Adapter for steeringwheel radio controls

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Krede
My Cars:

Adapter for steeringwheel radio controls

Post by Krede »

I want to replace the Blaupunkt CD player in man Xantia, with a Panasonic something or other that I brought back from Kosovo a couple of years ago as it has DVD capability and thus hold 4 gb of music on one disk instead of me having the already small glove compartment filled to the brim with cd's.!

I purchased an adaptor off ebay.. on a rather enthusiastic note that it might actually be that easy... I was, of cause, wrong.

Since the Blaupunkt is the original fitted in the factory, the wires from the steering wheel control are some tiny sockets that wont fit in the adaptor for the blaupunkt...

Does a SECOND adaptor exist that will make the Blaupunkt sockets fit in the Panasonic socket ?

Alternatively, any recommendations on a Blaupunkt stereo that has dvd, or usb capability and will take the original steering wheel sockets?
Xantia 2.0 Hdi , Talbot Matra Murena 2.2(fuel injected ;) )
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

I looked into this when I got a Sony Bluetooth MP3 head unit.
What I found was it depends on the head unit if it can actually be controlled by remote buttons.
If it can, then you're luckier than me (being a DVD unit I'd imagine it can be done), and you'll just need to find the right Xantia-Panasonic adaptor.

The Xantia has ISO connectors, or at least two of the connectors are, and they both fitted the back of my radio. The third I would imagine is for the remote.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Krede
My Cars:

Post by Krede »

The third I would imagine is for the remote
Exactly!.. and its the third that gives me a headache :(...

From the looks of it, the adaptor could work if I had the Blaupunkt/panasonic adaptor for remote.

However... I went with this one because it was cheap...from the looks of it, i could spend nearly as much on adaptors, as a new or good used stereo would cost me ..
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

There is someone on ebay doing adaptors for XM's so I would think they would also have them for Xantia's
Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Post by Ross_K »

In order to use a Panasonic head unit with Xantia steering wheel controls you need:

1 x Autoleads PC99-PAN patch lead
1 x Autoleads PC99-X09 interface cable (the new type which accepts the modular patch leads)

You plug the connector coming from the steering wheel into the PC99-X09, and run the PC99-PAN from the PC99-X09 into the back of your Panasonic head unit.
Panasonic head units must have a bullet connector labelled as steering remote on the head unit to be and must be specified as Steering Remote control Ready to be compatible. Again none of the PC99-X## leads will interface with the cars display.

When using the new PC99 X** range of car steering interface leads, you will also require PC99-PAN to interface with the head unit.
Installation Advice > Steering Control Interface Adaptors PC99-PAN

For the PC99 range of Steering control leads, we offer the dedicated head unit adaptors such as PC99-PAN. These have to be installed in a set order to ensure the head unit recognises the new leads are attached.

Please follow this routine when installing PC99 leads.

Instructions for installation

This patch lead covers both Panasonic language types, so therefore has additional wires to enable the switch between either. The Green/Yellow is the main data wire and links to the remote wire of the stereo (currently Brown/Black). The two orange wires are the alternative commands, please follow the instructions below;

1. Plug the PC99-PAN to the 12 way socket on the vehicle specific remote interface, leaving the two orange wires disconnected

2. Plug the vehicle specific interface to the vehicle

3. Connect the ISO blocks and the Antenna to the Stereo, and the data wire to the stereo.

4. Switch the ignition to accessory position, power up the stereo and check remotes.

IF REMOTES DO NOT RESPOND, CONTINUE WITH THE FOLLOWING;

5. Disconnect interface from the vehicle to remove power from both the harness and the stereo.

6. Link the two orange wires to make a loop, reconnect interface to the vehicle

7. Switch the ignition to accessory position, power up the stereo and check remotes.

This system seems to be needed on new (2005) Panasonic systems. Due to the higher technology employed in these units, they operate more like computers then audio systems, so the addition equipment such as CD Changers, Auxilliary inputs and Steering remote control devices, need to be 'found' by the system after it has been awoken as just a stereo. Future instructions supplied with the leads will cover this.
ImageImage
Krede
My Cars:

Post by Krede »

Thanks for the advise Ross..
Upon removing the Blaupunkt unit I found some connectors like this no : http://www.thebassbin.co.uk/product.php?id=2192

Im quite certain that the autoleads "pan" will not connect to these .

Am I right in assuming that i would have to plug the autoleads adaptor straight on to the socket at the steering wheel then?
Ross_K
2004 Toyota Prius

Post by Ross_K »

Krede wrote:Am I right in assuming that i would have to plug the autoleads adaptor straight on to the socket at the steering wheel then?
Yes.

I take it the Blaupunkt with the square-ish connector is an aftermarket unit?

The standard remote connector should look kind of like a stretched ISO connector.
ImageImage
Krede
My Cars:

Post by Krede »

I take it the Blaupunkt with the square-ish connector is an aftermarket unit?
NO!.. and that's my point. The Blaupunkt was factory fitted. The "square-ish" connector is what's there when I remove the radio. So I wonder if these are fitted directly to the steering wheel radio controls, or if it plugs into an "iso" connector somewhere along the way = Xantias fitted with a blaupunkt radio at the factory has blaupunkt remote connectors instead of Iso one. :?
Ross_K
2004 Toyota Prius

Post by Ross_K »

Very strange. What's the model number of the Blaupunkt?

Maybe it's not factory fitted but has been installed by the Danish importer/distributor?

In some countries with high import duties on cars, like Ireland, some importers would bring the car into the country without certain accessories (like a radio) in order to reduce the value in the eyes of customs. Once the duty was paid the dealer would install a locally sourced radio...

The lower radio in this picture has the type of remote connector I would expect to see in a Xantia. From what you're saying, you have the type of remote connector seen on the radio at the top... You sure there's no adapter cable behind the dash already?

ImageImage
Krede
My Cars:

Post by Krede »

you have the type of remote connector seen on the radio at the top...
Yep!.
And like you like you say in your previous post.. I I have had a socket like on the lower radio, I would have no problems connecting my adaptor and new radio to my car.
Maybe it's not factory fitted but has been installed by the Danish importer/distributor?
I won't dismiss this... but It comes with some very "citroen'ish" users handbook... in the same style and colour as the one for the car itself...
You sure there's no adapter cable behind the dash already?
I'd say I had a fairly good look before refitting the radio... but 100% sure...no... :)
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

I am confused on one point...

Krede's sig says that he has an HDI, which I think must be a Mk2 Xantia, but I thought that Blaupunkt stereos were only factory fitted to the Mk1 Xantia, and Clarion Stereos fitted to the Mk2.

How does this fit the situation?
Krede
My Cars:

Post by Krede »

Yep its an X2.. I don't think the X1 ever came with the Hdi.

I'm 99,9% sure that the Blaupunkt is factory fitted...as the handbook for it has a citroen label on it.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Any chance you can upload a photo of it Krede?
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Krede
My Cars:

Post by Krede »

Hand book? or the Radio itself?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Krede wrote:Hand book? or the Radio itself?
Both!! The S2 Clarion Radio has "Xantia" written on the cassette flap as far as I recall whewreas the S1 Blaupunkt has "Citroen" written in the same place.

Both come with Handbooks in the same style as the main handbook.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...