Electrovalve internals

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Electrovalve internals

Post by Stempy »

Just back from a thousand mile round trip to 'oop north' and glad to report that the Xant performed faultlessly ( well, apart from the faults I already knew about ) :roll:

One of which concerns the rear electrovalve. The problem I have is that if I open a door or the hatch without the engine running the rear will quickly sink, i.e. when the valve is activated into soft mode any pressure in the rear system is quickly lost and the rear collapses. My question is, with the valve in soft mode and the engine not running could an internal leak in the electrovalve cause this to happen?
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

ah ha, i wasnt the only one!!!!

this happened on the front of mine, i suspected either a ruptured centre sphere or as you suggest a heavy internal leak of the valve causing it to lose all the pressure behind the valve so when actuated all the pressure rushes to equalise dropping the car down an inch or so.....

mine had a sticking height corrector so i took it to martin at pleadies (sp) to have the work done and while it was there ALL sphere pressures were checked and all came up good. As we were running out of time he reassembled it with a new height corrector and since then all has been well...

so if you have a sticky height corrector it might possibly be the same cause.

I can't explain hydraulically why this would happen but it certainly cured mine (4000 miles now and all is well)
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim wrote: I'm a pink fairy
A 1/3 of Team WFA 'Clarkson'
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

The electrovalve will pass LHM if the small spring is weak.

In the picture below the small spring is on the right of the central spindle. This small spring becomes compressed and weak but, the valve needs it to push the spindle forwards in soft mode to press the sharp end of the spindle into the LHM return port.

What you need to do is open up the electrovalve and stretch the small spring. Or, find another suitable spring.

Cheers, Kev

02 plate C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive SE (now 170k miles 03/21).

Used to have:- Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX. 1996 Blue & 1998 Silver Activa. + 1992 BX TZD Turbo.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Are these the same valves as used in the XM?
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

Peter.N. wrote:Are these the same valves as used in the XM?
Yes.
Stempy
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Well that could explain something as the one causing the problem is actually from an XM.

Lexia ponce

Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Ah, useful, thanks for that.
Dommo
My Cars: Current
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
91 Toyota Soarer UZZ32 Active Suspension
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Post by Dommo »

I thought xm and Xantia electrovalves had the same part numbers?

As an aside I found that activa and hydractive electrovalves looked and seem very similar, but have different part numbers.
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

The Activa and centre electrovalves work in opposite ways.

The centre valves are energised to connect the centre sphere to the system for soft mode and de energised to isolate it to stiffen.

The Activa sphere is connected when the valve is de energised and isolated when the valve is energised.

The activa sphere is normally connected to soften the effective anti roll bar. It is isolated by switching the electrovalve to isolate the Activa sphere when cornering and so stiffening the roll bar.
Cheers, Kev

Used to have:- Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX. 1996 Blue & 1998 Silver Activa. + 1992 BX TZD Turbo.
Dommo
My Cars: Current
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
91 Toyota Soarer UZZ32 Active Suspension
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Post by Dommo »

KevMayer wrote:The Activa and centre electrovalves work in opposite ways.

The centre valves are energised to connect the centre sphere to the system for soft mode and de energised to isolate it to stiffen.

The Activa sphere is connected when the valve is de energised and isolated when the valve is energised.

The activa sphere is normally connected to soften the effective anti roll bar. It is isolated by switching the electrovalve to isolate the Activa sphere when cornering and so stiffening the roll bar.
Yeah I understood how it works from when I took mine apart. My activa electrovalve was an XM electrovalve, but with the sprung parts from the Activa electrovalve, however as far as I could tell they were almost identical!
Stempy
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

KevMayer wrote:The electrovalve will pass LHM if the small spring is weak.

In the picture below the small spring is on the right of the central spindle. This small spring becomes compressed and weak but, the valve needs it to push the spindle forwards in soft mode to press the sharp end of the spindle into the LHM return port.

What you need to do is open up the electrovalve and stretch the small spring. Or, find another suitable spring.

So, if I've got this right, the big spring keeps the valve closed when it is in hard mode and not activated and the small spring keeps the valve open when in soft mode and the valve is activated, the open spring is small as it has the assistance of the field coil to keep it open.[/i]

Lexia ponce

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Yes, that is absolutely correct Stempy, in soft (open) the valve is kept open by a combination of the solenoid and hydraulic pressure.

If the pressure is low, the solenoid on its own is not enough to operate it, hence if the main pressure is low, the valve might not operate properly.

You can hear this in action. With good hydraulic pressure the click at the beginning and end of soft mode is very strong and loud. If you operate the valves with no hydraulic pressure the clicks are soft and quiet.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

The small spring, I'm pretty sure, is important to push the spindle forward in soft mode so it seats in the leak off port to stop LHM leaving via this port.

I've found that if you give the small spring a stretch, so its about 50% longer when relaxed, that this improves the plugging action.
Cheers, Kev