Change those ZX Subframe Mounts

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Change those ZX Subframe Mounts

Post by RichardW »

I spent a good part of last weekend changing the subframe mounts in our ZX. Although it's only done 70k, it's 94M, and there was plenty of clonking from the rear. I drove it a short distance last weekend to check all was OK, and noted no more clonking :) However, I drove it today for about 10 miles along a twisty road. Wow. :D Before it went round corners pretty well, now it goes round like it's on a 3D roller coaster track! Where before it would squirm about at the rear if you hit a bump mid corner, now it just hangs on. And invites you drive it harder :twisted: So, to anyone with a clonking rear, break the jack out and get the new mounts in. You won't be disappointed!

I followed Jon and Dave's excellent post in the Common problems and fixes. Just a couple of points to add. You need to undo both of the front bolts :oops: - but don't take them out at the same time or the subframe will fall in half (I realised that in time...!). You need plenty of height to get enough room to get the front mounts out, so jack it up far enough the first time :oops: You also need a deep 16mm socket to get the top nuts off the mounts, and a deep 21mm socket to get the bottom damper mounts off - both are spark plug sizes, that fortunately grace my tool kit. I took the opportunity to wire brush and copper slip the top damper mounts as well whilst the frame was down - should make it easier if I have to change the dampers some time. I also removed the back box completely - this makes plenty of room to get to the mounts - you can do it without, but even if you have to sacrifice the clamp, it makes loads more room.

Here's some pics:

Side view of the work in progress, note how high the stands have to be to keep the disc off the floor:

Rear view, note the use of THREE jacks (scissor holding the exhaust up)!
Inside view, position of mounts circled, note essential Plus Gas in the bucket!
One of the old front mounts. Note the evidence of movement around the central bolt - no wonder this was noisy!

I think the next job is going to be the clutch, but that can wait till next summer... :roll:
Richard W
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

That bottom picky sure shows how the old ZX's rear mounts wear out. You don't notice as you drive year on year out untill the noise starts clonking away.
The wifes got a C4 I've got a ZX TD SX!!!!
citroenbx

Post by citroenbx »

Thanks Richard for the Information and Photo's...Great Job.
Life feels good just as you complete No4 Glow Plug on a ZX-TD