Looking to buy a C5 - MOT issues

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RobTaylor

Looking to buy a C5 - MOT issues

Post by RobTaylor »

Hi looking at a C5 2.0 Bluehdi flair plus 2019 25,000 on the clock from Evan's Halshaw
Recent MOT check was a fail for engine MIL inoperative or indicates a malfunction and
reg plate light not working
with advisories - all brakes worn pitted or scored but not seriously weakened and adblue warning light on
All advisories still present on the pass certificate
Any red flags here??
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: Looking to buy a C5 - MOT issues

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Discs and pads not an issue, but SCR system may need looking at to determine the exact issue, as this could be the NOx Sensor, a clogged UREA injector, the heated UREA supply pipe, or the tank / pump assembly itself.

I would of thought Evans Halshaw would of determined the issue, as some of these are franchised Citroen dealers, unless it was going to cost them £1500 to sort excluding the discs and pads.....
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
PaulC5
Donor 2024

Post by PaulC5 »

I do not know if Evans Halshaw are the same as 11 years ago but then we were interested in buying a C3 from one of their Citroen sites. There were a few things wrong with the car but they would not fix them and the warranty was only 3 months but if more was wanted it was an extra cost. We went elsewhere to a small Citroen dealer and bought a C3 Approved Used with 12 months Citroen warranty.
MGmike

Post by MGmike »

Walk away unless it's silly cheap.

As Marc says, the SCR system is expensive to fix with a sensor alone close to £1000. Sensors are a known problem due to the location of the module under the floor being in the firing line of all the lovely salty Scottish roads.