Rear door / Interior light

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

user_3150
New User

Rear door / Interior light

Post by user_3150 »

Morning everyone, I have asked this question before and at the time was told if you can live with it leave it alone. At the time I could but now since moving house the door is being used all the time. Right the problem is that the rear O/S door doesn't activate the interior light's. I can't see anything that trigger's them so I am assuming it's linked to the lock mechanism. Has anyone tackled this problem or am I going to be the first. I would just like some advice as I hate removing door card's as the clips break and the never go back on as well as they came off e.t.c.
jeremy

Post by jeremy »

Every interior light I've seen is simply operated by a push switch in the door hinge face. Citroen ones are black plastic and are fixed with a single screw and sometimes have a rubber gasket and cost about £1.50 from GSF.
Find the switch, unscrew it and take it out. there should be a single wire on the back. Earth this wire to the bodywork and the light should come on. The switches usually last about 8 or 10 years, you may be able to clean your oldone or alternatively its earth may need a clean.
jeremy
Homer

Post by Homer »

The post facelift cars (1998 onward) have no such switch.
The interior lights are controlled by the "body computer" (I think that's what the BOL calls it).
I believe they do inded work off the door locks. The subject has been discussed before, a search might come up with something.
jeremy

Post by jeremy »

Didn't realise the Xantia suffered from one of those - oh well - was intending to keep the BX for another 5 years - looks as though it'll have to last 10! Perhaps by then we can buy the kit to deal with the things for a few quid.
jeremy
dieselxantiaman

Post by dieselxantiaman »

Does your central locking work?
I ask because when I used to pull the fuse to lock the doors manually (hopefully a replacement door lock has cured the car unlocking itself) the o/s rear wouldn't operate the interior light and the n/s one would cause the light to flash
user_3150
New User

Post by user_3150 »

Hi, Cheer's for the replies. The central locking does work and all the other door's bring om the light. I did try a search but didn't get far. I will try again. In the mean time any advice will be apreciated and when I get round to doing it I will let you all know.
johnny

Post by johnny »

Had the same problem on my Xantia 90 HDI.
Eventually found the problem to be a broken wire inside the flexible rubber between the centre pillar and the door.
Bit of a pain to get at but fixed the problem
user_3150
New User

Post by user_3150 »

NUT'S I missed your reply Johnny and just spent the last 2 hours removing the door card and getting the lock out only to find it can't be stripped (not without it falling apart anyway). I will check the wire's and if I find no problem I will get a door lock from a scrappy. I will let you know how I get on. Bet it's the wire's though AAAHHHH!!!