Activa Ram - Low pressure LHM leak - which sealant

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

KevMayer
My Cars:

Activa Ram - Low pressure LHM leak - which sealant

Post by KevMayer »

I have a drip of LHM from the front ram on my Activa.

The leak is from the low pressure return pipe. There isn't much pressure and someone has previously coated it with a brown silicone type of sealant which has been working ok.

I recently took the ram off to investigate a suspenson noise. It had started to weep LHM through this brown sealant, so I took the sealant off and cleaned the area.

I found that the low pressure connection pipe on the ram has a split in it at the base. So, I carefully put it back together and coated it with a decent car body type of silicone sealant.

It didn't last long and now I have a nasty LHM drip. I think the LHM has disolved the sealant. So, does anyone know what the previous brown sealant was.

The brown stuff must have been oil resistant.

I have two options:-

one - Find the brown sealant and use it on the ram

two - Buy a new ram (expensive option)

thanks for any help

cheers, Kev
Cheers, Kev

02 plate C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive SE (now 170k miles 03/21).

Used to have:- Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX. 1996 Blue & 1998 Silver Activa. + 1992 BX TZD Turbo.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

This subject has come up before and in essence I think it came out that the return on this Activa ram is rather like a BX strut return pipe in that its a rubber square collector fitting over a hole in the casing and strapped on with a metal band.

The rubber bit for the BX strut is available separately. Its different in that it has 2 pipes coming out of a common chamber, but I suppose could be adapted by blocking off one of the tubes. It may be that your xantia has something similar on its front strut with a single pipe coming out of it.

You may be able to find the original thread on here.
jeremy
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

The brown sealant was probably an acrylic based sealant, which is generally petrol, diesel, oil and (crucially) LHM proof.

Silicon (as you've proven) isn't.
This is not a signature.
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

This is a picture of a new front ram. The low pressure return pipe is the one sticking out on the left. It has a temporary plug in it in the picture. A small bore plastic pipe is plugged into it when fitted.

My ram has a split in the low pressure pipe at the base where it connects to the ram body.
Cheers, Kev

Used to have:- Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX. 1996 Blue & 1998 Silver Activa. + 1992 BX TZD Turbo.
oscarloco
My Cars:

Post by oscarloco »

Have you tried Epoxy?
Oscar Lopez
'94 ZX 2.0 8v petrol (restoration to its former glory on its way after being neglected by stupid Ex)
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Sorry - its not what I thought it was.

Is the pipe attached to the gaiter? You may be able to get a new gaiter. The Citroen PR net will probably show a diagram with the appropriate part numbers.
jeremy
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Its definately not a return pipe. Its a leak-off pipe that returns the smallish seeping past the ram's working seal. Supposed to seep for lubing the seal and ram cylinder rod surface.

Citroen's PR-net does not show the rubber boot as a spare part. Me thinks it could be worth a phonecall to your Citroen dealer anyway. It can NOT possibly be the first time they have heard of this problem.
If they insist on a new ram to get the new boot - then you know the answer :evil:

1) gauge the diameter of the surface where the boot has to fit with the leak-off stud
2) gauge the width of the recess where the boot is fixed with its stud

- then I'm pretty sure we at least can find a useable rubber boot from the selection of suspension cylinder boots.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Brown Sealant ! It's called Heldite.

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Hi KevMayer.

The brown sealant you are refering to would seem to be this product.
I have also used this product to good effect in various automotive applications.

Here's a description of it.

Adhesion: High factor for adhesion to metallic surfaces.

Appearances: Brown viscous liquid free from lumps and abrasive material.

Chemical Characteristic: Inert and non-abrasive.

Resistance to Acids: 18 percent Hydrochloirc, 5 percent Sulphuric.

Specification: Commercial specification 68 – 145/I

Specific Gravity: 0.9653 at 20 degrees centigrade.

Spreading Capacity: 70 square feet (6 square metres) per 500ml tin.

Temperature Range: -40 degrees - +350 degrees centigrade.

Viscosity: 3.42 poises at 23 degrees centigrade.

Here's a picture of the product.

A independent specification of it's capabilities can be seen on this link http://delcoheldite.com/

Apparently Heldite was originally formulated, and developed for the aircraft industry.

The details of the product are listed here http://www.heldite.com/html/home.html technical information is listed here http://www.heldite.com/html/technical_info.html and the contact details are here http://www.heldite.com/html/contact_us.html where they should be able to give you details of a supplier local to you.

Although if you want to get it on line then this company can supply it.
http://www.old20.com/cgi-bin/psProdCat. ... 4,category,

I hope this information is useful, and of assistance to you in attending to your leak. :D
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Not sure if it's physically viable in this case, but self-amalgamating tape is excellent for this sort of job. I'd use it over the joint once it's fixed with sealant, as an extra seal and to prevent over-flexing in the repaired area.
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

Thank you all for your replies.

ACTIVE8 - that info looks really useful. Maybe just what I need. In fact, it could be a useful addition to the collection of useful hints and tips.

I'll go down the line of getting some Heldite.

I'll let you know what happens.

cheers,

Kev

ps. I've looked up the link to the 'OLD 20 PARTS CO' and it's near where I work, so I'll give them a ring and pop around for some Heldite at £4.11 for a 125 ml tin including application brush.
Cheers, Kev

Rostami
My Cars:

Post by Rostami »

I recently saw pictures of the exact same problem you had on a french activa forum. They used a white substance, not sure what it was, but it secured the leak. I will post the links tomorrow!

well the future is NOW so here are the links. Hope they help.

http://membres.lycos.fr/ci6web/auto/act ... G_7025.jpg

http://membres.lycos.fr/ci6web/auto/act ... G_7032.jpg

http://membres.lycos.fr/ci6web/auto/act ... G_7051.jpg

I have no ideia what the white stuff is, but they use some black tape to hold everything in place...looks liike black magic.

I will investigate further :)
Xantia Activa 2.0 HDi (1999)
Renault Clio 1.9D (1994)
BX 16TRS (1984) - RIP
Fiat Uno 45s (1987) - RIP
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

Rostami - The pics look just like my ram. I have a split in exactly the same place as that shown on the first pic.

The leak off pipe isn't attached to the gaiter as some of you had guessed. The gaiter can be pulled up the ram to reveal the inner shaft. The leak off pipe is attached to a kind of 'O' ring which sits in a groove around the body of the ram.
Cheers, Kev

ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Pleased to be able to help ! :-)

Post by ACTIVE8 »

KevMayer

Thanks for your reply. I am very pleased that the information has been of use to you, and that the supplier mentioned is near to you.

It would be interesting to hear about how you got on with the repair.

I had already included the information about Heldite in the useful links section of the forum, straight after my previous reply to your thread.
This has also been linked to the thread here, and should enable others to find it more easily, and read about it.

So, if anyone has a problem that this really useful product can fix they should be able to find it, without having to search through the very busy Citroen section.
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

First the good news.--- I've purchased a 125 ml tin of Heldite. Including VAT it cost £5.29.

The bad news --- I took my front ram off, stripped away the silicone sealant and the cracked pipe came off altogether.

On close inspection, there are multiple cracks in the rubber. It has simply aged too much, gone brittle and cracked up.

Unless I can fabricate something to replace the pipe my only solution appears to be to buy a new ram #-o .

cheers, Kev
Cheers, Kev

macaroni
My Cars:

Post by macaroni »

I had this problem on mine and there is no replacement for that pipe, a new ram was the only solution.

They cost about £200 from Citroen, if you get it on the standard delivery and about £100 to fit at a decent independent.