Familiarity Phenomenon & other unlikely coincidences

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Familiarity Phenomenon & other unlikely coincidences

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

A white MGB spotted Wednesday, and spawned a diversion into white as a favourite colour for cars on the thread of that name. Today a flick through some interesting entries for the Morris Leslie Auction May 18th and some white examples caught the eye probably as a result of that dalliance.

Some I look at the details for some not. This one I did because for one I like a Volvo Amazon, and I do think it looks good in white.
ImageImage
The Makers PlaqueBut what's that in the boot none other than a bit of Tax Disc Artwork In a frame
Now where Have I seen one of those before, and indeed the only one to my knowledge that I have ever noticed or seen.
Only Wednesday this week in the quirky antiques emporium at South Causey Inn.
Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I like that display of tax discs :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Unbelievable coincidence on the Lawn Roller front today. Covered in pictures here.

viewtopic.php?p=799280#p799280

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Let me plant a seed in your sub-conscious familiarity phenomenon storage area for

Houndstooth upholstery/fabric/clothing.

Without getting pedantic about definition houndstooth-esque will do. You know the type of thing. Think Metro city seats.

already the coincidental houndstooth has occurred for me today, be sure to post up yours should one appear. link viewtopic.php?p=799715#p799715

Houndstooth
Kotivalo, CC BY-SA 3.0 <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0>, via Wikimedia Commons

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That hurts my eyes!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

Pretty grim, isn't it?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

myglaren wrote: 14 May 2024, 09:28 Pretty grim, isn't it?
Yes, absolutely horrific. And when combined with hearing-aid beige paintwork...
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

Familiarity phenomenon of the mundane variety, but one of those things which cracked a smile none the less.
It's in the mundane category because the items are widespread but normally would pass by without notice, but for the sub-conscious pre-priming to spot them. yes i.e. familiarity phenomenon personified.

So readers of the "Remember these all our yesterdays" will be familiar with the recent "enamelware" focus.
Well first thing I noticed when stepping into the indoor barn area and bar of the Rigg and Furrow Farmhouse Brewery Tap was this. A selection of games on the bar with some wax crayons in nothing less than a traditional white enamelware mug with a blue rim. Low and behold on exiting there was an enamelware dog drinking bowl staring me in the face!
Enamelware White Mug with Blue Rim<br />In the Basket Behind the stack of Games
Enamelware White Mug with Blue Rim
In the Basket Behind the stack of Games
Enamelware Pie Dish being used for Dog Drinking Bowl
Enamelware Pie Dish being used for Dog Drinking Bowl
Neil

PS. Some of the primings can be long lasting...orange doors.... and stoneware flagons page 1 post 1 of the thread refers and supplies the left hand pic, while yesterday's trip to the Rigg and Furrow supplies the right hand pic.
Stoneware flagons Rigg and Furrow
Stoneware flagons Rigg and Furrow
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Unlikely coincidence.

No sooner do Hovercraft appear on the pages of the FCF as a matter of discussion ( viewtopic.php?p=798938&hilit=hovercraft#p798938 )...

...then Mathewsons, probably for the first time in their entire history have this as part of their coming sale in June.
temp3.png
Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Handy to have a hovercraft in these times of climate change and soggy, flooded winters!
Jim