One for the train buffs.

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Re: One for the train buffs.

Post by Gibbo2286 »

CitroJim wrote: 02 Jul 2023, 17:42 Can we expect a signal box to appear in your garden some time in the near future Neil?
My pal back in the sixties had a Birmingham double decker tramcar body in his back garden as a greenhouse. :) and an oak trellis all around his long garden made from coffin maker's offcuts.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Rp0thejester
Donor 2024

Post by Rp0thejester »

Well that's a happy thought.....
Ryan

'99 Xsara 1.6 X (Red) with Sunkissed bonnet. T59 SBX
'54 Astra Estate 1.7DTI (Artic White)
'06 C8 2.2Hdi Exclusive (Aster Grey)

Champion of Where's CitroJim :-({|=
Yes I ask the stupid questions, because normally it is that simple.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

An Unexpected Signal Box and one you can stay at...
Falcon Original<br />From a distance
Falcon Original
From a distance
Falcon Original<br />Zoom in a bit
Falcon Original
Zoom in a bit
Falcon Original<br />Right next to it<br />with permission from Owner.
Falcon Original
Right next to it
with permission from Owner.
Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That's lovely!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote: 20 Jul 2023, 04:55 That's lovely!
Councils are an easy target for a bit of stick but Northumberland's Public Access Planning Register came up trumps on the signal box front. The original plans are available to view on-line for the original application in 1987.

https://publicaccess.northumberland.gov ... Z9JLWXC873

and more than this click the "Measure" tool and select the scale (1:100 in the plans) and the measurement units desired, and you can take measurements off the plans, maybe a bit more accurate than counting bricks which I did with the Alston box. My aim is to create a shed "like" a signal box so am keen to get the scaled down proportions roughly right without going for absolute accuracy. Need to see if Cumbria County Council have a similar thing for the Alston Box.
https://publicaccess.northumberland.gov ... hBZqol1RkA
https://publicaccess.northumberland.gov.uk/omt-server/lt/index.jsp?docKey=_NeAoqL38x67d7QJwddsrLvBSbtFIT4GBN6W-f6H77zNTmQByBsGU2uBH5bhaXVXGF6IgO3SZ7rchBZqol1RkA
https://publicaccess.northumberland.gov.uk/omt-server/lt/index.jsp?docKey=_NeAoqL38x67d7QJwddsrLvBSbtFIT4GBN6W-f6H77zNTmQByBsGU2uBH5bhaXVXGF6IgO3SZ7rchBZqol1RkA
Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

In contrast to the tasteful refurbishment of the Wall Signal Box on the Border Counties Railway, the signal boxes on the Alnwick to Cornhill line are in a poor state. . Odd really a decent refurbed signal box can be an attractive self-catering letting opportunity just like the one at Wall Station
Falcon Original Wall Station Signal Box
Falcon Original Wall Station Signal Box
Todays gallery is the box at Haugh Head
Falcon Original<br />Haugh Head Crossing Alnwick to Cornhill Railway<br />2 of 41 26th July 2023
Falcon Original
Haugh Head Crossing Alnwick to Cornhill Railway
2 of 41 26th July 2023
And the box at Kirknewton Station
Falcon Original<br />Kirknewton Signal Box Alnwick to Cornhill Railway<br />8 of 41 26th July 2023
Falcon Original
Kirknewton Signal Box Alnwick to Cornhill Railway
8 of 41 26th July 2023
Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Quite typical of Northumberland, what could have been excellent walking and cycling routes along its former railway network fenced off, ploughed over and inaccessible. The rear view of Kirknewton Station from the "highway" appeared on POTD Yesterday. Guess who wanted to have a look at the former platform view behind closed gates ?:
Falcon Original<br />11 of 41 26th July 2023
Falcon Original
11 of 41 26th July 2023
Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

The TPO (Travelling Post Office) at the Buckinghamshire Railway Centre... Our club Friday bike ride destination today :)
20230804_105258.jpg
Views inside the station concourse...
20230804_101746.jpg
20230804_101751.jpg
The cafe is awesome :D

Definitely worth a visit...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Always a joy when I see a new post on the "one for the Train buffs" thread, another one of Gibbo's nicely crafted thread titles. Well done Jim :-D

I see your signal box picture got elevated to POTD but seeing as signal boxes are my current focus of activity I've brought it into the train buffs fold too. Hope you dont mind
On the signal box shed homage I have been faffing about with Rafters today...with success :-D

I've been you tubing looking at how to cut rafters for my shed/signal box roof. All of them overcomplicate things in the marking out with special roofers triangles, and cut the "bird's mouths with power saws set to the right depth. Complete overkill and takes them ages to explain it.

Handsaw, an improvised measuring and marking out tool in the shape of a straight bit of metal strip, and an ordinary set square and a bit of a trial run with this template. Not a tape measure or fancy roofers triangle in sight and no need to know the exact angle of slope of the roof. The angle takes care of itself in the measures taken and marked
The Falcon Method<br />Cutting Bird's Mouths<br />On Rafters
The Falcon Method
Cutting Bird's Mouths
On Rafters
Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 04 Aug 2023, 18:43, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 04 Aug 2023, 17:27 I see your signal box picture got elevated to POTD but seeing as signal boxes are my current focus of activity I've brought it into the train buffs fold too. Hope you dont mind
Not at all Neil, I'm delighted it's being well enjoyed :D
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

And I'm following with great interest the construction of your own signal box :D
Jim

Rp0thejester
Donor 2024

Post by Rp0thejester »

I think modern day trains should revert back to signal boxes, I'm sick and tired of train delays due to signal failure or a points issue or strikes
Ryan

'99 Xsara 1.6 X (Red) with Sunkissed bonnet. T59 SBX
'54 Astra Estate 1.7DTI (Artic White)
'06 C8 2.2Hdi Exclusive (Aster Grey)

Champion of Where's CitroJim :-({|=
Yes I ask the stupid questions, because normally it is that simple.
bobins
Donor 2023

Post by bobins »

CitroJim wrote: 04 Aug 2023, 15:40 The TPO (Travelling Post Office) at the Buckinghamshire Railway Centre... Our club Friday bike ride destination today :)

Definitely worth a visit...
Also to be found at Quainton is a Buffer Depot. Not, as you might expect, a stockpile of railway buffers :-D but a hangover from WW2 and the Cold War. These were located all over the UK, normally in out of the way anonymous places, and were 'Ministry' stores of foodstuffs and equipment to be used in the event of <ahem> a last resort 8-[ Most of the sites shared similar architecture (Romney sheds or brick built sheds) and most had at least two out of the following transport links to be found adjacent - rail, road, canal, river, sea.
So now you know :-D
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

bobins wrote: 04 Aug 2023, 19:05 Also to be found at Quainton is a Buffer Depot.
I'll be looking out for that next time I'm there Robin :) I'll see if I can get a picture or two...

Was it in the two big sheds you can see in the background of this photo?
20230804_105302.jpg
Jim