Using incorrect spheres on an Activa

Contains the Activa Register, Buyers Guide and Activa "finds" on eBay and elsewhere. Post Activa-specific items that do not fall naturally into the Citroen Forum.

Moderator: RichardW

Hadmund
Donor 2023

Using incorrect spheres on an Activa

Post by Hadmund »

I just got my Activa back on the road after 8 months a blocked driveway and miffed parents. While testing it out I felt that the rear suspension was rather hard and quie negatively affects the comfort of the car.

I remembered that the previous owner sold me some extra spheres he had lying around as he didn't have any use for them anymore (and i didn't know which spheres i needed...)

Only one of the spheres didn't have any corrosion on it, this one was marked:
I.F.H.S
XA 70 FA
05-10-09

The others all had rust on them and look like they could definitely had been used at some point. Their markings where:

I.F.H.S
RP 62 DP
13-10-09

I.F.H.S
XA 40 RP

I.F.H.S
XA 70 FA
05-10-09

The XA 70 FA ones are almost the same as the regulator spheres that are supposed to fit my Activa. I believe the regulator for my car is a XA 75 FQ. Does anyone know the actual difference between these? I know the pressure on the 70 is 70 bar and the 75 is 75 bar but I've got no clue what FA or FQ means, and wether or not it would be ok to use in its stead.

The RP 62 DP seems to be the correct accumulator sphere. So the only question about that one is if it's still any good based on light surface corrosion that indicates use and (what I'm assuming is) the production date.

Any input is greatly appreciated.
-Odin
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: Using incorrect spheres on an Activa

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I'll need the VIN Odin as I can't determine exact spec from the info provided. Please post your VIN in full without spaces - it will be automatically masked from public view after submitting your post & will only be visible to staff.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Hadmund
Donor 2023

Post by Hadmund »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 01 Nov 2023, 15:52 I'll need the VIN Odin as I can't determine exact spec from the info provided. Please post your VIN in full without spaces - it will be automatically masked from public view after submitting your post & will only be visible to staff.

VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, so not much help I'm afraid as even Citroen Official parts data does not provide the information for your front spheres.

You have the following:

Build date (RPO): 07120
Engine: XU10J4R
Fitted With:
WITH ACTIVE ANTI-ROLL
MAIN ACCUMULATOR SPHERE: UREPAN ACCUMULATOR SPHERE
HYDRACTIVE SUSPENSION

Yes there are NO spheres on parts data listed for the front corner spheres listed with Active Roll Control AND Hydractive Suspension, so whether this is an error I can't say.

Rear Corner Spheres are listed as part: 1638041680 or part: 1638374580 for a cheaper sphere, and are 400CM3 30 BARS.
Accumulator Sphere, Part: 1638042980, or part: 1638378480 for a cheaper sphere and are (400CM3 PRESS 62 BARS).

Anti Sink Sphere, part: 1638187380, or the cheaper 1638378280 (400CM3 50 BARS).

I can't help with those IFHS codes though, so maybe try to find them out directly.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

All Citroen spheres (except multicouche spheres manufactured after 1997) have a limited life. Depending on service conditions and quality, the useful life of a sphere is usually 5 to 12 years, so it is likely that your car needs a complete new set of spheres, regardless of the specification of the spheres currently fitted.

Genuine Citroen spheres and IFHS spheres have a good reputation for quality, but there is little objective data for ranking the other brands, particularly as it seems that some factories produce spheres under different brand names.

For the main suspension spheres, the Activa specification is identical (or very similar to) a non-Activa HA2 Xantia.