Citroen C5 1.6 HDi Depollution Issue

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Marcel

Citroen C5 1.6 HDi Depollution Issue

Post by Marcel »

Hi, I wonder if I could seek advice on a de-pollution problem with my 2007 C5 1.6 HDi. It is in limp mode and has the following issues logged when connected to diagnostics.
Short circuit to earth of the additive pump power stage.
PO245 Turbo pressure electrovalve control.

On a separate diagnostic read- Remote Fault
Permanent Fault
Additive system short circuit to positive of the additive pump power stage

I've hopefully copied images of the actual readings in the below files.
Any advice on the location and possible cure of the problems would be appreciated. The electrician who read the codes has no experience of C5's. He did try to stage a regeneration but was unable to activate it. The code reader indicated that the additive tank was 40% full.

Thank you in anticipation.
Attachments
C5 fault 1.jpeg
C5 fault.jpeg
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: Citroen C5 1.6 HDi Depollution Issue

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I'll need your VIN to confirm engine ECU Type, but you cannot undertake a forced regeneration whilst this fault code is presenting - the engine ECU has prohibited it.

Once I have the VIN I can provide you with the correct info for the code as it relates to your specific vehicle.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Marcel

Post by Marcel »

Hi Marc

Sorry for late reply...been in sunny Wales for a few days. Vin no- VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]. Regards Marcel
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Can't help with the second image as I'd need an electron microscope to read the code!
Fault Code: P0245
Description of Fault: Turbo pressure regulation electrovalve control: Short circuit to earth. Short-circuit to earth or value too low for 1 seconds.
Conditions for Fault to clear:
  • Ignition on
Downgrade Modes whilst Fault is active:
  • Cutting of the EGR butterfly (turbo air cooler), EGR valve and bypass butterfly (inlet air heater) in all operating modes
  • Cutting of the "exhaust heat recovery" function
  • The ECU deactivates the programming cycle of the turbo valve
  • Cut in the programming of the stops of the turbo actuator
  • Switching on of the warning lamp and/or warning message: Warning lamp MIL
Symptoms:
  • Noise
  • Diesel fuel consumption a bit higher
  • Lack of power
Suspect Areas:
  • Electrical harness
  • Turbocharger regulation solenoid valve

Marc
Marcel

Post by Marcel »

Hi Again

Thank you for the above.

Sorry hadn't taken into account the size of the image....should have magnified it.

Had a close look at unreadable report and it states Additive System P1443. Also the PO245 code is read.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, so here's the other one:
Fault Code: P1443
Description of Fault: Additive system (Particle filter ): Short circuit to earth. Short circuit to earth: The voltage measured is lower than 0,02V. for 5 seconds
Conditions for Fault to clear:
  • Ignition on
Downgrade Modes whilst Fault is active:
  • Deactivation of piloting of the additive pump from the particle filter
  • Stopping of the cumulative calculation of the quantity of additive to be injected
Symptoms: -
Suspect Areas:
  • Additive pump

Marc
Marcel

Post by Marcel »

Marc
Thank you for your assistance in this matter. You may remember last year that I posted for help with a random hazard light issue and I believe you offered advice. It turns out the problem was cured by the reconfiguration of associated ecu's. Nothing was broken, it just turned that they had a Gallic spat and wouldn't talk to each other.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

it seems unlikely that both have gone on the fritz, my guess would be one is faulty and is pulling the 5v reference down. Try unplugging the additive tank and see if the turbo fault goes away.
Richard W
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, so in this case, the assisted regeneration is disabled and the ECU is no longer recording the metering of the additive doses whilst this fault is active.

So the problem here will be that and depending on your journey length and driving habits, that the particle filter sill not get any assisted regeneration, leading to clogging of the particle filter if not doing regular motorway speeds where the exhaust gasses need to reach 550 °C for passive (unassisted) regeneration to take place.

So be aware that if the filter becomes blocked (and this can be anywhere from 70% or above), it may be impossible to regenerate the filter at all and will require removing and deep cleaning. So I would seriously limit journeys whilst you have this fault to reduce the filter clogging and focus on the pump issue.

As for the reason - well all I can suggest is check the wiring to and from the pump assembly and make sure there are no obvious breaks causing a short. This can be a common problem, along with the actual pins in the pump electrical connector not making good contact. These should be looked at first, because where these issues are the problem, replacing the pump alone will not obviously not cure the problem.

Edit after Richard's post:
This still applies, as from the fault code, you can see that the additive pump is disabled, so check both Richard's suggestion and the wiring / connectors as I've mentioned above.

Marc
citroenguy
(Donor 2021)

Post by citroenguy »

Could also be separate faults. Turbo electrovlve is a pretty common issue on ye olde 1.6 HDI 16V.
It sits on the back right corner of the engine

No 1 in the picture
DV6 electrovalve.png

Check wiring for obvious damage or corrosion first of course.
I have various repair handbooks and wiring diagrams for C5 mk1, Xantia, XM, Berlingo and C3 mk1.
I have Lexia/Diagbox (Sweden) and Servicebox/sedre