Which Diagbox and connection to the PSA server

This is the place for all your Diagnostic related questions or advice.

Moderator: RichardW

onthecut

Which Diagbox and connection to the PSA server

Post by onthecut »

Despite having read quite a lot of the many, many posts on Diagbox I'm afraid I remain totally confused.

After a fair bit of investigation and learning fitting a replacement DPF fluid tank to my 2015 308 T9, I am stuck at the last hurdle of getting it fully integrated back into the system.

I am now advised that only Diagbox will achieve this, but am not clear whether connection to the PSA server is also required. So ----

1. If I do need Diagbox, what version and what OS does it run on ?
2. What version VCI and any recommendations on a known good supplier of one that definitely works for my task?
3. What is the official path to access the PSA server, if required ? I presume they have to offer some gateway to other than just their own dealerships.

Yes, I appreciate I could just go to a Pug dealer, but as we have several Pug and Citroen, I realy would sooner be kitted out to be able to do such stuff in house.

Mike.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: Which Diagbox and connection to the PSA server

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Several issues.

Whether you need to configure the tank / pump assembly to the vehicle I can't advise directly, but there will be priming operations and advising replacement parts - so you may be able to do that part without access, just not sure about the coding - but if that is required then you may or may not be able to do it offline; it will depend on whether the version of DB you use will have engine management software for the exact system on your vehicle. This comes back to the model and date of the vehicle as to whether you need V7.** or have to go to V9.** - see below:

1) Your vehicle year is on the cusp of the changeover from Diagbox software version 7.** to Version 9.**. The differences are that V9.** is for vehicles anywhere from 2015/16 onwards.
2) Versions of DB V7.62 up to the changeover started removing the option for offline ECU coding and configuration. So it is hit and miss whether you can 'telecode' with a version later than V7.62 without having PSA server access.
3) DB V9.** removed offline telcoding completely, so you now need to have an account and purchase time limited access tokens to perform any telecoding.
4) Depending on your VCI (the Vehicle Communication Interface) hardware and quality (Full Chip or cut down version) will determine if your interface will work or not. Budget versions with missing components on the boards will probably not work on later full CAN vehicles.
5) It is possible for official telecoding that you may need to download PSA's official version of Diagbox from the website once you have registered. It won't operate without an account and paid access though which you get until you register.

It's not designed to be easy as it's not designed for DIYers only aftermarket mechanics - which is why a lot of mechanics spend thousands on professional diagnostics and pay to have ongoing software upgrades for their business use that works with the majority of manufacturers. Because vehicle hardware and software is always being updated, these after-market systems must be regularly updated to keep up - so not cost effective for the DIYer.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

A related question. My Diagbox has 7.58 installed. Do you know what functionality is removed by going to 7.62?
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I've just been down this road and was lucky to grab one of the last Lexia kits going. Allegedly, production has now stopped and good full-chip ones are getting scarce.

An all-new one is slated to be available early in 2024...

The seller I bought from is now out of stock.

Basically, Diagbox V9.91 runs on Windows 10 in a VMWare player... This is a good way to do it.

The software is huge and usually downloaded as a series of huge .rar files... That's the most tricky bit. The installation needs a bit of IT knowledge but is not hugely dificult.

Diagbox 9.91 looks a bit buggy and flaky on first acquaintance.

If you do buy, look for a full chip Rev. C one.

This was the one I bought and it works on my late model C3 Picasso:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261751630895

It may be worth contacting them to see if they are restocking. If you do an eBay search for Lexia 3 there are others available.

I believe, if you need to run Version 7.8x it will not run under Win10 and needs Win7...

Hope that helps...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Paul-R wrote: 30 Nov 2023, 15:45 A related question. My Diagbox has 7.58 installed. Do you know what functionality is removed by going to 7.62?
I can't advise you Paul - I used V7.63 IIRC with my X7 because there were some issues with some versions from 7.58 that required updating specifically for my car (see the changelogs).

Different vehicles can be affected differently - because of the the specific software involved. But as for the telocoding issues - we know that some vehicles were having offline telecoding removed from V7.62 gradually onwards - it was a trial and error situation as to whether a specific vehicle was affected and in what version.

Marc
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I'm not sure I will have any use for my kit now, as I have to use the latest V9.** for my vehicle, but it's being looked after under extended warranty and I can't use My V7 with it at all.

So my kit is in my laptop bag sitting safely in the cupboard with my laptop which is also doing nothing! I can't use my laptop with V9.** using VMware as this Lenovo (IBM Thinkpad) doesn't fully support Virtualisation which is needed.

I was going to sell the lot but never got round to it. I may still do this as there's really no point in keeping hold of it since we sold the X7 and C3.

Marc
onthecut

Post by onthecut »

Hi Marc.

I came across one of your earlier postings where you mentioned having been reliably advised that the 7.58 version you mention was good for vehicles up to around Sep. 2015 for offline coding. If so, my 308 may just be in the frame, so if you are letting it go, would likely be interested. My own diagnostic set happily identifies the version of all the relevant bits ---- did they do a list of what units became online only by version number ? (If anyone has already found out, I have the Delphi DCM6.2A engine ecu and the Innergy dpf tank rather than flexi reservoir.)

Just as an aside, while I was digging around initially, I considered it might be the engine ECU at fault and looked to get it tested. More than one place told me it was not possible to bench test this unit -- and they were right --- no one could. Strangely however some of the places could offer a 'guaranteed' used part. A bold move for something you can't test !

Mike.