Blower Transistor Replacement Guide In Pictures

Yes, place your time and money saving tips here.Nothing illegal or dangerous please!Motoring related only please.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Blower Transistor Replacement Guide In Pictures

Post by CitroJim »

I've just replaced a set of Xantia Blower Transistors and took a few pictures.

Here is how to do the job:

1. Clamp the module into a vice and using a 6.5mm drill in a hand drill, drill out the rivets holding the transistors.

2. Drift out the old rivets carefully.

3. Desolder the base and emitter pins using a good solder sucker until the eyelets look clear of solder.

4. Using a pair of needle-nosed pliers, wiggle the pins to break any last solder still holding the pins to the eyelets. The transistors will soon start to wobble, showing they're ready to come out.

5. Remove the transistors. Carefully lever up the board adjacent to where it is held on little pillars near the edges. This is an interference fit so be careful.

6. Lift the board up and away, being very careful not to disturb the annular resistor shown at the tip of the screwdriver.

7. Give the board a clean using a gentle solvent (Electrolube ULS or similar), paying attention to the solder pads that connect to the transistor collectors and bear on the pillars through which the transistor fixing rivets pass through. Clean the pillars on the heatsink. Replace the board on the heatsink.

8. Smear just enough heatsink compound onto the new transistors to apply a thin even film all over. Don't use too much! Insert the transistors. I used a bit too much here :oops:

9. Replace the rivets with M3.5 bolts and nuts trimmed off to be just long enough. Use pan-head bolts and place the heads on the circuit board side. Tighten moderately to ensure a good collector connection as this is formed through the heatsink pillars and the pads on the underside of the board.

10. Solder the new transistors in. This must be done after tightening the screws to avoid setting up any stresses. Don't use too much solder as it may run down the emitter and base pins and a blob may cause a short against the heatsink. Make sure these joints are good as 10A or so can flow down the emitter pin.

11. Job done!

Last edited by CitroJim on 30 Jun 2017, 13:57, edited 1 time in total.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
slim123

Post by slim123 »

Nice piccys Jim.

May come in use soon as our old banger, the Xantia estate, today decided to throw a wobbly, the fan refused to work, I fiddled with the wires and it worked fine till we switched off. On return it diddnt work again, now it goes when it feels like it.

I may take the easy option and remove one from the scrappys for a quick fix, but I may also fix the old one for a spare, as I will never sell the car as it aint worth anything and it's too usefull / reliable.

As for the resistors, can they be found in any electrical place or are they a special order???

I couldn't help but notice the vice, Did Noah use that one to build the ark with???

Regards
Slim.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Slim,

Your problem is luckily more likely to be with your ignition switch. The transistors fail short-circuit usually and cause the fan to run at top-speed uncontrollably causing a howling gale in the cabin :lol:

Have a look here at an excellent post by Simon (Mandrake). It encompasses just about everything on the subject :D

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... ion+switch

The transistors are only available from Farnell Electronics and they have a minimum order policy which makes buying a pair uneconomic. They are currently getting rid of the last 50 or so non-RoHS compliant MJ11015s they have and I'm considering buying in bulk to supply the forum. I have plenty of enquiries from here.

That vice is a great tool. It has been in the family for donkeys years and is an old Blacksmiths/Farriers vice. It was my Grandfathers. It is incredibly useful and will hold a complete Xantia hub for balljoint changes and suppport a 205 rear beam. It is bigger than it looks in the pictures...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
ed4ferrets
My Cars:

Re: Blower Transistor Replacement Guide In Pictures

Post by ed4ferrets »

Ooops I seem to have one of the eyelets still attached to a transistor pin after removing the old transistor :oops: does this mean the pcb is fubar?
Ed

'63 Renault Caravelle - stored
'99 Xantia 1.9TD Estate - matrix done:))
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

ed4ferrets wrote:Ooops I seem to have one of the eyelets still attached to a transistor pin after removing the old transistor :oops: does this mean the pcb is fubar?
No, not quite. It can be fixed with a bit of ingenuity Ed...
Jim

p2lexy

Post by p2lexy »

RS have them
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/darlingto ... s/6881502/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;