Same Xant new woe

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rossnunn
My Cars:

Same Xant new woe

Post by rossnunn »

Xantia has started to bring up a STOP light & water temp light at the same time. At fist I thought it was over heating so started to dump heat into the cabin, but the temp gauge itself was reading dead level at 80 degrees (I think) So then I thought maybe the thermostat but the cabin wouldn't be getting hot would it? Maybe its just a loose wire?
I have checked both water & oil both OK.

Any Ideas?
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Usually due to poor connections in the temperature sensing/fan control circuitry or bitron connections/fault. Look up strings under 'bitron' you should find some info. Mine does the same, intermittently, but never long enough to trace it!
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

ok thanks I'll go do one searching later Cheers 8)
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Very common fault, caused by sensor wire/sensor plug intermittency.
Do the cooling fans spin at the high speed ?
Is it a diesel ?
Does it have air conditioning ?
Knowing of 'Bitron' in it ?
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
stevieb

Post by stevieb »

My 405 used to do it.

I just pulled the plug from the Bitron sensor on the thermostat housing, cleaned the terminals, and reconnected. This fixed it for a good six months.

The problem always showed up when the weather had been particularly wet. I don't know whether it was damp getting in this connector, or water getting into the relays in front of the radiator, and causing problems. Either way, cleaning up this connector sorted it every time.
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

right ho, fans do run alot more than they used to.
Came back from a 10 mile trip & they were running for a good 15 20 mins after I parked up, I almost went to disconnect the battery :lol:
It doesn't have aircon.
So to save me searching where is the Bitron connector??

Cheers
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

My '97 Xantia has done this sort of thing, as mentioned above cleaning the sensor terminal sorted it out. Its the brown plug on the thermostat housing.

What engine do you have? I didn't think non-air-con models were bitron equipped, at least my '94 isn't. The '94 has a "normal" radiator fitted fan switch and non of the bitron nonsense.
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

Hi its a N reg (96) 1.8 16v & unlike some reports, goes like stink, I'll have to fix the van cos I'm going to get nicked driving it! lol
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Since it hasn't got air conditioning, it hasn't got Bitron either, which is very helpful, and then it goes as per Kowalski's post.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Clogzz wrote:Since it hasn't got air conditioning, it hasn't got Bitron either, which is very helpful, and then it goes as per Kowalski's post.
My post might not be as helpful as it appears, he's got one of them there petrol cars...

I'm not sure whether non-aircon petrols cars get the bitron unit anyway, just for bad measure, some of the newer non-aircon cars seem to, I'm not sure whether thats connected to the facelift or not. The Haynes BOL might shed more light on the issue (or just confuse it completely).

I'm not even sure where the brown plug lives on the petrol models that have bitrons.
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Yes, things are getting more complicated.
There's even the cars with 2 Bitrons.
Bitron makes control boxes for several things.
I think that the Peugeot 306 convertible has a Bitron to operate the motorised roof.

The brown plug is at the back of the thermostat housing on the 2 litre petrol engine, along with 2 other temperature sensors.
It is impossible to see, or even reach them.
It must be there on the 1.8 16V engine too, probably even more inaccessible, because of the bigger head.

There aren't many passenger cars with diesel engines here, because the tax regime doesn't favour them.
Diesel fuel is a bit more expensive than petrol, and is used in some commercial vehicles, and all lorries.