast we broke it getting it free. It really, really was stuck very fast as even when broken it was very reluctant to part company...

Xac had formerly used K-Seal in the system and I believe I may be on to something here. A common factor, I believe, is that in all recent cases of broken elbows I've been involved with, a common factor has been the use of a rad sealant other than Forte Stop Leak..

I may be barking up the wrong tree here (or just barking) but theres a growing body of evidence in my mind to suggest these sealers weld the matrix connector together and make them almost impossible to separate.

I've used Forte on a leaky matrix and in that case the connector did come apart...

I'm no fan of K-Seal and it's ilk and even less so now...

Also, I'm reasonably sure now that all that happens to a Xantia matrix to make it leak is hard O rings on the inner flange; That was the case with Cassy's most definitely... Her rings were as hard as iron..

Next time it'll be worth really trying to just replace those O rings (they're a standard size) without disturbing the elbow. If it fails though, it'll be a sod give the dash will have to come all the way out again...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Re: On Xantia Heater Matrix Elbows and Rad Sealants...

Post by DickieG »

CitroJim wrote:Next time it'll be worth really trying to just replace those O rings (they're a standard size) without disturbing the elbow. If it fails though, it'll be a sod give the dash will have to come all the way out again...
Unless you test it by running the engine before you refit the dash, you can of course connect up the dials without refitting the whole dash.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Yes, that's a good thought Richard...

We need a guinea pig now.. I wonder how the matrix is on my soon to be arriving HDi?

Note: This is not an invitation for me to do anyone else's leaky matrix... I've done enough now to last me several lifetimes :evil: :evil: :evil:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

S2 matrix's are a little easyer to do I find, more with the dash removal...

Anyway... I am a STRICT non user of any sealer what so ever in any car system! If theres a leak it gets done as soon as and not put off!!

Its a COP out useing sealent..

Did you remember to split the heater box from the blower house on the middle?? Makes the job a bit easyer and is only two 10mm bolts.. top and bottom

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

CitroJim wrote:Yes, that's a good thought Richard...

We need a guinea pig now.. I wonder how the matrix is on my soon to be arriving HDi?

Note: This is not an invitation for me to do anyone else's leaky matrix... I've done enough now to last me several lifetimes :evil: :evil: :evil:
Well, we haven't done Jenny's yet...
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Xac wrote: Well, we haven't done Jenny's yet...
I tried to reply but the forum word censor was having none of it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jim

citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ill do it... ill do it..... they dont bother me!!! :D :D

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

citroenxm wrote: Did you remember to split the heater box from the blower house on the middle?? Makes the job a bit easyer and is only two 10mm bolts.. top and bottom
Oh yes :D :D :D :D Do it that way every time now Paul, it's a fantastic time saver and obviates removing the LHM reservoir. It *almost* makes the job a bit easier....
Jim

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Yes, the "rock hard O-rings" situation is common with PSA stuff! I have taken to using rubber grease on the connector elbows with their O-rings. Come apart again a real treat.

Is anyone selling just the connector yet?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

addo wrote: Is anyone selling just the connector yet?
Not as far as I know but I'm sure there's a market for such a device, just as there is for Mk2 Xantia window clips which, fortunately, are being manufactured by a third party...
Jim

lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Well I have a slight curry smell in this MK 11 V6. Got a whiff about 4 wks ago and put Forte in it. It still smells when heat put on for first minute.

I aint doing no matrix now . I think every Xantia at 12 yrs old has duff matrix or rings
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
Dommo
My Cars: Current
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
91 Toyota Soarer UZZ32 Active Suspension
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Post by Dommo »

lexi wrote:Well I have a slight curry smell in this MK 11 V6. Got a whiff about 4 wks ago and put Forte in it. It still smells when heat put on for first minute.
Mine does this and has done for the past 13 months, not put any sealant in although a previous owner may have, I don't imagine you'd know until you do a job such as this. I need to get it done one of these days but don't fancy it at all!
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Eventually you'll get mist coming out the vents and even having the a/c on won't stop the windscrean from fogging up.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

lexi wrote:I think every Xantia at 12 yrs old has duff matrix or rings
Oi!! :lol: :lol:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Eventually you'll get mist coming out the vents and even having the a/c on won't stop the windscrean from fogging up.
Cheer us up why don't ya :lol: Sounded like something from a John Carpenter movie there...........maybe The Fog :shock:
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2