Compression Test Peugeot / Citroen 1.1 (TU1 Engine).

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

alanshep

Compression Test Peugeot / Citroen 1.1 (TU1 Engine).

Post by alanshep »

I hope nobody minds - the car is actually a Peugeot 205 (H reg) - but I think I'll get more replies on the Citroen site and I believe this same engine is used in some Citroens.

This car has been sat on my drive for about 2 years and I thought it was about time I did something with it. Got it started OK at the weekend but it seems very smokey, particulalrly when I blip the throttle.

Out of interest I did a compression test on the engine tonight. I let the engine warm up and then used a borrowed "Gunson Hi Gauge" on it. All 4 cylinders gave similar results which were that the gauge jumped to 8 then 10 then 12 Bar on the first 3 strokes respectively. All cylinders eventually settled at about 13 Bar after 5 or 6 strokes.

I tried pouring a small amount of oil into cylinder number 1 and repeated the test. The gauge reached a higher final value of around 15 Bar but did it in a similar number of steps.

Does anybody have a feel as to whether or these results ar OK? I took some comfort from the fact the all cyclinders behaved almost identically.

If this is OK then any ideas as to what would be causing it to smoke?

Thanks.

Alan.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Thats a perfect 100% jing-a-ling good as new compression test :D

After 2 years no jobbing - I'd say any engine will need a good workout. First call is to replace the engine oil and filter.
Its that important - that you are NOT allowed any more questions here - before you confirm this done :shock:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
alanshep

Post by alanshep »

Hello Anders.

I replaced the oil and oil filter as soon as I managed to get it started. Still using the old air filter though. Since I got the car running it's only really been ticking over on the drive.

When I took the plugs out to do the compression test they were very black (sooty). Also when I took the compression tester out after each test there was a little oil on the end of it on a couple of cylinders.

From what I rememeber when I last used the car it used to smoke a little at first start up but then clear. It did use a little oil but it wasn't excessive. I remember thinking back then that maybe the valve stem oil seals might need replacing. (I'm far from an expert though).

I'm really thnking of taking the car for an MOT just to find out whether it's economic to proceed (it definitely needs 2 tyres and at least 1 CV boot and maybe some brake pipe). I'm reluctant to take it out for a good thrash in its present state but I could do this on the way to the MOT station.

I guess if the compression test is good then the engine should be serviceable and the smoking can hopefully be cured without major expense?

Thanks.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

OK -

Yes it definately sounds like the valve stem seals. Likely the only problem as the compression tested that good.
I think it would be a waste of MOT fee - as it will fail the emissions test on too much oil (HC content) no doubt. Also if you know its got a corroded brake pipe - this will be a sure MOT fail.

Depends what your aim is with the MOT test. Would be good for the sales value knowing excatly which MOT issues the car has. Still a 205 1.1 is a cheap & economical daily runner to maintain and drive ...
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Change the air filter, once its done its done.

If you know its going to fail on things then get the things sorted before wasting money on a test. There about £45 arent they? Not that cheap!

And also the brake pipe if its a sure failure.
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(